tampa bay area painting question - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 183
Rewards Points: 227
Thanks: 66
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
View alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default tampa bay area painting question

Hi folks anyone here familiar with the painting business around st. petersburg clearwater, tampa area.

Im think of relocating and starting over. sick of the high Connecticut taxes and dreadful winters. and I love fishing

I guess my question is there money to be made?

how is the illegal and hack competition? etc.

my brother says I'll do well because I don't smoke crack and have all my teeth.
how are others in the market doing? thanks..
alan is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 183
Rewards Points: 227
Thanks: 66
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
View alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I should clarify. residential repaint market.

I also see on zillow that houses are super cheap compared to new england. I pay 10 times what most florida property taxes are just insane!

does cheap housing equal cheap paint jobs? like im lucky if I make 200$ a day?
alan is offline  
Old 07-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
journeymanPainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Vancouver(surrounding area) BC
Posts: 2,926
Rewards Points: 686
Thanks: 3,276
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
Hi folks anyone here familiar with the painting business around st. petersburg clearwater, tampa area.

Im think of relocating and starting over. sick of the high Connecticut taxes and dreadful winters. and I love fishing

I guess my question is there money to be made?

how is the illegal and hack competition? etc.

my brother says I'll do well because I don't smoke crack and have all my teeth.
how are others in the market doing? thanks..
I would talk to repaint Florida
journeymanPainter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,255
Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
Hi folks anyone here familiar with the painting business around st. petersburg clearwater, tampa area.

Im think of relocating and starting over. sick of the high Connecticut taxes and dreadful winters. and I love fishing

I guess my question is there money to be made?

how is the illegal and hack competition? etc.

my brother says I'll do well because I don't smoke crack and have all my teeth.
how are others in the market doing? thanks..
Impressive job qualifications! You'll do well!
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
alan (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
RePaintFlorida.com
 
Repaint Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,738
Rewards Points: 306
Thanks: 1,943
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,014 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
Hi folks anyone here familiar with the painting business around st. petersburg clearwater, tampa area.

Im think of relocating and starting over. sick of the high Connecticut taxes and dreadful winters. and I love fishing

I guess my question is there money to be made?

how is the illegal and hack competition? etc.

my brother says I'll do well because I don't smoke crack and have all my teeth.
how are others in the market doing? thanks..
wow ... bold comment , maybe you should use that in you company promo

no disrespect but maybe you should stay where your at ... why would you want to be around toothless crack smoking painters



.
__________________
Repaint Florida LLC
1460 Gemini Blvd
Suite 10
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
alan (07-14-2015), SemiproJohn (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 183
Rewards Points: 227
Thanks: 66
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
View alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
wow ... bold comment , maybe you should use that in you company promo

no disrespect but maybe you should stay where your at ... why would you want to be around toothless crack smoking painters



.
yea my brothers like that, no knock on florida painters on my part. just really interested in relocating to tampa area and re starting my biz. whats the market like in your area if i may ask.
alan is offline  
Old 07-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
RePaintFlorida.com
 
Repaint Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,738
Rewards Points: 306
Thanks: 1,943
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,014 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos
Default

just really interested in relocating to tampa area and re starting my biz. whats the market like in your area if i may ask.

nasty ... toothless painters & hacks working for food
most of the time we have to fish for our supper

stay in Connecticut



your post was rude & unprofessional and i take offence to it

.
__________________
Repaint Florida LLC
1460 Gemini Blvd
Suite 10
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
alan (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 183
Rewards Points: 227
Thanks: 66
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
View alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
just really interested in relocating to tampa area and re starting my biz. whats the market like in your area if i may ask.

nasty ... toothless painters & hacks working for food
most of the time we have to fish for our supper

stay in Connecticut



your post was rude & unprofessional and i take offence to it

.
yikes you must bruise easy too.
alan is offline  
Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
RePaintFlorida.com
 
