SW Account - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Finn's Photo Album My Photos
Default SW Account

We have just opened an account with SW and am about to go in and speak to the local manager about pricing etc . Back home most trade accounts offer 30% should I expect that from SW initially? I want to compare the sales guys knowledge of their product with on the job knowledge here. I will be asking their best solutions for the following:

Large coverages areas hotels etc

Kitchens

Bathrooms

Low odor for kids rooms hospitals etc

Exterior most durable

Exterior most durable acrylic / water based ( I shudder as I say this)

Marketing materials I.e. online color matching

Can I get you feedback on the best or what you prefer folks ?

Cheers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finn is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,130
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

You have to run with the big dogs to get significant discounts at SW. Been with them for years & the only price break I get is on their SuperPaint because I use a lot of it. I call it their workhorse paint........maybe not their very best, but it solves a lot of problems for me.

SW has several low odor/low VOC paints.......Promar 200 is one I have used and like.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback here.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75
View Goode Painters's Photo Album My Photos

Don't settle for 30% thats less then the weekly sale
Goode Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goode Painters For This Useful Post:
madochio (02-25-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
View Builtmany's Photo Album My Photos

They will want you to buy 99% of everything from them. As soon as you ask for a discount it will be nice on that product only but not so nice on everything else they sell. I like to use different products on certain jobs and end up paying too much unless I call my salesman and say I'm going to continue to use it and buy lots of it. Good luck with nice pricing across the board.
Builtmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 530
View Gibberish45's Photo Album My Photos

I have excellent pricing IMHO for a guy my size and my store manager told me its because I'm "vocal" about it. I also used SW and Porter 50/50 in the past and constantly beat up the other rep on price.

Sometimes I feel guilty because I would really hate me as a client.

I only ask for good prices on products I use on a regular basis. I pay 7.50/ gallon for Masterhide flat and I think that's great.

I know a big contractor in the area paying 25/gallon for cashmere. And I know an old apartment painter paying 11/ gallon for pro kote.
May or may not be helpful but I feel like you're asking for numbers so there are some.

For exterior trim and especially entry doors I like the all surface enamel. I think I pay around 40/gallon.
Gibberish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gibberish45 For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (02-25-2012), Finn (02-25-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 508
View wills fresh coat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
We have just opened an account with SW and am about to go in and speak to the local manager about pricing etc . Back home most trade accounts offer 30% should I expect that from SW initially? I want to compare the sales guys knowledge of their product with on the job knowledge here. I will be asking their best solutions for the following:

Kitchens

Bathrooms

Exterior most durable

Cheers
Finn, you should check with other paint co.s in your area and run your pitch to all of them,then go with the best price that works for you
Ppg is really starting to be aggressive with prices in my area, if you have them in your area check them out
wills fresh coat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish45 View Post
I have excellent pricing IMHO for a guy my size and my store manager told me its because I'm "vocal" about it. I also used SW and Porter 50/50 in the past and constantly beat up the other rep on price.

Sometimes I feel guilty because I would really hate me as a client.

I only ask for good prices on products I use on a regular basis. I pay 7.50/ gallon for Masterhide flat and I think that's great.

I know a big contractor in the area paying 25/gallon for cashmere. And I know an old apartment painter paying 11/ gallon for pro kote.
May or may not be helpful but I feel like you're asking for numbers so there are some.

For exterior trim and especially entry doors I like the all surface enamel. I think I pay around 40/gallon.
To get the best price you got to beat the one rep down then call the other rep get him to go lower, I do this all the time and I save thousands a year. I don't give two ****s about paint reps they are just like car salesman
They hate me but I got to look out for my company
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builtmany View Post
They will want you to buy 99% of everything from them. As soon as you ask for a discount it will be nice on that product only but not so nice on everything else they sell. I like to use different products on certain jobs and end up paying too much unless I call my salesman and say I'm going to continue to use it and buy lots of it. Good luck with nice pricing across the board.
Totally agree.I get a decent price on there Duration but thats it. they actually raised the price of it 3.00 a gal.I had to buy 4 gal more of there ceiling paint Brilliance after the demo I had and I only saved a buck per gal.off of there retail price.The Buck stops here!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,375 Times in 3,757 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Best way to get better pricing from SW is to not buy from them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
Builtmany (02-24-2012), CajunDavid (02-25-2012), HQP2005 (02-26-2012), mudbone (02-24-2012), PatsPainting (02-25-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 294
View Northwest_painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post

Kitchens

Bathrooms

Exterior most durable

Cheers
You might want to check this place out too.http://www.kellymoore.com/locations.asp
A little competition is always a good thing.
Northwest_painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest_painter View Post
A little competition is always a good thing.
The biggest competition we have here is BM, Depot & Lowes. I would like to see more outside of the box stores.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builtmany View Post
The biggest competition we have here is BM, Depot & Lowes. I would like to see more outside of the box stores.
That's not good if that's all you have
Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills fresh coat View Post
That's not good if that's all you have
BM rules the state, it's a NJ based co headquarters in North Jersey. SW fights to be #1 and falls just shy of BM here. Zip, zero other paints to really look at.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #14
Bee Happy

Rewards Points: 25
View Do-Honey's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish45 View Post
If it works to add to the profit line do not feel guilty. They are in business for the same reason as you, to make money.

