Started a great job today...I'll be trying Duration interior for 1st time - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View cappaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Started a great job today...I'll be trying Duration interior for 1st time

I already painted the entire interior for one of my best customers and he just upgraded from a 2500 sq ft. to a new, totally white 3500 house and he wants the entire thing done.

We're using Duration in every room...I've used the exterior but never the interior so i'll be giving it my own review to see if it lives up to the hype gets around here. I did a little cutting in with it today....i was suprised at how thin it was.
cappaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 530
View Gibberish45's Photo Album My Photos

Never used it before, interested to see if you think it's worth the cost on an interior. I would think unless it saves a coat or spread rate is fantastic, why?
Gibberish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

I used the int and I wasn't impressed, in fact I was crestfallen on how it performed. I was smitten and then bitten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

At the price of Duration Home, I'd rather put the cost toward a better product such as Mythic. The coverage of Mythic is the same or better and Mythic is 0 VOC. But hey, not everyone has access to Mythic like they do SW.

Duration Home is OK. You still have to do 2 coats on any color change, for your next interior you may as well go with Cashmere and save some cash and get the same results. The only difference may be the sheen options. Cashmere is awesome stuff.

Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish45 View Post
Never used it before, interested to see if you think it's worth the cost on an interior. I would think unless it saves a coat or spread rate is fantastic, why?
It doesn't really save a coat unless your using a light color, nor does it spread fast... It's good in one coat with a light color going over a light color but extreme color changes it still requires 2 coats. I have had the same experience with Aura. Both products cover great in the first coat, but there is always some place thinner than the other and you can see a bit of the old color underneath it. Compared to Super Paint, it's better in that regard. Duration Home I think is like Mythic as in, it markets for a higher end clientele. Otherwise, Cashmere is just as good for less.

Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 680
View matt19422's Photo Album My Photos

The thing with duration is that the matte finish has such a rough feel to it when you touch the surface it feels gritty... but it cleans well!

Mythic is good stuff! I used 40 gallon on new drywall & it covered well & had no odor!

Cashmere, spreads like butter and touches up nice!

As far as coverage, 2 coats is a standard for any product that I use
matt19422 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matt19422 For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #7

Alright I hate to admit it but I thought the paint was awesome.

I was using a very good roller, on brand new walls, and Duration....I was a kid in a candy store. The paint is much thinner than Im used to and yet the coverage is unreal. Applying it was a cakewalk....I dont know why people say that Duration and BM are harder for the diy'ers, I dont think I could mess up that finish if i tried.

As for covering in 1 coat, I dont even strive for it.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappaint View Post
Alright I hate to admit it but I thought the paint was awesome.

I was using a very good roller, on brand new walls, and Duration....I was a kid in a candy store. The paint is much thinner than Im used to and yet the coverage is unreal. Applying it was a cakewalk....I dont know why people say that Duration and BM are harder for the diy'ers, I dont think I could mess up that finish if i tried.

As for covering in 1 coat, I dont even strive for it.
So awesome you'll pay double to use it when the labor needed and spread rate is no different? I know you said it covered great but are you saving gallons?

Last edited by Gibberish45; 07-13-2011 at 08:49 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
So awesome you'll pay double to use it when the labor needed and spread rate is no different? I know you said it covered great but are you saving gallons?

it goes on quicker so i would increase production....plus i dont eat material cost.

i mite give customers the option to upgrade...its not 4 everyone
Old 07-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
it goes on quicker so i would increase production....plus i dont eat material cost.

Ok, I gotta ask, how does it go on quicker?
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,326
View Ultimate's Photo Album My Photos

Versus the Aura I prefer Duration inside. I like Aura better outside. Weird I know but that's where I stand with it now. Been using the Aura interior today. Semi-gloss. Have to use a different application strategy is all. Apply too heavy and spend day catching corners. = More labor/not easier/nohappyday. I like to put it on heavy and walk away. Viscosity isn't much. Aura eggshell same principle. Supposedly the satin finish has a high build capability which sounds like better viscosity. I could and will apply thinner coats on the rest of this job to chase less corners. Duh. I realize and appreciate the need for the operator to adjust according to the product he/she is using. Been there done that got a shirt and it's full of holes from all the laundry it's been through. In any event, I like to get mils when applying an acrylic paint and I found today that I don't have that luxury when using semigloss or eggshell Aura. If the surface I am painting is worthy of multiple thin coats so brushmarks are barely visible yada yada yada for the sake of a super smooth finish I will spray it.

Smitten and bitten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ultimate; 07-13-2011 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: OCD
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,548
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,783 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Ok, I gotta ask, how does it go on quicker?

some paints just go BOOM when your brush hits the wall........like a hot knife through butter............some paints go on like glue .............maybe thats what he means.......
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 150
View bigjeffie61520's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed using the product..
thanks for passing on your experience
bigjeffie61520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #14

Its hard to explain how it goes on quicker. For one, it flows very easily. Another thing is it went on so evenly that I spent virtually no time going over my work to avoid lines. If I had to describe it, it was like using MS paint where you move the roller around and it fills in the space perfectly even and fully. Now thats an exaggeration but u get the idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to cappaint For This Useful Post:
Gibberish45 (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Its hard to explain how it goes on quicker. For one, it flows very easily. Another thing is it went on so evenly that I spent virtually no time going over my work to avoid lines. If I had to describe it, it was like using MS paint where you move the roller around and it fills in the space perfectly even and fully. Now thats an exaggeration but u get the idea.

I think you explained that pretty well, spending less time smoothing out lines would absolutely speed you up. Now if you can just figure out how to get it without spending money with your worst enemy
Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Its hard to explain how it goes on quicker. For one, it flows very easily. Another thing is it went on so evenly that I spent virtually no time going over my work to avoid lines. .

you mean like this ?? ...........i only use M.A.B and F&H paints for the very reasons you just explained .........im all about brush moves an if a paint needs to be played with i wont even bother.......when i strike a line its a 1-2 second thing thats it, no time for that back an forth ****

http://youtu.be/GTCN7skn3bI
The Following User Says Thank You to Ole34 For This Useful Post:
Ultimate (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #17

Quote:
I think you explained that pretty well, spending less time smoothing out lines would absolutely speed you up. Now if you can just figure out how to get it without spending money with your worst enemy

you have to trust your hand ........no hesitation, just go for it

lay a line down an see what happens....make adjustments as needed
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,326
View Ultimate's Photo Album My Photos

^^ That is why I didn't enjoy my experience with the Aura semigloss today

Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherandSonPainting View Post
^^ That is why I didn't enjoy my experience with the Aura semigloss today
i agree ,.......to thick and for the time it takes for 1 coat i could have 2 coats on an my nerves wouldnt be shot in the process an besides a true line needs 2 coats to develope......some ceiling lines look good until your up close an personal and find this out during the first coat....the 2nd coat takes care of all that
Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
you mean like this ?? ...........i only use M.A.B and F&H paints for the very reasons you just explained .........im all about brush moves an if a paint needs to be played with i wont even bother.......when i strike a line its a 1-2 second thing thats it, no time for that back an forth ****

http://youtu.be/GTCN7skn3bI

Not bad dude. Work on that lay off stroke. (Corner to corner)

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bender For This Useful Post:
Ole34 (07-13-2011)

Tags
None