Repaint Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,738
Rewards Points: 306
Thanks: 1,943
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,014 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
yikes you must bruise easy too.
not at all ... just proud of my state & profession

maybe it's a joke to you but we don't need you here

i would never slam any painter / state with the remark you made

keep your Connecticut attribute at home
__________________
Repaint Florida LLC
1460 Gemini Blvd
Suite 10
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline  
Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 183
Rewards Points: 227
Thanks: 66
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
View alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
not at all ... just proud of my state & profession

maybe it's a joke to you but we don't need you here

i would never slam any painter / state with the remark you made

keep your Connecticut attribute at home
I asked a normal question and thought I would get a normal answer. not some thin skinned knee jerk reaction. If you have had problems in the past im sorry dont take everything so personal.
alan is offline  
Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 183
Rewards Points: 227
Thanks: 66
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
View alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

remark was made by my brother what are you missing.
alan is offline  
Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 183
Rewards Points: 227
Thanks: 66
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
View alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

why would I slam a state I have enjoyed and want to relocate to? weird stuff
alan is offline  
Old 07-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #13
Hanger in VT
 
Hanger in VT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Weybridge, VT
Posts: 35
Rewards Points: 32
Thanks: 28
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
View Hanger in VT's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Alan, to answer your question, there is undoubtably money to be made in the Tampa Bay area. I left FL 12 years ago after almost 15 years as a painting contractor in the Clearwater/St Pete area. It was ok mostly. I truly miss the excellent fishing, and while I wouldn’t go so far as to say the weather is nice (it is oppressively hot and humid half of the year), it never gets very cold, which is quite appealing come February.

I can not speak too much about residential repaints in particular, as I was mostly doing large hotel renovations along the Tampa Bay beaches, but generally speaking, the painting business is very different than in New England. The work itself is sometimes quite different. Most houses are 1 story. Exteriors are almost always stucco on cement block, and interior walls and ceilings are always knockdown or orange peel texture. Smooth walls are rare, and there is very little wood trim compared to NE. Most work can be done with a sprayer or heavy nap roller, and doesn’t require a high degree of skill. Working outside or doing new construction can be very tough, as you are often miserably sticky and dripping with sweat by 8 am. Also, you will be shocked at how little you will be paid compared to NE.

Undocumented workers make up a large percentage of painting crews, and yes, you have to compete against them. Sadly perhaps, latino painters are often the best workers available. With apologies to Repaint Florida, the next rung up the pay scale ladder is often filled by sketchy, pill popping rednecks, who usually come with an incessant litany of sad tales about car problems, parole officers and weekly requests for loans until payday. Of course there are lowlifes everywhere, but FL undoubtably has far more than its share. The GC’s IN FL can also be especially devious. It is often easy to get hired as a newcomer, because they have burned all the locals. Licensing can also be a pain, as each county can require its own license. Still, good money can be made if you can learn to adjust and navigate the pitfalls.

I found many places in FL near the water to be quite scenic. The rest of the state is butt ugly--endless fast food places, strip malls, mini storages, pawn shops and payday loan shops abound, with titty bars on every other corner(definitely no place to raise daughters). The crime and traffic can be horrific. On the plus side--it doesn’t get cold, the cost of living is low, and the fishing is good. I hope my admittedly blunt assessment can be of some help.
Hanger in VT is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanger in VT For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (07-16-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 183
Rewards Points: 227
Thanks: 66
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
View alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

awesome!
thanks a bunch! really just needed the lay of the land. cheers
alan is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 183
Rewards Points: 227
Thanks: 66
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
View alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
just really interested in relocating to tampa area and re starting my biz. whats the market like in your area if i may ask.

nasty ... toothless painters & hacks working for food
most of the time we have to fish for our supper

stay in Connecticut



your post was rude & unprofessional and i take offence to it

.
Hey, Mr. florida himself.

I just got back from a short trip up north.

I reread your posts..I actually think your the rude a-hole pal acting like a internet bully. not cool.

