T-bar ceiling painting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By blueParrotPaint
  • 1 Post By Gracobucks
Unread 05-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 332
View STAR's Photo Album My Photos
Default T-bar ceiling painting

Hey guys, contractor wants me to paint a few offices for him and that will include the t-bar ceiling. The ceiling tiles and grid have never been painted and he would like them all black.
What’s the best approach? I was hoping to spray everything in place.
STAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 964
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Not so good of an idea. What happens when they need access to the ceiling to run wire or cable or whatever, lifting will tear the hell out of the tile where it meets the grid.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 668
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

We used to cut and roll them every lease we did at the first company I worked for. Brushman is right about the tiles getting tore up (most) anytime you life them. The contractor probably doesn't care so, if everything above ceiling has been done, go ahead and spray away.
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2
View blueParrotPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Agree with Brushman, probably not the best plan. The best solution is to paint the t-grid and the tiles separately.
Brushman4 and PACman like this.
blueParrotPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 68
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Meh. I'd mention the pitfalls, note it in the paperwork, and spray away. Odds are the next tenant will spend another couple 100K on renovations before you know it.

A TI is a bit different then someone's basement. Most new businesses go kaput sooner rather than later, and the place ends up gutted anyway.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

We raise one side of the tile with stick pins to eliminate the problem of them sticking. Just push up one side and put a stick pin in between the tile and the track, then just spray away. Unpainted ceiling tiles will stuck up lots of paint. You may need to spray them a few directions as well to fill all those holes.
cardgunner likes this.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 332
View STAR's Photo Album My Photos

Great feedback guys. What products have you had success with for this application?
STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:09 AM   #8
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 889
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAR View Post
Great feedback guys. What products have you had success with for this application?
A couple light coats of BM Super Spec Flat should do it. It's not like it has to go on very thick. I wouldn't worry about it..

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 08:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 308
Thanked 9,500 Times in 5,371 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAR View Post
Just as FBK mentioned, the ceiling can be sprayed without the tiles sticking to the T-Bar. The last suspended ceiling I sprayed had vinyl faced tiles. I believe I used either PPG Pitt Tech Plus, or BM Regal Pearl. I can't remember, but it was pretty easy. The job was in a lab and I just left the tiles rest on the T-Bar. I placed woven spray booth filters over the exhaust and supply registers, but that was probably unnecessary. More time went into draping plastic than anything else.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None