SW is getting bigger - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 29
View Charisb's Photo Album My Photos
Default SW is getting bigger

And now for something (not so) new...SW is getting bigger.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/she...mex-2012-11-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founded 1936 (the company, not me....)
Charisb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charisb For This Useful Post:
ewingpainting.net (11-12-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisb View Post
And now for something (not so) new...SW is getting bigger.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/she...mex-2012-11-12
Bigger but not better!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudbone For This Useful Post:
Gough (11-12-2012), Lambrecht (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

LMAO, this means sw will own Parker, Kwal, Color Wheel, and Frazer. LMAO
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
DLP Paint (03-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

well, I want to take back my lmao's. it was a bit personal for me. just got off the phone with my frazee sales rep and they are nervous like hell right now. Frazee has about 90 stores, a factory out of California, full load of sales reps. all their locations all ready have sw stores. there would be no real reason to keep Frazee. 2 scenarios, 1 dissolve it, the other sell it to pp&g. so they may be looking at huge layoffs and imagine all there other entities are in the same boat.

sw only bought comex to get the Mexico comex, comex would only sell if sw bought the whole package.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

If its anything like they did Duron then there will be a corner with a varied selection of products at select stores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 308
View the paintman's Photo Album My Photos
Default Comex

Swp did not buy comex just to get in the mexican market. They bought it to eat up all the small regional paint companies. That have sold quality paint at a much better price. Like Color Wheel which has a huge presence in Florida. And partiuclarly Orlando where they started.
They have tried for 30 years to buy Color Wheel and eat the competition, cuz they want to control the price of paint. The previous owners were like Henry Ford and would never sell us out to the fat cats. Ever!! But lo and behold they seen the market crash before others and Then sold to Comex back in June 06 only months before the real estate market crashed. Only because comex had a track record of buying regionals without disolving the brand. Comex has been bleeding red ever since cuz they bought at the worst time.
And yes ewing it hits hard to those at Color Wheel. My sales rep called me early this morning and she knows the writing is on the wall. Shes interviewing for another job tommorow.
believe me SWP does not have our best interest in mind. They will disolve all those regional brands in a matter of a few months or years. And I for one am not happy about it at all. It sucks. I use both companies. This year 50/50. Or a little more Color Wheel. i mourned when the sold to Comex. Now I'm just gonna shoot myself in the head. My material will cost me a lot more going forward. That I know.
the paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

you don't have any other paint manufacturers? I stopped using Frazee when Comex bought them. what I heard was they didn't want the comex in the states, they just wanted Mexico to make the deal they had to buy comex in the states. idk the frazee people are walking around like zombies. the jobs in the pant manufacture business is scarce, it won't be able to absorb the job loss that is about to hit it.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

This is what SW did to Columbia Paints a few years ago. They bought it up, waited a bit, shut down Columbia's paint production and had the Columbia stores sell re-labelled SW products, waited a little bit more, and now the word on the street is that the Columbia stores will start to disappear if there is a SW in the area.

Columbia was a well-regarded brand here in the NW, we were perfectly happy using a number of their products. Those all disappeared when SW took over.
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 980
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
This is what SW did to Columbia Paints a few years ago. They bought it up, waited a bit, shut down Columbia's paint production and had the Columbia stores sell re-labelled SW products, waited a little bit more, and now the word on the street is that the Columbia stores will start to disappear if there is a SW in the area.