I'm just getting started in business painting again. I use to paint in a small town but only had one mom and pop hardware store locally or we would drive 40m to a Porter.

I now live in the city with more options. I have accounts at Porter, SW and BM in the area and let each know that I had accounts at the others shop. All three gave me a little more off my first price list than they originally quoted me when I told them bluntly I had accounts with the others. Porter gave me the biggest cut and I have not spent but a few buck on a few brushes and some new whites.

Once I find my "go to" product lines I'll do every thing I can to get the best price I can on them. I won't feel guilty in any way.

We as Painting Contractors have to bid for our work shouldn't the paint suppliers?
Do-Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

This thread should go from sw account- to account of sw's
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #16

View Bob Cirulli's Photo Album My Photos

I agree w Gibberish. Don't just use SW. Use other competitors in the market. Allow the rep's of each company give you the best they can give. I work my pricing. I do seem to kinda "click" w/ one my reps better than the other two so, I give him the benefit of the doubt. I will spend more with him on equivalent products. But I get very good pricing and I only spend $8k a year. For example, I pay $17 for Cashmere, $22 for ProClassic just to name a few. I use only high-end products. SW is so big and they need to increase each year. They need every sale they can get. They are able to make more on one product and less on the other and it allows them to make $. But not off me.
Bob Cirulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Heidi (warlinepainting) wrote a great article on this topic. It is more than just pricing.

Quote:
Our relationship with our paint suppliers is about more than just pricing. It is about an owner or sales rep that knows his stuff, a staff at each store that is helpful and professional, a company that is interested in helping us grow our business because they get that it is good for them too, a product that delivers on performance and an entire organization that stands behind their products and their contractors. Itís way more than just a good price on a gallon of paint. Itís a like-minded business operating on the same set of principles that we run our own business on.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
Rented mule

View MrPaint's Photo Album My Photos

I have been on both sides of the fence on this issue, contractor, paint salesman and distributor. It's real easy to beat up a paint company to give you a better price but look at it realistically. If you constantly hound your salesman for better pricing and get, lets say 10% off your entire invoice, what does that mean to your bottom line, I've run the numbers in my own company and it's less than 1%. So you've added less than 1% to your bottom line and have alienated yourself from your most relied upon vendor, that's asinine and shortsighted. Once you've established yourself as a miser, the paint companies begin treating you accordingly. They put you on the bottom of the list for service, are less likely to warranty a product, will cut you off at the drop of a hat for slow payment and so on. I didn't realize all this until I went back to work selling paint after being an industrial painting contractor for several years. Now there are those of you who are crafting a response to this post about how wrong I am before you've finished reading. I agree there are paint companies out there that offer very little in the way of service and expertise but those are few and far between. How many times have you taken your paint rep to lunch and paid? Paint reps and stores have a wealth of market info and leads but if you treat them like trash for an extra $0.25 of a gallon of paint do you really think they are going to recommend you? If you really want to devote some effort to increasing your margins, focus on your biggest opportunity for gain, LABOR. Let the pissing and moaning begin!

MrPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPaint For This Useful Post:
Nephew Sherwin (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 326
View madochio's Photo Album My Photos

talk to every paint store you can and make sure that they know you are talking with the "other side" be careful thou prices change, make sure the prices are not teaser rates. Go where you fell you get the best service not always the best price. what good is 15$ a gallon if you have no idea what it does for you. here in the Twin Cities there are 5-7 major players in this market. in order to get the best price you have to play the sides to the middle. But again, you cannot run a crew based on price, but based on who you can work with. all paints have a paint that will work some are more then others, some work better depending on the project. Keep you opt. open for every job.
madochio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 250
View Finn's Photo Album My Photos

Folks
I appreciate the input , some very good solid advice there, I have just moved into a 3 bedroom apartment with my wife 2 children and Jenny due to have our third this time next week and here I am 8.10pm at night just about to put the first cost on the wall, I asked SW shop manager just to give me a range of paint, and I will paint my apartment with it, there was only 3 different types, duration, treasure valley, pro mar 400 and 200 , I know there is a cheaper one they do but didn't get it, now these are all gallon sizes , what's the best for coverage in the 5 gal size ?
Attached Thumbnails
SW Account-image-2025267325.jpg  

Finn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None