Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

To Stilt or Not to Stilt? That is the question.

5K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Gough 
#1 ·
I was thinking about this earlier today, do yoy guys cut in houses on stilts? Or would you rather keep it safe and use a stepladder?

I tried cutting in today using my friends stilts (was kinda scary at first) and thought it went pretty well.

I know the CSST doesn't allow contractors to use stilts on sites, but it varies from country to country.

#4 ·
I use to. I stop over the years out of respect for my knees. That and any falls at my age would hurt. I now use the small rolling scaffolding. They set up fast, become a rolling cart for move in and out. I have two one that stands about 4-1/2 foot and one about 5-1/2 foot tall. The 5 -1/2 I can reach a 9 foot ceiling. I do add a two x four for the bottom step if I am using the upper rungs.
David

#5 ·
I know a paperhanger who promoted the use of them for borders.

I don't think he used them for more than a month. It was a nice novel idea, but that soon wore thin.

The dangers of anything on the floor can be great - like a stray piece of paper, electrical cords, spray hoses, drops . . . .

#6 ·
We've got two pairs and find them great for cutting in, hanging painter'splastic, re-installing light trims, etc. etc.

It certainly encourages you to keep the job site tidy. Most importantly, NO SNOOSE, and always check for sprinkler heads before standing up. Think of them as stationary throwing stars....

Entry level: long halls.

Second grade: regular rooms.

Intermediate level: using them on stairs.

Advanced: using them on exteriors, and for spraying tall ceilings.

Insane: using them on ladders.

I think ON finally lifted their ban a while ago.

#17 ·
The one thing I never learned about in detail were the stilts.

I own 3 sets of 24-48" Skywalkers, brand new. But never used them. The guys are scared to use them and I'm not 100% confident on them either so I guess it was a good idea that wasn't such a good idea.

They'll work I've seen guys use them before, but like others said. You better know your stuff and not have anything on the floor or else. Plus you better know how to fall down if you do decide to fall. There's a method for everything even falling, believe it or not (to lessen injury).

I think I'm just going to go with my original idea and buy a motorized scaffold unit or motorized mini-scissor lift.

#21 ·
:thumbsup:

I don't know anybody who has really tried them who doesn't. Even the ones from 30+ years ago were handy-- you had to sacrifice a pair of boots to bolt them onto the sole plate and the walking action was a little clunky. The newer models are much improved.

#28 ·
We had a large new house with a "great room" that had a 16-0 lid to spray. I cranked the stilts up, used the 6-0 wand, and did it in a matter of minutes. The biggest issue spraying off of stilts is managing the hose, so I had a helper handle that. Like a rock climber, she coiled hose, or paid it out, as I walked back and forth across the room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.