Columbia was a well-regarded brand here in the NW, we were perfectly happy using a number of their products. Those all disappeared when SW took over.
I don't think this is true. The year Columbia paints became part of the organization and any other company that SW has absorbed, they all became part of the SW family, I met a bunch at the sales meetings. It will be the same for Frazee, Qual, and the rest. Sure some stores will be shut down due to proximity to other established SW stores, but those employees will still be needed to handle the business in the market. Sales reps and upper management on the other hand should look for work, especially if you are not hip on changing sides or a middle performer. Back in the day when SW bought Old Quaker in the nineties, it took about five years before making a total transition to SW, but some of the products remained as regional issues. SW generally does not shut down factories, since those can be converted and used in other parts of the company such as, automotive, international, consumer brands, regional brands, and such. Factories and stores are the main reason to buy any paint company. The brick-and-mortar part of the deal are the best parts.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
I don't think this is true. The year Columbia paints became part of the organization and any other company that SW has absorbed, they all became part of the SW family, I met a bunch at the sales meetings. It will be the same for Frazee, Qual, and the rest. Sure some stores will be shut down due to proximity to other established SW stores, but those employees will still be needed to handle the business in the market. Sales reps and upper management on the other hand should look for work, especially if you are not hip on changing sides or a middle performer. Back in the day when SW bought Old Quaker in the nineties, it took about five years before making a total transition to SW, but some of the products remained as regional issues. SW generally does not shut down factories, since those can be converted and used in other parts of the company such as, automotive, international, consumer brands, regional brands, and such. Factories and stores are the main reason to buy any paint company. The brick-and-mortar part of the deal are the best parts.
They shut down the Helena plant fairly quickly, it took a little longer to close the Spokane facility.

http://helenair.com/news/columbia-pl...b3ccc4421.html

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...g-plant-close/
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 308
View the paintman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
you don't have any other paint manufacturers? I stopped using Frazee when Comex bought them. what I heard was they didn't want the comex in the states, they just wanted Mexico to make the deal they had to buy comex in the states. idk the frazee people are walking around like zombies. the jobs in the pant manufacture business is scarce, it won't be able to absorb the job loss that is about to hit it.
Ohh Yeah. We have all the major brands. Or had I should say. The Orlando market has all the national brands and had several regional and even local brands at one time. SWP has bought most of them. So I find it hard to believe they did not want the states.

A savy sales rep told me several years ago that there will come a time when you will have only 3 major suppliers to choose from. We are almost there. I have connections at porter/ppg, BM, Behr/home depot and most of the other brands having been in this business 30 yrs. But in my old age and my attempt to simplyfy my life and also to increase buying power i dialed down to only two companies te last few years. And have had some killer pricing because of my volume and credit rating. Now that is going to deteriorate i think. I had Color Wheel for service and price. And thier products are as good or better than SW. And SWP for speced jobs only. And retail cusomers who are sold on Sw, I am 90% commercial.
The ironic thing is the no compete expired and the same original owners of color wheel opened a new paint company this year. LOL! You think they knew something? This family is dialed in. They are fixin to attract a lot of new interest right now.
the paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250
View David's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Unfortunately Sw by me in cincinnati hired all kids and lost out on a sprayer sale because of lack of knowledge
David's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

SW is the Wal-Mart of the paint industry. They have a wide variety of products available but most of them are just adequate. Not the lowest of quality but not at all the best either. Their customer service is based on the volume that you buy. Their pricing is absolutely absurd because you never know what their pricing will be from week to week. It depends on who is working behind the counter that day most of which have no real idea about the product that they are selling. They want to set you up with a regional sales manager who is basically a retrained used car salesman whose only interest is selling paint. I prefer to drive down the road a couple more minutes and go to BM or PPG where the products and customer service sell the paint not their used car salesman.
Delta Painting (11-13-2012), Gough (11-12-2012), Gwarel (11-13-2012), Laz (11-13-2012), madochio (11-13-2012), mudbone (11-12-2012), PatsPainting (11-12-2012), Rick the painter (11-13-2012), South-FL-Painter (11-12-2012), Zoomer (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht View Post
SW is the Wal-Mart of the paint industry. They have a wide variety of products available but most of them are just adequate. Not the lowest of quality but not at all the best either. Their customer service is based on the volume that you buy. Their pricing is absolutely absurd because you never know what their pricing will be from week to week. It depends on who is working behind the counter that day most of which have no real idea about the product that they are selling. They want to set you up with a regional sales manager who is basically a retrained used car salesman whose only interest is selling paint. I prefer to drive down the road a couple more minutes and go to BM or PPG where the products and customer service sell the paint not their used car salesman.
They just opened up a store 2 minutes from my house today, Bm store which I have been going to for the last 10 years or so is about 3 minutes in the opposite direction. Have had 3-4 calls already from the rep leaving messages about the new store. Never returned one of them. Have absolutely no interest in their store or products for the reasons you have stated. I know this is probably not the greatest business move on my part as I should leave all options on the table. I'm a loyal guy and the BM store has time after time gone the extra mile for me. I know BM is not local but the guys that run and own the store are. I will always support that over some big a&& walmart type chit.

