SW lost my sprayer - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree102Likes

Old 04-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 70
View AngieM's Photo Album My Photos
Default SW lost my sprayer

I dropped off my titan 440 late November at my local SW to be repacked. I had a baby in December so forgot about it. Fast forward 5 months and I need the thing so I call SW to check on it. Come to find out the sprayer repair tech no longer works there because he went to jail and they can't find my sprayer.

I talked to the store manager who basically questioned if I actually dropped it off. Because they check in sprayers immediately and mine was never checked in. So it never got checked in, it isn't there, so obviously I'm lying. She tried telling me I need to find the serial number and call her back. I told her, that's fine, but is that going to make my sprayer appear? Probably not. I told her she needs to have her district manager call me. She hung up on me!

I'm irate. This is how a loyal SW customer gets treated? A place I spend thousands of dollars a year at. So after a handful of calls to corporate, loss prevention is involved but I haven't been offered even one apology let alone any sort of compensation for lost sprayer.

I'm hopeful my trusty SW will come through with some sort of acceptable solution or I swear... I'm ready to close my account and shred up every SW shirt I have into paint rags.

I'll keep you posted.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
AngieM is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,702
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Damn. That sucks. Call your lawyer immediately....
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 195
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

One thing Iíve learned about large corporations is that they never want to admit guilt. Think about all the large settlements companies make, but itís always noted that they admit no guilt despite the large settlement.

Hopefully SW makes it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canopainting and monarchski like this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW Painter For This Useful Post:
AngieM (04-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 919
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Can't anyone at the store vouch for you? They must know you there. I guess they never gave you a slip/work order or anything..?
Reason that guy is in jail..

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
canopainting likes this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finishesbykevyn For This Useful Post:
AngieM (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 42
View PaPainter724's Photo Album My Photos

I hate to say it, but get ready to tear those shirts up. Sadly, SW doesnt care. My grandfather worked for them and made them millions. My father bought probably 15 million in product from them. A week after my father died I went in to buy a gallon of promar 200 to touch up some thing on a job site. They charged 72 dollars. These people knew me and my father. I'd been going there daily since I was 16. 9 years of loyalty and millions of dollars meant nothing.

I told them to keep the paint and went to PPG. They gave me a gallon Manor Hall and a bunch of tools, no questions asked because they knew my dad and liked him. I'll never bail on them. I get treated like royalty by them. Free dinners/lunches/sports tickets/trips/golf weekends/ all paid for by them. That stuff doesnt *really matter* but it highlights the fact that they care about my loyalty.
PaPainter724 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaPainter724 For This Useful Post:
AngieM (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,806
Thanked 4,699 Times in 3,167 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Standard procedure at SW is to fill out the check-in paper work immediately when the pump is brought in and to have you sign the paperwork. Then you are given either a copy of that paperwork or a tear off tab from the bottom of the paperwork with a unique number. If you don't have that tab or the paperwork there is no way for you to prove that they received your pump without checking serial numbers with what is there. I would be willing to bet.....since you never got any copy of any paperwork.....the your pump is sitting in a pawn shop somewhere. As a last resort call the police and file a report that it has been stolen. At least that way if a pump with that serial number shows up somewhere they can seize it immediately without needing a warrant. This kind of thing happens all the time in stores that don't fill out the paperwork properly.
CApainter likes this.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPainter724 View Post
I hate to say it, but get ready to tear those shirts up. Sadly, SW doesnt care. My grandfather worked for them and made them millions. My father bought probably 15 million in product from them. A week after my father died I went in to buy a gallon of promar 200 to touch up some thing on a job site. They charged 72 dollars. These people knew me and my father. I'd been going there daily since I was 16. 9 years of loyalty and millions of dollars meant nothing.

