Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Stress cracks

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Toolnut 
#1 ·
Wondering people's process for fixing stress cracks on drywall. And if they are ever truly gone forever. Thanks in advance

#4 ·
I stay away from the mesh tape. Last year I had to fix stress cracks in the ceilings of a home (popcorn ceiling). I scraped, taped, applied joint compound, sprayed new texture, painted. Two days later the cracks re-appeared. I repeeated the arduous process, this time using paper tape. That worked, and I refuse to use mesh tape for anything. Sure, it is easy to apply because it is self-sticking, but I just don't trust it.

#5 ·
SemiproJohn said:
I stay away from the mesh tape. Last year I had to fix stress cracks in the ceilings of a home (popcorn ceiling). I scraped, taped, applied joint compound, sprayed new texture, painted. Two days later the cracks re-appeared. I repeeated the arduous process, this time using paper tape. That worked, and I refuse to use mesh tape for anything. Sure, it is easy to apply because it is self-sticking, but I just don't trust it.

Never had that problem.Did you use 3M tape?

#6 ·
I can't remember the brand...I know it came from either Lowe's or Home Depot. I have a feeling that mesh tape would be fine for certain situations. However, if settling hasn't stopped, I would rather bank on the paper tape.

#14 ·
Fiba fuse also comes in rolls that are 24" and 36". This could be helpful in some cases. Step 1 make sure drywall sheets have plenty of fasteners. Step 2 Vee out cracks with utilty blade and prefill crack or v groove with EZ sand 5, 20, 45. Step 3 apply fuse with ez sand. Step 4 feather with AP compound. Step 5 skim tight with AP compound. Sand and paint.

I also use the 36" fuse for modular homes at the marriage lines using the same technique.

#12 ·
** The trick with mesh tape is to use hot mud. 20, 45, or 90.

Tape can be used with either or, but 'mesh' has to have hot mud or else its prone to cracking for some weird reason. I know from having to fix a house where they used nothing BUT mesh tape for all the joints (with regular compound). Long story.

If your still having issues with the stress cracks check for additional movement (i.e. the sheetrock not being nailed/screwed tightly enough). You can patch all you want but if the board itself is flexing quite a bit, all plaster is going to crack, the stuff just isn't flexible once dried/cured.

Had that problem too one time, the nails weren't fixed good enough and you could move the sheetrock about a full inch with your finger. Added more screws and patched = no problem.

Let us know what you ended up doing. Good luck!

#16 ·
Mesh tape has no strength you can prove this by cutting a small piece, hold the corners and pull in opposite directions. You now have a triangle. And yes hot mud will help, a lot. Regular compound and mesh will work as long as there is never any movement - of any kind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.