Is there a "GOOD" enamel Undercoater out there??? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Michael H's Photo Album My Photos
Default Is there a "GOOD" enamel Undercoater out there???

I have had less than desirable results using Sherwin Williams Multi-Purpose Oil Primer to prime previously varnished kitchen cabinets. For what I wanted, this seemed to be the best choice at SWP. The primer went on bad (kinda sticky), did not level at all and even worse did not sand well. The primer made plenty of dust but seemed to take a great deal of time and effort to bring smooth. I used to use Dutch Standard Alkyd Enamel Undercoater (showing my age) and it was so nice to work with and always left a super smooth surface with minimal sanding. I try to avoid the alkyds but never seemed to get the results I want with latex primers on cabinet work. Of course I am old school and I am brushing and roll/back brushing these surfaces. I plan to finish with Pro-Classic Latex which I have had satisfactory results with in the past on trim work. Anyone know of a good enamel undercoater please let me know. Thanks!
Michael H is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

This has always been the best for me. But if I want to go waterborne after alot of testing I actually like Zinssers Primecoat2 (only at HD I think).

It sands up nice like a UB should.

Last edited by BrushJockey; 01-24-2012 at 06:25 PM..
BrushJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrushJockey For This Useful Post:
Michael H (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

PPG has a great latex enamel undercoater. Used it many times. Don,t need an oil unless you are trying to hold back tannins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
Michael H (01-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 572
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushJockey View Post
This has always been the best for me. But if I want to go waterborne after alot of testing I actually like Zinssers Primecoat2 (only at HD I think).

It sands up nice like a UB should.
+1 on the BM enamel underbody. I have always liked working with that stuff, and I really think its a great product.
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpminter For This Useful Post:
Michael H (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 508
View TheRogueBristle's Photo Album My Photos

I have used a lot of BM's Alkyd Enamel Undercoater, both sprayed and brushed/rolled. Always got good flow, leveling, sandability and holdout. Super nice under Impervo.

I struggle because as I'd like to move away from oils I find it hard to match their performance in waterbornes. PPGs Latex Enamel Undercoater has as good a sandability as I've seen in a waterborne and Has a decent build, but doesn't compare in tannin blocking or quality of finish. It does have the trade off of quick dry time and low odor/toxicity.

I've used both according to what was needed for the job, but if you have the time and budget (and a strong constitution or a respirator) go oil all the way. I have also used a lot of BMs Fresh Start All Purpose Primer with good results. Please share your experiences, but the only real difference I could see between that and the undercoater was that the undercoater had better holdout.

Last edited by TheRogueBristle; 01-24-2012 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Damn iPad typing
TheRogueBristle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRogueBristle For This Useful Post:
Michael H (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
View Michael H's Photo Album My Photos

Unfortunately Ben Moore no longer available locally. I have driven many miles to get Satin Impervo for some clients that I painted trim for 15 years prior that insisted that I use the same product I did then. Truely amazing finish IMO and theirs as well. I really should have made the trip for the undercoater because the more I think about it I am pretty sure I used it before and did like it...."next time" !! Thanks again to all of you!!
Michael H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
View Builtmany's Photo Album My Photos

I believe SW still makes one, I used it years ago with pretty good results.
Builtmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75
View Nephew Sherwin's Photo Album My Photos

For WB I would recommend the premium wall and wood primer, great sandability. If you can get it , meaning you don't have any VOC restrictions I would try the sw easy sand alkyd primer.
Nephew Sherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
World Champion

Rewards Points: 150
View HeadHoncho's Photo Album My Photos

I'm looking for a WB primer/UC that can be tinted to any color and still be super easy to sand, similar to a lacquer undercoater. Trying to get away from lacquer stuff.

Has anyone found a primer/UC that comes in different tint bases?

My reason for this would be for custom wood finishes that get distressed/rub through.

HeadHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

WB primer, bullseye interior is great.

Oil, the fresh start is good, or coverstain is good.

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesion, alkyd, primer, sandable, undercoater