Still Learning - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Still Learning

Painted a vaulted popcorn ceiling and went to check on it and it needs another coat. Just didn't cover over the builders finish in one like I was expecting it to.

I used promar 400 flat, instead of 1 of two other products I usually use in this situation where I've had successful coverage in one coat. For some reason I was lured in by the cheaper price. Now the savings I got from it is actually costing something much more valuable, time. Basic lesson being relearned. I can't say with certainty that it was the 400 paint or not but I'm pretty sure. Regardless, it wasn't worth even a slight gamble.

Anyways, going to paint a ceiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Have you tried the Brilliance? We have not, I have just seen the ads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

For ceilings try SW's masterhide, flat, covers good and is cheap.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
mpminter (02-08-2012), TJ Paint (06-18-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Almost Gone

I usually go with muresco for this or a Diamond Vogel . Both cover well. I might have to try masterhide out.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
I just did a ceiling with brilliance. Its pretty finicky. The angular sheen is to high. I had to redo one because it flashed pretty bad. It was partly poor technique though. The room was full of furniture and I had to do a lot of reaching.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bender For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (06-19-2011), RCP (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

We've used Brilliance on a couple of jobs recently and found it to be very good. It does seem that the flats, regardless of manufacturer, are more prone to angular sheen these days. This is compounded by architects love of floor to ceiling windows and large flat ceilings.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
good ol boy's

Rewards Points: 152
View billy the kid's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
i ve used brilliance and have had good luck,coverage was good,and if u have client who is looking for brightness the white is the whitest..

billy the kid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billy the kid For This Useful Post:
RCP (06-18-2011), vermontpainter (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #8

How about Cashmere, anyone using that?

Old 06-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

After trying out the new WB Ceiling from BM, and a few others, i have gone back to Muresco as my main one. And Super Spec flat if it needs color. Same as for a long time.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 582
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushJockey View Post
After trying out the new WB Ceiling from BM, and a few others, i have gone back to Muresco as my main one. And Super Spec flat if it needs color. Same as for a long time.
What fault did you find with the BM WB ceiling paint?
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10
View downingptg's Photo Album My Photos

no matter what I use I just spray the hell out of them...seems to work for me...
downingptg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75
View Precision-TBay's Photo Album My Photos

I find glidden ultrahide flat works extremely well. Covers great and seems to dry perfectly regardless of how its applied. Its also quite cheap
Precision-TBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 266
View tntpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Swp chb is really good on ceilings right of the shelf ( bright white) anyways can't tint it to dark colors I love it hides everything
tntpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

Yep know the feeling... just completed 67 hours on a job yesterday that should not have taken over 24 hours. Why? I compromised a primer to save a trip. And I knew better because it bit me before.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack pauhl For This Useful Post:
TJ Paint (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #15

Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

A sherwin store rep sold me on a gallon of the Promar 400 'extra white' flat paint as a great cheaper alternative to ceiling paint labeled cans. I tried it and thought it was an excellent product! I actually went back for more - but the price was higher and they sold me on using the masterhide instead as a cheaper relabel of basically the same thing. Funny I never got around to using that gallon of masterhide, it's still sitting on a shelf.

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #16

Dan

My bookkeeper has evolved a really efficient single gal depreciation formula if you are interested.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 75
View H2O Paint Chemist's Photo Album My Photos
Default Please define "angular sheen"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
We've used Brilliance on a couple of jobs recently and found it to be very good. It does seem that the flats, regardless of manufacturer, are more prone to angular sheen these days. This is compounded by architects love of floor to ceiling windows and large flat ceilings.
It's great to have a resource like all the pros on this forum. It helps me know what I'm shooting for when I formulate.
H2O Paint Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O Paint Chemist View Post
It's great to have a resource like all the pros on this forum. It helps me know what I'm shooting for when I formulate.
yeah Scott... please define angular sheen. Is it sheeny?

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

popcorn is so porous that I usually spray two coats on it, of course I spray it once wait a bit and spray a second coat going the opposite direction.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #20
Almost Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
popcorn is so porous that I usually spray two coats on it, of course I spray it once wait a bit and spray a second coat going the opposite direction.
I hear ya.

This condo is "semi-occupied", meaning they haven't moved in but of course they had to drop off some brand new furniture. Really, to spray this, I'd spend as much time masking everything as I did rolling two coats.

I just don't like spraying nice occupied or semi-occupied spaces, unless its very limited in scope and necessary.

2nd coat covered fine. I'm 50/50 on if it was the paint or not. Won't ever really know. But I'll go back to muresco or my diamond vogel workhorse next time.

Tags
could be worse, humbling, oh well, this sucks