Pat

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (11-13-2012), Gough (11-12-2012), Lambrecht (11-12-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht View Post
well I guess I am blessed with a great store in San Bernardino and a great sales rep whom I have known for 20 years or so. they all are paint guys who know the industry and know there products. They do have good products like their pro industrial line for metal is a sweet product.
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
Lambrecht (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #16

Quote:
they finally got rid of the Old Quaker line, its gone gone! good to know.someone that knows of the OQ on this board. I have a quart of 101 ISOWALL sitting in my antique paint collections.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 980
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
they finally got rid of the Old Quaker line, its gone gone! good to know.someone that knows of the OQ on this board. I have a quart of 101 ISOWALL sitting in my antique paint collections.
No, you can't get rid of the NC stuff, but most all stores that carried Acrystain, Isowall, Isoflat, do not anymore. Only the old OQ stores that are still considered NC will. Did you use Acrylux? That was a great product but is dropped in most all stores for the new Duracraft by SW. Do you shop at the SB with Kazi?
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #18

Quote:
No, you can't get rid of the NC stuff, but most all stores that carried Acrystain, Isowall, Isoflat, do not anymore. Only the old OQ stores that are still considered NC will. Did you use Acrylux? That was a great product but is dropped in most all stores for the new Duracraft by SW. Do you shop at the SB with Kazi?
used a ton of acrystain, a lil of acrylux. I know they still have the isoflat, isogloss, and acrystain but it is not as it once was and they got rid of the OQ name and logos. Is there a OQ stores? I know the Riverside store is now a SW store. did you know Gary Davis?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 75
View PaintinNC's Photo Album My Photos

First I will give you my background, I worked for the ole evil empire (SWP) for 12 yrs. I saw a lot of crazy stuff. Ask the Flex Bon folks how the buy out went, thats right you can't because all the stores were phased out. I remember seeing them at our sales meetings in their bright yellow shirts, dead men walking we called them. Also, how about those Duron folks....still a few around but not many. SW only bought them for their NC materials, and they could give a rip about the rest of that company.
I will venture a guess that of the 240 Comex stores in the US all but a handful will be gone in 24 months. The rest will be sporting a SWP logo on the outside.
Outside of the big boxes (ugh) there is SWP, PPG, Glidden and BM. If you add the last three together (I am talking company stores not dealerships) they barely have 1/4 as many stores as SWP...........
PaintinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 10
View FLPaintman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the paintman View Post
Swp did not buy comex just to get in the mexican market. They bought it to eat up all the small regional paint companies. That have sold quality paint at a much better price. Like Color Wheel which has a huge presence in Florida. And partiuclarly Orlando where they started.
They have tried for 30 years to buy Color Wheel and eat the competition, cuz they want to control the price of paint. The previous owners were like Henry Ford and would never sell us out to the fat cats. Ever!! But lo and behold they seen the market crash before others and Then sold to Comex back in June 06 only months before the real estate market crashed. Only because comex had a track record of buying regionals without disolving the brand. Comex has been bleeding red ever since cuz they bought at the worst time.
And yes ewing it hits hard to those at Color Wheel. My sales rep called me early this morning and she knows the writing is on the wall. Shes interviewing for another job tommorow.
believe me SWP does not have our best interest in mind. They will disolve all those regional brands in a matter of a few months or years. And I for one am not happy about it at all. It sucks. I use both companies. This year 50/50. Or a little more Color Wheel. i mourned when the sold to Comex. Now I'm just gonna shoot myself in the head. My material will cost me a lot more going forward. That I know.
On the bright side, the former owners of Color Wheel started a new paint company in Orlando. They have 6 or 7 stores around Central Florida (so far). They're called SunColor Paints...they carry their own line, plus Ben Moore and Richards. Good bunch of guys...glad to see them back in the game.
FLPaintman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLPaintman For This Useful Post:
Repaint Florida (03-05-2013)

Tags
None