The SW price shuffle. - Page 3 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northeast
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 225
Thanks: 28
Thanked 125 Times in 58 Posts
View ShermanMoore's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
But, sales drones who know not one valid paint factoid is only part of the problem, and it is industry wide. This conversation here was about pricing consistency. And we know what company systematically fails in that endeavor.
I'm not going to argue that point. In my market SW is just lucky that everybody else is consistently higher. Around here very few people get Ultra Spec for below $30-35 or Regal below $45. You may like Regal better than Super Paint or Cashmere, but do you like it $10-15, or even $20 better? Maybe you do. For high-end work cost of materials may not be a big concern, but most painters are not so fortunate to have an affluent clientele. If I were a high-end painter, I'd use FPoE and BM all day long, but if I were an average painter trying to eke out a living, I gotta say Behr and SW start to look pretty good in my region. In a market like NYC where BM is king, maybe they have the best price/quality ratio.
ShermanMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 5,720
Rewards Points: 82
Thanks: 9,837
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanMoore;488787[COLOR="Red"
]I'm not going to argue that point.[/COLOR] In my market SW is just lucky that everybody else is consistently higher. Around here very few people get Ultra Spec for below $30-35 or Regal below $45. You may like Regal better than Super Paint or Cashmere, but do you like it $10-15, or even $20 better? Maybe you do. For high-end work cost of materials may not be a big concern, but most painters are not so fortunate to have an affluent clientele. If I were a high-end painter, I'd use FPoE and BM all day long, but if I were an average painter trying to eke out a living, I gotta say Behr and SW start to look pretty good in my region. In a market like NYC where BM is king, maybe they have the best price/quality ratio.
Why will you not argue that point? Almost every bitch and rant on this forum regarding SW pricing is about consistency in pricing. You and Cam want to deflect and talk about price points from SW versus BM.

Is "consistency in pricing" that hard to understand. Is it a forbidden topic in the new world order of Sherwin-Williams?
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: LI,NY
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
View Smearologist's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanMoore View Post
I'm not going to argue that point. In my market SW is just lucky that everybody else is consistently higher. Around here very few people get Ultra Spec for below $30-35 or Regal below $45. You may like Regal better than Super Paint or Cashmere, but do you like it $10-15, or even $20 better? Maybe you do. For high-end work cost of materials may not be a big concern, but most painters are not so fortunate to have an affluent clientele. If I were a high-end painter, I'd use FPoE and BM all day long, but if I were an average painter trying to eke out a living, I gotta say Behr and SW start to look pretty good in my region. In a market like NYC where BM is king, maybe they have the best price/quality ratio.
I just read this whole thread and was about to mention that.
SW gets a lot of attention on this site(obviously I'm new here),and it boggled my mind how much discussion there is about it.
I'd guess that 90% of all the jobs I've ever worked on in NYC were speced Benjamin Moore. And most of those were supplied by Janovic for quite a few years.
Being a typical New York guy,I just figured the whole country did the same thing. Who knew?
Smearologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smearologist For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (04-27-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 5,720
Rewards Points: 82
Thanks: 9,837
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smearologist View Post
I just read this whole thread and was about to mention that.
SW gets a lot of attention on this site(obviously I'm new here),and it boggled my mind how much discussion there is about it.
I'd guess that 90% of all the jobs I've ever worked on in NYC were speced Benjamin Moore. And most of those were supplied by Janovic for quite a few years.
Being a typical New York guy,I just figured the whole country did the same thing. Who knew?
Welcome to PT, where everything is the same...except it's different.
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
Smearologist (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: LI,NY
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
View Smearologist's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Looks like fun so far slinger.
But now I almost feel obliged to walk in to a Sherwin Williams to see if I get dicked around or not.
Until then,I'll just watch the dead horse get beaten.
Smearologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smearologist For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 5,720
Rewards Points: 82
Thanks: 9,837
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smearologist View Post
Looks like fun so far slinger.
But now I almost feel obliged to walk in to a Sherwin Williams to see if I get dicked around or not.
Until then,I'll just watch the dead horse get beaten.
Spare yourself the mystery. It's a given.
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northeast
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 225
Thanks: 28
Thanked 125 Times in 58 Posts
View ShermanMoore's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
Why will you not argue that point? Almost every bitch and rant on this forum regarding SW pricing is about consistency in pricing. You and Cam want to deflect and talk about price points from SW versus BM.

