Substitute for BM? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View ejalpaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Substitute for BM?

I've been painting apartments for a real estate company for close to ten years and work for them almost exclusively. Good guys, no complaints. They buy the paint and all this time we've been using Ben Moore (Linen White AG and WS). They always use the same color figuring that it makes repainting (and repairs) easier and I've got to admit it's true. 99 times out of 100 I can go into their apartments, roll out one coat of BM Linen White and I'm done. (If the tenant was a real pig or a heavy smoker it's a different story, but that's rare).

Here's the question. Recently they've been bitching about the price of BM and they want me to recommend something cheaper. Now they're not idiots and they understand the advantages of my using good paint, but their point is they always use the same color so hiding isn't a huge deal. So my question is can you guys recommend a less expensive paint that will do what they want keeping in mind there's no use of custom colors. They won't be happy campers if I have to start charging them for two coats!

BTW, I'm in NYC, so any regional brands won't do the trick. It will probably have to be HD, Lowes or possibly SW unless by some miracle somebody ships out paint that even with shipping costs factored in comes out less than BM. Thanks for the help.
ejalpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View dubinpainting's Photo Album My Photos

I do appartment re-paints for this one place they swiched brands of paint. They tried to get a match on the same color but two different brands. The paint doesnt blend at all. They call the job a touch up of course for the touch up rate and I end up having to do alot more than a touch up because the paint doesnt match. It will make alot more work for you. With a white color though you might be ok.
dubinpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinpainting View Post
I do appartment re-paints for this one place they swiched brands of paint. They tried to get a match on the same color but two different brands. The paint doesnt blend at all. They call the job a touch up of course for the touch up rate and I end up having to do alot more than a touch up because the paint doesnt match. It will make alot more work for you. With a white color though you might be ok.
This would be their new paint going forward. so the matching thing isn't a big deal. It's more a question of finding an off-white (flat and semi) that will cover itself well in one coat going forward. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

Speedhide from PPG is remarkably good paint for the $$. So is P&L ProHide gold. It sounds like this might be like not super low end, I would recommend the ProHide. Your SW should be able to get it for you as they own P&L. It was about 7 bucks a gallon cheaper than ProMar 200 for me and way better paint.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #5

View j_reagan's Photo Album My Photos

in my experience behr from home depot works good valspar and Olympic from lowes works well too. both store chains will match the paint for you but human error is always a risk. make sure you get a good sample of your BM color for matching. that being said a big brand like that will have their color wheel cataloged with their formula with home depot or lowes. call first needless to say. i think they best thing for you and your awesome sounding clients would be to find a place that is convenient in location to you and/or the apartments and recommend just getting the paint yourself. a store like frazee, parker paint, color wheel paint, dun edwards, and other wall coating specialty stores will get you set up with an account and a sales rep so you can have your contractors discount adjusted to what you need to buy so every one saves money. my sales rep has been really helpful doing everything from ordering the brushes i like to be in the store i frequent or even sampling them out to me and even doing stuff like finding a paint sprayer i can afford even if its used and not being sold to me by the store. i persinaly dont think vista paint covers very well but thats me. whoever you go with make sure it works for you and it all might work out better than before. good luck hope i helped at all.
j_reagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

which BM product are you using...you said the colors, not the product. so before I make a recommendation, what would we be switching from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
View Builtmany's Photo Album My Photos

SW Quail-Kote. It's a regional SW contractor product sold in my area and possibly yours, I'm in NJ about 20 miles from NYC. It is available in most all SW stores I have been to. At one time it was even pre- packaged in Linen white and other BM colors to do exactly what you are doing. It is one of my favorite low cost paints.

Last edited by Builtmany; 05-05-2010 at 12:28 AM..
Builtmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I think the AG and WS stood for WallSatin and AquaGlo in the original post. For apartments, that is some high end paint! I would just bump down to Ben or SuperSpec if you have been happy with Benjamin Moore.

I do not think you will get good enough color consistency from a box store for what you are looking for, maybe with an off white, but if they are off even by a small amount, with the little colorant in the can it can make a big difference in the final color.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #9

View DecorativeWalls's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't tried the the new Behr Ultra, but I have seen & heard some nice responses from painters that have used it. Yeah, yeah there are going to be those that down Behr no matter what. I just laugh and go on because it is usually the same ones every time.
DecorativeWalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I think the AG and WS stood for WallSatin and AquaGlo in the original post. For apartments, that is some high end paint! I would just bump down to Ben or SuperSpec if you have been happy with Benjamin Moore.

I do not think you will get good enough color consistency from a box store for what you are looking for, maybe with an off white, but if they are off even by a small amount, with the little colorant in the can it can make a big difference in the final color.
Ahhh good call dean BM doesnt use the names anymore, now its just Regal Flat and Regal Semi. I agree, why not just step down if the cost is too high? Like dean said, go with Ben or Super Spec.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
Ahhh good call dean BM doesnt use the names anymore, now its just Regal Flat and Regal Semi. I agree, why not just step down if the cost is too high? Like dean said, go with Ben or Super Spec.
Never used any BM products besides the Wall Satin and Aqua-Glo. Both the apartment managers and I figured the "contractor" lines were poor quality but please, you guys tell me. If the Ben or Super Spec is nearly as good as the WS and AG we can certainly go that route. Anyone know if the BM colors are consistent throughout their lines (i.e. would a WS Linen White match a Ben or Super Spec Linen White so that I'd be able to touch-up the WS six months later with Ben or Spec)?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejalpaint View Post
Never used any BM products besides the Wall Satin and Aqua-Glo. Both the apartment managers and I figured the "contractor" lines were poor quality but please, you guys tell me. If the Ben or Super Spec is nearly as good as the WS and AG we can certainly go that route. Anyone know if the BM colors are consistent throughout their lines (i.e. would a WS Linen White match a Ben or Super Spec Linen White so that I'd be able to touch-up the WS six months later with Ben or Spec)?
They're great products, both the Ben and Super Spec. Will one product touch up another? Probably not....maybe...but dont plan on it. You should be able to save some cash on those products without sacrificing the finished product. Ben is the one I would go for.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 508
View TheRogueBristle's Photo Album My Photos

First, There are no substitutes! So I would second stepping down within the BM line.

If not, I think about PPG.
TheRogueBristle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 508
View TheRogueBristle's Photo Album My Photos

Also, the brand choice might be more of an availability/convenience issue, but as you are in NYC I would think that unlikely.
TheRogueBristle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueBristle View Post
Also, the brand choice might be more of an availability/convenience issue, but as you are in NYC I would think that unlikely.
You'd be surprised... very few paint stores in Manhattan. I guess rents are too high.

Tags
None