I told them to keep the paint and went to PPG. They gave me a gallon Manor Hall and a bunch of tools, no questions asked because they knew my dad and liked him. I'll never bail on them. I get treated like royalty by them. Free dinners/lunches/sports tickets/trips/golf weekends/ all paid for by them. That stuff doesnt *really matter* but it highlights the fact that they care about my loyalty.
This may sound unbelievable to some people but trust me, after working for them for ten years i know it to be an absolute truth. I have never known anyone who worked for them that didn't eventually get screwed over by them. It's just a matter of time before they decide your employment with the company has no value to them anymore and then you become disposable. Same with contractors. It doesn't matter to them, how much you have purchased from them in the past, if you haven't bought much from them in the last few months and it looks like you won't be buying much from them then your business becomes disposable as well. I' saw it happen hundreds of times in ten years. Eventually it happened to me. Ten years of excellent performance reviews in a store doing multimillion dollar business and double digit sales increase percentages and i was denied a promotion so my district manager could put his college roommate into that position i had worked for for 10 years. His college roommate that had worked for the company all of two years and had not one minute of chemical coatings experience. That's how they function-what have you done for me lately and who's ass have you been kissing. That's all that matters to them. Dedication and hard work mean absolutely nothing.
AngieM, SW2PPG and monarchski like this.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #8

I wouldn't even use those shirts as paint rags. I'd wipe my ass with them. Then burn them.
AngieM and monarchski like this.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,141
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Didn't you get a repair receipt? I never leave anything without getting a paper to to say what it was, why it was brought in and when I can expect to get it back.
canopainting likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,141
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Damn. That sucks. Call your lawyer immediately....
With no paper trail a lawyer can't help and their lawyers will be bigger, cost more and at the end of the day you might have to pay their costs as well as your own. A new sprayer might hurt but cheaper than a legal battle with a titan! A case of she said, they said is not worth the paper it is written on!
Sorry to be such a wet blanket.
Gymschu, Fman and Brushman4 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
Didn't you get a repair receipt? I never leave anything without getting a paper to to say what it was, why it was brought in and when I can expect to get it back.
Nope. I left it with guy who is now in jail. I always skip the counter and talk to the repair guy directly. It's worked for me up until this point. Lesson learned.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,674
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Did he go to jail for theft of paint sprayers from Sherwin Williams?

Try to get the court transcript. Maybe you can reason with them with circumstantial evidence. Can your cell phone records pinpoint your location on that date? I know that sounds like something Jack Bauer might have access to on the tv show 24...lol

I'd try and make a deal with your paint rep who might comp you 5-6 pails of paint depending on the value of the rig. Try anything to get compensated. That might include 50% off your price for sundries. Try to get a new sprayer at their cost. That could save you several hundreds.

Tough break. Most will charge you storage fees if you leave the rig for 5 months.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 04-13-2019 at 01:11 PM..
Mr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Smith For This Useful Post:
AngieM (04-13-2019), RH (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #13
RH

Rewards Points: 9,970
Thanked 15,334 Times in 8,027 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Have to ask if the manager is a new one since you took your maternity leave and doesnít know you from Adam? I know that if something like this occurred at my SW store, the manager, assistant manager, and area rep, all of which I know well, would go to the mat for me. In fact, they did. I bought a Graco sprayer from them brand new which gave me endless problems from day one. Eventually the manager drew a line and demanded SW and Graco provide me with a brand new replacement, and they did. So my personal experience with SW and customer satisfaction has been superb.

With that said, I suspect your taking the sprayer directly to the dishonest repair guy is what will hurt you here. No resulting paperwork to back up your claim plus the fact that so much time has elapsed since when you took it in and now, only adds to the problem. I think Mr. Smithís suggestion of trying to get them to work with you on getting a new one at cost may be the best you can hope to achieve.
Chimpo likes this.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
AngieM (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #14
RH

Rewards Points: 9,970
Thanked 15,334 Times in 8,027 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

But the fact that the current manager hung up on you during your conversation would be enough of an issue for me that I would never deal with that particular store again - assuming I had that option.
jennifertemple, PACman and AngieM like this.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:47 AM   #15

Update. My SW rep took over this case even though it's not her problem. She has taken some real heat from me which I feel bad about but she won't let me deal with the district manager personally on the issue. Out of respect for her, I chose not to go over her head.

After lots of back and forth, I agreed to settle for $200 worth of sprayer parts for my handheld with the only condition that it come from store that lost my sprayer. My rep has really done everything possible to resolve this but she just can't get that store to take responsibility for losing my sprayer. The manager, who hung on me, won't comp a thing because they still insist I'm lying or mistaken.