Is "consistency in pricing" that hard to understand. Is it a forbidden topic in the new world order of Sherwin-Williams?
Generally when someone makes a point and someone else says "I won't argue with that", it means that they agree.

I used another phrase for "I agree" and then went on to speculate as to why SW is nevertheless dominant in so many areas. Not saying it should or shouldn't be, just making an observation.
ShermanMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #48
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Intermountain West
Posts: 10,539
Rewards Points: 840
Thanks: 11,620
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanMoore View Post

I used another phrase for "I agree" and then went on to speculate as to why SW is nevertheless dominant in so many areas. Not saying it should or shouldn't be, just making an observation.
I think I've already proposed my theory... it's kind of Gresham's Law of Paint
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,425
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 371
Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos
Default

My experience is, that except for the price increase at the beginning of the year, which was about a dollar, my pricing is pretty constant. Mind you, sometimes a certain product or base hasn't been entered and I get charged a higher price, they are always quick to fix it.

I agree that it is kind of silly having to input a price for every product and every base individually, especially when they have so many lines. But, the store here has great staff and I have a great Rep who will go out of his way any time to make sure that we are happy.
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 5,720
Rewards Points: 82
Thanks: 9,837
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanMoore View Post
Generally when someone makes a point and someone else says "I won't argue with that", it means that they agree.

I used another phrase for "I agree" and then went on to speculate as to why SW is nevertheless dominant in so many areas. Not saying it should or shouldn't be, just making an observation.
You can patronize all ya want, Sherm. But so far on this forum, not a single Sherwin-Williams cheerleader has stepped up to answer the question of price consistency. Or lack thereof.

Why is that?
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northeast
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 225
Thanks: 28
Thanked 125 Times in 58 Posts
View ShermanMoore's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
You can patronize all ya want, Sherm. But so far on this forum, not a single Sherwin-Williams cheerleader has stepped up to answer the question of price consistency. Or lack thereof.

Why is that?

I'm no cheerleader -- I've never been a company man wherever I've worked, just a paycheck collector. However, I believe I've already attempted to answer that question. I'll repeat my response: corporate-set schedule pricing is rock solid in terms of consistency, before January it hadn't changed in over two years. BUT, schedule pricing is also just stupid high for many products and many employees are bad about loading permanent price exceptions to accounts, instead just doing quick one-time overrides at the register. I'm not saying any of that is okay, I'm just saying that's why prices are inconsistent. I don't like it any more than anyone else and it makes my job harder than it has to be, but my store at least has good people and we stay on top of it and rarely have to do after-the-fact price corrections. Unfortunately that is not the case at all stores, and from reading this site appears to be the minority case. Unless corporate makes a serious attempt to bring price schedules in line with market prices, which they should do, that will continue to be the case, which sucks for both the contractor and the person behind the counter seeing dumb pricing come up.

Last edited by ShermanMoore; 04-28-2014 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: typo
ShermanMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShermanMoore For This Useful Post:
Bender (04-28-2014), slinger58 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
journeymanPainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Vancouver(surrounding area) BC
Posts: 2,926
Rewards Points: 686
Thanks: 3,276
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I don't get why you guys have so many issues with sw. The companies I have worked for either have a set price with them, or in the case of my first boss, pits the companies against each other. It may be a Canadian thing, I don't know but if I had these problem with my account I'd be on the horn with my rep every time. If I was still having issues after a while, start looking at other companies, and bring my best discounted receipt with me

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to journeymanPainter For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (04-28-2014)
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there any way to get the price down? Brian339 General Painting Discussion 42 11-30-2013 12:00 PM
Price This..... VanDamme General Painting Discussion 253 09-21-2010 11:58 PM
did I price this o.k? salestrainer General Painting Discussion 25 10-30-2009 12:04 AM
To those who say they can't get their price.. nEighter Off Topic (Non Trade) 13 05-02-2009 06:41 AM
Price It NEPS.US Business, Marketing, and Sales 89 02-20-2009 04:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com