Stripping a painted cement floor - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View rservices's Photo Album My Photos
Default Stripping a painted cement floor

I do a lot of restaurant work, actually that's all we do. Our company does general building maintenance but we do a lot of repaints, and remodeling.

I have a restaurant that has a basement floor that is in a 100+ year building. They use this area as a bar, pool tables, and private party's.

They have been painting the floor about 4 times a year for some time. (who knows with what cement paint, latex, oil)

Now they think they want to strip the paint, grind down the rough edges and acid wash.

It's about 600 to 700 sq/ft. The floor is anything but flat they have blocks under the pool tables several inches in order to level the table.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this.

Products?

Time involved (base on your experience doing similar work)?
rservices is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Bust it out and start fresh.....
Old 11-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Beadblast, grind edges and apply you coating
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

And 20,000 dollars later you have a nice finish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

You can rent a bead blaster for about 800 bucks a day. and you should be able to blast it in 4 or so hours. The coating will cost you a little under a grand. Where do you get 20 out of that Jhon?
Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
You can rent a bead blaster for about 800 bucks a day. and you should be able to blast it in 4 or so hours. The coating will cost you a little under a grand. Where do you get 20 out of that Jhon?
Hey you are teaching me something. I didn't know you could rent a bead blaster. Do you have to rent one of those big air compressors on wheels to do the job?

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #7

Your a smarty pants Johnathan
Old 11-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #8

No really: I'm serious.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #9

Check out the HD rental yard. They have a lot of good stuff to rent.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #10

I really don't have access to that type of equipment. I told him I couldn't do it but then I started to wonder, maybe I can.

What about a large surface grinder, or some chemical warfare
Old 11-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #11

The machines are the same size. Home Depot rents them. Anything smaller will take more time.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

If they are painting it #4 times a year, theres a LOT of paint there to remove. Based on your description "anything but flat" I picture a very rough floor, cracking etc. I would seriously recomend busting it out or pouring a fresh slab on top. Then apply a 100% solids coating.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #13

100 yr old, 6 story building the basement is at water level of a river.
It use to be a bank back in the 40's.
You should see the office (it's in the safe). The safe entrance is 7 feet tall. the door weighs tons
Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 376
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

You know it is heplfull if you put your locaion in your profile when you ask for help. One of us might even have one to rent you, but who knows where you live. big gripe of mine An no I don't own one but know where some are sitting

Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #15

I'm SE wisconsin, I attempted to edit my profile but I can't seem to figure out how. I look into it when I have more time
Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,138
Thanked 1,033 Times in 462 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

what are the customers expectations? do they want a monolithic perfectly smooth floor? Shot blasting may prove tricky and damaging on a floor with undulations. Acid wash as in Hydrochloric acid to etch the floor, or an acid stain after coating removal? 700 sq ft can be achieved with a 16 " scarifying machine and the proper carbide blades or abrasive grinding. Depending on the coating thickness and adhesive qualities, this could be removed to bare concrete in 2 hours or less. An evaluation of the concrete profile. moisture content, psi of the concrete, expectations and durability required will determine the system. How long will they give you to install the system, how much time do they need before the floor goes back into service, and how much experience does the applicator have with high performance or acid staining installation?
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 25
View zico's Photo Album My Photos

We are in the process of exploring options for a local hockey rink that wants it's 3000 sq ft cement floor lobby refinished with a hockey rink motif and their logo. We are considering epoxy coats. Either doing the whole thing in an epoxy coat or painting the motif and then using a clear coat epoxy. This maybe a less expensive and durable option for the restaurant.
zico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
workin

Rewards Points: 250
View painting247's Photo Album My Photos

You could try to "soda blast but VERY expensive. IMO, you'l have to grind it all off. My recommendation would be a Shot Blaster again, expensive but will get the job done. If they are having to re-paint the floor several times a year, then obviously there is a problem. I might suggest using a poly spartic product, but be careful, if you haven't used these products before you had better know what in the hell your dealing with as this stuff sets up really quick. An inexperienced installer will find out how much fun grinding really is.

facebook

A job can be where you go to work
or where you come to LIFE.
painting247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #19
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 150
View Induspray's Photo Album My Photos

It sounds like you have 2 issues here. First there are multiple layers of paint that have to be stripped and secondly the floor is not level.

It will come down to how much money the owners want to spend. Are they looking for you to make the floor level? or is the big priority having the floor look presentable

I will address the paint only issue first.

Its a 100 year old building so it is safe to assume there is no elevator to the basement or a loading dock door into the basement. This will eliminate the standard shotblasters as you wont get them into the basement and I can guarantee they dont have 600V 3 phase power to run them . The small electric 120V blasters are pretty useless. I would reccomend you diamond grind the floor to strip off all the existing coating, you can also rent floor grinders with a set of carbide blades called flakey Jakes that are designed to cut off thick paint coatings first so that you dont waste your diamonds on thick paint. The diamond grinder will open up the pores of the floor and give you the surface profile you need for an epoxy to adhere. You would probably be better to sub out the prep of the floor to a company that does it every day. Put down 2 coats of a 100% solids epoxy floor coatings at about 10 mils per coat and you will have a great floor. Based on everything you have described you should be able to charge your customer in the $4 to $6 per square foot. You could get this whole process done in 3 days

If the leveling is an issue and they cant afford the downtime of ripping out the old floor and repouring it then you can have a trowelled epoxy put down to level the floor. The cost will be high . For a 1/4 epoxy trowelled floor the cost is going to be around $10/foot for that small an area, so if you need it inches thick it could get expensive. (the $10 cost would include having an epoxy coating on top). This process would take 4 days. You shoudl sub this out completely as the trowelled epoxies are really tricking to do. I would probably guess that they arn't that concerned with the leveling they just want to imporove the look of the floor and can live with the pool table having blocks under it and save them selves thousands of dollars.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 25
View AmericanPatch&Paint's Photo Album My Photos

If they are able to pour a new layer (1.5") that is your best bet if you clean the old paint (even if it looks bare) you will affect the look of the acid,
a new layer will be way faster, cleaner and yield much better looking results.
AmericanPatch&Paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None