Is there a better way? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 10-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View Thomas Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Is there a better way?

So it seems like all I have been doing is painting windows. A lot of darn windows. Now I have some window grilles to paint. Some 35 light inserts and some 15 light inserts.

I am thinking HVLP for the interior color, then use a cheap 3" roller from HD that comes with its own roller tray as part of the packing. he back (outer) side od the grilles are flat so I find that using that little roller works the best .... just load it with paint ... then unload a bit of the paint on some cardboard then roll the grille.

Anyone have a better way?

Not looking forward to doing these (2x35 4x15) Dark grren inside and of white outside. I just hope I get one more warm day so I can spray the interior part.
Thomas Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

If you need the lines to be super sharp and find the paint wants to wrap around a little when you roll the outer color, so could spray or paint the outer color first and then run a a piece of tape on the flat part so you can spray the inside portion with no over spray on the exterior side.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #3

Not a bad idea ... but I would be worried about the paint coming off with the tape. Some of the grilles are plastic. Maybe since they have been painted before I would be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Like you, I'd spray one side and brush/roll the other. Too bad they are not the same color on both sides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

I hate it when i come across multi colored window grids, often can be really flimsy. I normaly only come across wooden ones. I do as you already suggested spray the detailed side and roll the flat side. The tape idea works well if you give pleanty enough time to dry befor lightly applying the tape.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000
View JNLP's Photo Album My Photos

I'd try spraying both sides. Spray the non detailed side first, then set on something very flat to spray the other side. If you spray directly down & very lightly, they could come out nice. Just don't move them till they are completely dry so you don't get paint on the backs. Do a test run with one & see how it works.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Paint to fish

I tried spraying both sides once without taping the flat side off, just laying them on rosin paper and the airless would move them and mess up the one side FWIW. If you are using HVLP and they are not too light, it might work.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

i would get an illegal alien to do this job,,,,he will have it done before lunch, and youll be able to go on to less tedious tasks
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #9

I think I will try the tape idea. I can paint the outer side Tuesday and maybe if it warms up at all here I can spray the interior side.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
Paint to fish

Hey John, if you run slow this winter and I have extra work, could I sub your illegal from you? What would the sub rate be? I took some spanish in high school, so I should be able to give some basic instruction (Rapido, muy rapido, you know, the basics).
Old 10-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 380
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

Your if you have it a little Air touch up gun. They spray a nice fan and I have ran just about every thing through one. Granted some times real thin. The one gun that I will replace. Just love them for small projects.

Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

yes,my guys legit, he has a ssn, and will be 1099'd. i bill him out for $30 per hour. he is really quick, and shows up on time. he has no problem driving/swimming/scaling for work. he said he has a lot of freinds too.
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

your 1099'ing him so he is a sub???

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #14
Painting Ontario

Rewards Points: 10
View jcm664's Photo Album My Photos

We've done it many ways, but spraying HVLP rhe profile side and whiz rolling the flat seems to be the most proficient. Put a less skilled painter on the rolling part. Incidentally, when we need clean saw horses for each spray cycle we wipe them with a rag then apply a 2 inch band of masking tape to the horses and they are like new again.
jcm664 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None