Stucco Cleaning - Chems or Pressure washing? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-28-2016, 06:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos
Default Stucco Cleaning - Chems or Pressure washing?

Hey everyone.

I did some searching and reading from old threads about pressure washing, down streaming, etc. Looks like it's mostly geared towards roofs, which is another question for another time (as we have 3 ply hot-mopped roofs versus shingles).

Anyway...looking for a better faster way to clean stucco. Not necessarily heavy texture, but stucco in its nature has texture to it.

Normally most guys will pressure wash once, then either 2 coat elastomeric paint or prime + elastomeric paint.

Reading the old posts I saw:
Some people throwing out there bleach, pool shock, dawn, and stuff such as Simple Cherry. Even saw TSP and sodium metasilicate put out there.

Any ideas on what chemicals might help achieve a better faster clean than having to pressure wash the whole house twice? Biggest issue out here is dirt/sand, we don't get a lot of rain and subsequently don't get a lot of mold/fungus growth.

The other thing to think about is the 3 types of stucco we have out here.
1.) Elastomeric 100%
2.) Acrylic Finish
3.) Traditional Stucco (Cementious based)

I'm just worried about the traditional stucco discolouring as it's basically a colored concrete. The synthetics (elasto & acrylic) are more liked a painted finish just thicker (mostly new homes have these).

Thanks for the input or any direction you might be able to steer me in.

Last edited by woodcoyote; 01-28-2016 at 06:47 AM..
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #2

Forgot to mention that my first thought was to rinse the house and then maybe use a foam cannon with a degreaser or cleaning agent of some kind.

But that was just my initial thought when starting my research.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 44
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos

I would downstream with a mild house wash mix (somewhat less bleach--SH 12.5%) with a commercial soap or old school Dawn. Followed by rinse, rinse and rinse with low pressure tips (soft wash). You can also use sodium percarbonate (Same as oxyclean) which is Presure Tek's F10 IIRC. It is obviously even milder than bleach (it's oxygen bleach) and is great if you don't have much mold, etc. Also don't have to be so protective of the surrounding shrubs, trees, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by radio11; 01-28-2016 at 09:21 AM..
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

I use a direct spray applications most of the time when doing stucco so you can get a much stronger solution on the surface. I just use sh and soap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Mac For This Useful Post:
PressurePros (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Troy

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

I downstream using a mix of 12% bleach, water, Elemenator, and Cling-on, and will add degreaser if needed. Stucco, I'm usually aiming for a final solution of about 1.5% bleach hitting the wall, versus a typical house wash closer to 1%. Mixes will vary depending upon how dirty it is, weather, dwell times, rate at which your downstreamer pulls soap, etc.

Don't add anything to bleach that doesn't specifically state on the container that it's ok to use with bleach. Some chems will degrade bleach and weaken its cleaning power, some cause violent reactions, and some chems will create a deadly gas when mixed with bleach.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

For real stucco (not Dryvit), that has mold growth you need a strong mix. The areas around a chimney and gutter runoff often times require a 6% solution AND some pressure. Sodium metasilicate is a good detergent booster but isn't mandatory. Our usual procedure is a separate chemical pumping system to hit all the bad areas then followed by a downstream mix to clean up the rest of the areas that may only have very light green growth, windows, sills, etc.

Real stucco is very porous and without a strong solution you won't kill what is below the surface. I've tested downstreaming pure 12% using a 2-3 gpm DS'er (the strongest mix you can possibly get via that approach)and gave up after 20 minutes and five repeat applications. It just doesn't work up here.

Woodcoyote: Your least expensive and still viable alternative will be to use an X-Jet.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
For real stucco (not Dryvit), that has mold growth you need a strong mix. The areas around a chimney and gutter runoff often times require a 6% solution AND some pressure. Sodium metasilicate is a good detergent booster but isn't mandatory. Our usual procedure is a separate chemical pumping system to hit all the bad areas then followed by a downstream mix to clean up the rest of the areas that may only have very light green growth, windows, sills, etc.

Real stucco is very porous and without a strong solution you won't kill what is below the surface. I've tested downstreaming pure 12% using a 2-3 gpm DS'er (the strongest mix you can possibly get via that approach)and gave up after 20 minutes and five repeat applications. It just doesn't work up here.

Woodcoyote: Your least expensive and still viable alternative will be to use an X-Jet.

Do you think he needs that strong of mix given the fact that he lives in New Mexico?

Last edited by stelzerpaintinginc.; 01-29-2016 at 12:21 AM..
stelzerpaintinginc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
For real stucco (not Dryvit), that has mold growth you need a strong mix. The areas around a chimney and gutter runoff often times require a 6% solution AND some pressure.

Good thing we don't hardly have any issues with mold growth around here. It does happen, but it's kind of rare. Most of the homes need patching from cracks, but before all that the walls need to be washed good for adhesion purposes.

I've read up a little on the x-jet systems, seems like it could be a good way of putting mixtures on quickly.

I was hoping to get 2 guys to start at opposite ends of a home and work counter clockwise towards each other. Speed things up a bit, assuming the wash works really well taking dust/dirt off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
Do you think he needs that string of mix given the fact that he lives in Arizona?
New Mexico*
Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #9
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcoyote View Post
Good thing we don't hardly have any issues with mold growth around here. It does happen, but it's kind of rare. Most of the homes need patching from cracks, but before all that the walls need to be washed good for adhesion purposes.

I've read up a little on the x-jet systems, seems like it could be a good way of putting mixtures on quickly.

I was hoping to get 2 guys to start at opposite ends of a home and work counter clockwise towards each other. Speed things up a bit, assuming the wash works really well taking dust/dirt off.

New Mexico*

Edited.

Tags
None