I'm telling!!
alan is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Florida/Mount Dora
Posts: 2,330
Rewards Points: 200
Thanks: 4,778
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger in VT View Post
Alan, to answer your question, there is undoubtably money to be made in the Tampa Bay area. I left FL 12 years ago after almost 15 years as a painting contractor in the Clearwater/St Pete area. It was ok mostly. I truly miss the excellent fishing, and while I wouldn’t go so far as to say the weather is nice (it is oppressively hot and humid half of the year), it never gets very cold, which is quite appealing come February.

I can not speak too much about residential repaints in particular, as I was mostly doing large hotel renovations along the Tampa Bay beaches, but generally speaking, the painting business is very different than in New England. The work itself is sometimes quite different. Most houses are 1 story. Exteriors are almost always stucco on cement block, and interior walls and ceilings are always knockdown or orange peel texture. Smooth walls are rare, and there is very little wood trim compared to NE. Most work can be done with a sprayer or heavy nap roller, and doesn’t require a high degree of skill. Working outside or doing new construction can be very tough, as you are often miserably sticky and dripping with sweat by 8 am. Also, you will be shocked at how little you will be paid compared to NE.

Undocumented workers make up a large percentage of painting crews, and yes, you have to compete against them. Sadly perhaps, latino painters are often the best workers available. With apologies to Repaint Florida, the next rung up the pay scale ladder is often filled by sketchy, pill popping rednecks, who usually come with an incessant litany of sad tales about car problems, parole officers and weekly requests for loans until payday. Of course there are lowlifes everywhere, but FL undoubtably has far more than its share. The GC’s IN FL can also be especially devious. It is often easy to get hired as a newcomer, because they have burned all the locals. Licensing can also be a pain, as each county can require its own license. Still, good money can be made if you can learn to adjust and navigate the pitfalls.

I found many places in FL near the water to be quite scenic. The rest of the state is butt ugly--endless fast food places, strip malls, mini storages, pawn shops and payday loan shops abound, with titty bars on every other corner(definitely no place to raise daughters). The crime and traffic can be horrific. On the plus side--it doesn’t get cold, the cost of living is low, and the fishing is good. I hope my admittedly blunt assessment can be of some help.
As a native Floridan of nearly 55 years of age, I really have to question your knowledge of this state other than a small area you lived in for a while. I also find it odd that it takes little skill to paint here, but just leave the state and you better be more skilled. And there are "rednecks" everywhere, not just in Florida.

Is crime and traffic not a problem elsewhere? My daughter turns 18 in a few weeks, and she is fine. Those titty bars you speak of are no where to be found where we live.

Geez.............................................. ........................
SemiproJohn is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
clermontpainting (07-16-2015), slinger58 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
journeymanPainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Vancouver(surrounding area) BC
Posts: 2,926
Rewards Points: 686
Thanks: 3,276
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Can we kill this thread already?
journeymanPainter is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeymanPainter For This Useful Post:
daArch (07-16-2015), Wolfgang (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 5,716
Rewards Points: 82
Thanks: 9,834
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter
Can we kill this thread already?
Nah, this zip code bias thing is kinda interesting.
__________________
Hanging on by a thread,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slinger58 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #19
Renegade Mod
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,147
Rewards Points: 516
Thanks: 7,386
Thanked 8,617 Times in 4,014 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Yup.
__________________
Sweeping the streets of PT, one day at a time.
Wolfgang is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wolfgang For This Useful Post:
daArch (07-16-2015), Delta Painting (07-17-2015), DrakeB (07-17-2015)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from the SF Bay Area beedoola New Member Introductions 1 05-17-2015 08:23 PM
Bay area painters Clearlycut General Painting Discussion 4 12-03-2013 04:01 PM
Tampa Bay Area Pretty Handy Mandi General Painting Discussion 6 11-26-2013 08:14 AM
Hello From SFO Bay Area workin'man New Member Introductions 13 02-13-2013 07:44 PM
Tampa Bay Florida painting IP1972 General Painting Discussion 2 02-23-2008 11:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com