texturized ceilings - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
dubinpainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South Shore Massachusetts
Posts: 591
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 150
Thanked 119 Times in 77 Posts
View dubinpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default texturized ceilings

I have been doing alot of texturized ceilings and found that it takes a ridiculous amout of time to cut in. I have been using a 4" brush to cut and have to go over what I have already done several times. What is the most effective fastest way to cut in a textured ceiling?
dubinpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
314 255-2201
 
Diversers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 199
Rewards Points: 150
Thanks: 37
Thanked 59 Times in 35 Posts
View Diversers's Photo Album My Photos
Default

If you looking for speed you can always either spray it or bump it, but I've experience the same thing when it come to popcorn ceilings.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Diversers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
aaron61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: clearwater,fl
Posts: 6,326
Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanks: 3,034
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos
Default

What do you mean texturized??? We NEVER roll popcorn ceilings,we always spray em
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dubinpainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South Shore Massachusetts
Posts: 591
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 150
Thanked 119 Times in 77 Posts
View dubinpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Apartment turnover Re-paint hit ceiling with fresh coat of paint
dubinpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
aaron61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: clearwater,fl
Posts: 6,326
Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanks: 3,034
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinpainting View Post
Apartment turnover Re-paint hit ceiling with fresh coat of paint
WTF
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
BC_Painter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 442
Thanked 399 Times in 272 Posts
View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinpainting View Post
I have been doing alot of texturized ceilings and found that it takes a ridiculous amout of time to cut in. I have been using a 4" brush to cut and have to go over what I have already done several times. What is the most effective fastest way to cut in a textured ceiling?
I spray every single one.

I have a set system to get in and out doing ceilings FAST now. typically I can get a 2,000 square foot house done in 2-3 days depending on how many rooms are in the place, with a helper protecting everything if we are not touching the walls. The prep is 90% of the work, spraying takes no time at all.

Get quick with your system and you'll blow every guy doing them by hand out of the water.
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,257
Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanks: 1,564
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos
Default

While i'll agree that spraying is definitley the best option for textured ceilings, there are some jobs where it's either just not worth the time it takes to mask, or spraying is just not possible. It happens.

When I get in those situations I roll the cut lines with a whizz. Way faster than trying to brush them.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Capt-sheetrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NewBern NC
Posts: 971
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 389
Thanked 363 Times in 242 Posts
View Capt-sheetrock's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Try this,,,, Take a "small straight screw diver (like a 1/4")" go around the perimiter of the room, and scrape it.
Then you can either cut in, or tape your plastic, depending on whether your doing the wall or ceiing.
__________________
"When the government becomes destructive of freedom,,it's the right of the people to alter or abolish it",,,,,,,,Thomas Jefferson,,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Who is John Galt ??
Capt-sheetrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
BC_Painter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 442
Thanked 399 Times in 272 Posts
View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
While i'll agree that spraying is definitley the best option for textured ceilings, there are some jobs where it's either just not worth the time it takes to mask, or spraying is just not possible. It happens.

When I get in those situations I roll the cut lines with a whizz. Way faster than trying to brush them.
You are right, there ARE times where spraying is not feasible ( thinks about that swimming pool you painted above )

In this case I also whizz roll the edges, hopefully doing the walls too
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,257
Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanks: 1,564
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Painter View Post
You are right, there ARE times where spraying is not feasible ( thinks about that swimming pool you painted above )

In this case I also whizz roll the edges, hopefully doing the walls too
I sprayed that. I sprayed the walls too

I wouldn't have even attempted to cut and roll that ceiling - that would have taken forever!!!

I'm more talking about resi stuff where the area is so full of 'stuff' that masking it all is just too much - or where it's just 1 very small ceiling and masking just isn't worth the time it takes.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
BC_Painter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 442
Thanked 399 Times in 272 Posts
View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
I sprayed that. I sprayed the walls too

I wouldn't have even attempted to cut and roll that ceiling - that would have taken forever!!!

I'm more talking about resi stuff where the area is so full of 'stuff' that masking it all is just too much - or where it's just 1 very small ceiling and masking just isn't worth the time it takes.
Oh you sprayed it eh, damn, a LOT o prep!

Must have been fun, but best if you can manage it.

I don't mind spraying little ceilings, it takes me NO time to mask off a bathroom or other small room.

If there are many things in the room it's all gotta be covered anyways so it's not much more to cover the walls too! I can't actually remember the last time I couldn't spray a ceiling out efficiently.

Then again I've done a TONNE of ceilings ( just not above pools )

I bought a straight up graco gun and a 6 foot extension for it so I can spray second floor vaulted ceilings from just a stepladder
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,257
Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanks: 1,564
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Painter View Post
Oh you sprayed it eh, damn, a LOT o prep!

Must have been fun, but best if you can manage it.

I don't mind spraying little ceilings, it takes me NO time to mask off a bathroom or other small room.

If there are many things in the room it's all gotta be covered anyways so it's not much more to cover the walls too! I can't actually remember the last time I couldn't spray a ceiling out efficiently.

Then again I've done a TONNE of ceilings ( just not above pools )

I bought a straight up graco gun and a 6 foot extension for it so I can spray second floor vaulted ceilings from just a stepladder
It wasn't much masking really, just the floors, a couple of windows and plastic over the pool. Other than that the room was basically a big empty box.

Those extensions are hard to use!! I have an 80 incher that I bought to spray some high dome ceilings in a big job we did a couple of years ago. They work great for being able to reach tight spots but damn are they hard to control!!
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BC_Painter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 442
Thanked 399 Times in 272 Posts
View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
It wasn't much masking really, just the floors, a couple of windows and plastic over the pool. Other than that the room was basically a big empty box.

Those extensions are hard to use!! I have an 80 incher that I bought to spray some high dome ceilings in a big job we did a couple of years ago. They work great for being able to reach tight spots but damn are they hard to control!!
Ever use the pressure washer extension guns? I had to pressure wash the telus building on enterprise, it was easiest to use the extendable gun that goes to 18 feet I think? When there is a lot of water coming out of the end, and MASSIVE flex in the tubing, THAT is hard to control.

I had people coming out all day saying I must have some crazy upper body strength! Really I had the thing basically stuck to my waste and just used my arms to control the waving
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #14
314 255-2201
 
Diversers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 199
Rewards Points: 150
Thanks: 37
Thanked 59 Times in 35 Posts
View Diversers's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
While i'll agree that spraying is definitley the best option for textured ceilings, there are some jobs where it's either just not worth the time it takes to mask, or spraying is just not possible. It happens.

When I get in those situations I roll the cut lines with a whizz. Way faster than trying to brush them.
Or you can just use the accrubrush. LOL LOL
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Diversers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PW factory ceilings WAGGZ Pressure Washing 21 12-16-2009 10:20 PM
Pool Ceilings zico General Painting Discussion 3 07-09-2009 07:51 PM
estimating ceilings Chollie General Painting Discussion 12 02-12-2009 11:05 PM
Texture ceilings fcsoldier Surface Preparation and Application 9 11-30-2008 06:15 PM
Ceilings CobraCDN Photos of Project and Equipment 4 01-13-2008 02:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com