Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Steal the Painters You Need This Summer

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  KamRad 
#1 ·
Has anybody read the American Painting Contractor article "Steal the Painters You Need This Summer"?

Although we work in a competitive industry, I believe the article somewhat glazes over the ethical issue "stealing" painters from competitors. I'd be interested in what everyone thinks?

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.paintmag.com/employees/steal-painters-you-need-summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I get it. Ethical or not, every industry actively "recruits" new talent. If some guy gives a good pitch to an employee of mine, and they leave, some of that is on me for not meeting some need of theirs. Of course, if they are a drain on me, good riddance.

Honestly, after being in the trades for 20+ years, painters are seen as one step up from roofers in many people's eyes: replaceable and interchangeable. A lot of this is because of poor business owners burning through employees because they can't run a business and/or provide full time work. It's half the reason guys go out on their own.

For every sucessful painting company, there are about 40 hacks paying guys low wages and spinning their wheels in the low ball rut. As one of the better employers, if I can grab a couple of decent guys from these clowns, so be it. It's a win win for me and the painter. As for the owner with the no insurance, no workman's comp, blow and go attitude, too bad :thumbsup:

#4 ·
I agree this is prime painting season!! and I remind potential clients who are asking for work done ASAP. I usually cannot accomodate these types of clients. I book out a month or two out and stay busy. I don't accept the authors notion that "I" am throwing away profits because I cannot staff enough painters to put out the work that I turn down. The author does not take into account: more supervision by me (no thanks), massive amounts of capital to cover payroll increases and vendors (no thanks), hiring with knowing that you will be letting these guys go in a few months (that sucks). I prefer to have a nice steady growth year after year, and not have my business go in huge upswings. Others may disagree with my business philosophy, but I like the way the author approaches the subject of filling needed roles.

#6 · (Edited)
I get the sense members here would be really upset if a competitor stole one of their best painters.

I think a more likelier scenario would be for a painter to go off on his, or her, own and begin competing against their former employer.

Bottom line in my opinion, there is little loyalty in this business. Particularly for the older painter who've worked long enough to recognize a dead end when he sees one.

#7 ·
I'm up for steal, too. Make me an offer I can't refuse. Loyalty is good as far as it goes. But loyalty ain't gonna pay the bills. I don't work cuz it's fun and i have absolutely nothing better to do with my life and my entire sense of self worth is wrapped up in a bucket and a brush.. I work for $. And some day I'll be too old and beat to do this thing. I gotta go with whomever has the most attractive end game offer while keeping me sane,happy and motivated between now and then. I trade my time, body, assets and skills daily. They're valuable to me. I've earned them. I deserve to be compensated fairly for them. I can see both sides of the coin, and I'm with the employee. It's an employers job to keep strong employee retention incentives in place. Kids don't really care, they're invincible and just want top $. A more experienced employee is looking for longevity and stability...now and in the future.

#8 ·
I think there are a lot of variables that could come into play with this.

Location is one. We live in a relatively small community and more or less know all the other painters. Even though we are competitors, we keep it on a friendly basis. A few are actually ones we send work to or partner up with. Trying to poach from any of these companies would be awkward at best and a definite way to give yourself a bad name. Working in a large metropolitan area, and probably much of this would be a non-issue.

However, growing your company by trying to bring in experienced people is also a part of business. Guess it would depend on how you went about trying to get someone from another outfit. If they responded to an ad of your, well that's their decision. If, however, you wanted to go after a specific employee of another company then maybe contacting his or her boss might be in order. For instance, if I had employees and if I wanted to hire a new lead painter or estimator from outside my company (not likely), then I would get in touch the owner of that company and explain why I wanted that person and hopefully they wouldn't be inclined to stand in the way. Or, they could make them a better offer as an incentive to stay. Again, I guess it just depends on the situation and how you'd go about doing it.

Reactions: Gough
#9 ·
I'm an employer, not an employee; but I agree that the employed painter should do what is best for his situation...for him/herself and family. I like to see painting contractors who are offering employment that boosts the painters skills, respect for the trade, and offers an opportunity for creating an excellent way for him to support his family rather than a contractor who just uses an employee for his own bottom line and thereby perpetuating another persons poverty. As someone who had been involved in the training of apprentices in the past; I was always glad to see someone leave after a time to create their own business or whatever....competition from good painters who have been trained to respect their trade is good for everyone.

#10 ·
For years I would say no way in heck would I steal another painters guy(s). That was up until some one did it to me, took 2 of our guys, both were promised the world only to be let go 3 weeks later, promised the world until that job was done, now what? We don't take those guys back. If we looked them but didn't get a 2 weeks notice I would tell them we are all set.

Before this article came out I was talking to one of our guys and jokingly said hey that paint crew around the corner, did you see some one worth stealing?

Still to this day I joke about it but have yet to try.

#11 · (Edited)
It all comes down to business model. Im turn and burn with employees anymore. I hire em on and if they dont fly they get turned out. Most owners hate me. I have most of the decent ones in town. And everyone always comes from somewhere else. I dont poach em. People come of rheir own accord. And i dont hire others that are currently working for someone else unless they give their 2 weeks to their current boss... their boss may fire them on the spot but i dont hire to fit my needs in a pinch. I dont want someone thats gonna walk same day when grass seems greener elsewhere. Lost one yesterday because hes going to trade college (proud of him) and had another one put their two weeks notice in because he and his wife and newborn need to move to be closer to family. Had another call me back for the umpteenth time pleading for his job back because he up and quit to chase side work 3 weeks ago and that well ran dry. Sorry charlie :). Its all what kind of model you want to run. Life ebbs and flows and we as buisness owners tend to overthink stuff..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.