So there's where we stand. $200 is no where near a replacement for my Titan 440. I'm being more than reasonable to settle for what I agreed to. I don't think it's unreasonable to require that my settlement come from the store that messed up. Why should my home store take a loss (as tiny as it is) for what a different store did?

As soon as we get passed this last hurdle, I can have some closure on my precious Titan. I'm still trying to get over it. It's hard.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #16
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 919
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Amazing. How sad.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 924
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Sorry this happened, sucks really. But, the SW system has the employee log the unit into the system, just like a paint order, they find the serial number, model, type in what the problem is, then a receipt is printed. 1. for you, and 2. for the tech. The tech, even if its not that store that does the repair, uses that logged unit to make the repairs, add parts and labor, and if any warranty on it. With those checks in place, Im not sure I would want to comp anything to you as the store manager either.
And I would bet, that the tech, who went to jail, probably sold it knowing you would not be in for some time.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:05 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,674
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieM View Post
Update. My SW rep took over this case even though it's not her problem. She has taken some real heat from me which I feel bad about but she won't let me deal with the district manager personally on the issue. Out of respect for her, I chose not to go over her head.

After lots of back and forth, I agreed to settle for $200 worth of sprayer parts for my handheld with the only condition that it come from store that lost my sprayer. My rep has really done everything possible to resolve this but she just can't get that store to take responsibility for losing my sprayer. The manager, who hung on me, won't comp a thing because they still insist I'm lying or mistaken.

So there's where we stand. $200 is no where near a replacement for my Titan 440. I'm being more than reasonable to settle for what I agreed to. I don't think it's unreasonable to require that my settlement come from the store that messed up. Why should my home store take a loss (as tiny as it is) for what a different store did?

As soon as we get passed this last hurdle, I can have some closure on my precious Titan. I'm still trying to get over it. It's hard.

How old was the sprayer and what was it worth used?
I sure as hell would go over her head and find a company executive to discuss this with. I'd be bombing head office for the last year with multiple letters and emails each and every week.

I'm guessing if the service technician stole from you, chances are he stole from somebody else as well. Ask around.
finishesbykevyn likes this.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 05-28-2019 at 12:07 AM..
Mr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
Sorry this happened, sucks really. But, the SW system has the employee log the unit into the system, just like a paint order, they find the serial number, model, type in what the problem is, then a receipt is printed. 1. for you, and 2. for the tech. The tech, even if its not that store that does the repair, uses that logged unit to make the repairs, add parts and labor, and if any warranty on it. With those checks in place, Im not sure I would want to comp anything to you as the store manager either.
And I would bet, that the tech, who went to jail, probably sold it knowing you would not be in for some time.
That's the most rediculous argument as a defense. Tell me there's no way you lost my sprayer because you always check it in. That's like me saying, there's no way I got paint on your floor because I always use a drop cloth. But there's paint on the floor? Oh no there isn't... Because I always use a drop cloth.

That's funny. Because my sprayer isn't in your system, yet I dropped it off here. But there's no way we lost it because we always check it in. Welp.... Looks like you effed up.

slinger58 likes this.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
How old was the sprayer and what was it worth used?
I sure as hell would go over her head and find a company executive to discuss this with. I'd be bombing head office for the last year with multiple letters and emails each and every week.

I'm guessing if the service technician stole from you, chances are he stole from somebody else as well. Ask around.
Oh believe me. It took all the restraint I have not to blow up on every corporate contact I could get a hold of. My rep told me she'd take care of it. She asked me not to, so I didn't. I'm angry, but I'm not foolish enough to destroy a trusted relationship over a paint sprayer.

To answer your question and to lament a little... My titan 440 was my first sprayer. Only 5 years old. And the thing looked brand new. I turtle waxed it so paint wiped right off it. I cleaned the gun filter and manifold filter every single time I got done using it. The water would come out of that hose, clean enough to drink.

The tech commented, my sprayer was the nicest looking sprayer he's ever seen for as many gallons that's been through it. I'm sure he got top dollar for it.

Fman and Mr Smith like this.

Tags
None