things that make you go...Huh? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree72Likes

Old 04-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default things that make you go...Huh?

I know i've posted some pretty crazy stuff on PT, but this one......well just hear me out.

A guy calls me up, i have no idea who he is. Tells me he got my name and number from a friend of his who is a painter. He tells me he painted his deceased grandfathers house last summer and now the paint is "falling off" the house! He says the people at the place he bought his paint won't do anything, not even return his purchase price and would i look at it and tell him the best way to "fix" it so he can get the house sold.

So i say yes i would take a look at it but i would not get involved with any legal issues with the previous paint supplier and i would have to have him sign a disclaimer to that effect. I would ONLY be telling him the best way to fix it and nothing else. He says ok. So i tell him i will meet him at the house after i close on Saturday, and ask him the address. He says **** State Route ***. I drive past that house every day and knew exactly which house it was.

So i meet him there after i close and walk up to the house and it IS literally falling off the house. I could grab it in both hands and pull a 3' x 6' or more piece off.

This house hasn't been painted in at least 40 years. Wood siding. Not a square inch of paint remaining on any of the areas the paint peeled off. Just dead, wet, moldy wood siding.

So i ask him "what paint did you use"

Of course the response was "i used the best thing i could find. That paint and primer SW stuff that Lowe's sells."

I ask, "was it Infinity?"

"yeah, and i paid one hell of a price for it too! They said it had a primer in it and would work on bare wood no problem! They said it was the same thing as that Superpaint stuff SW sells in their stores" (wrong! It's actually Durations)

Then i say, "there isn't any paint that goddamn super!"

"so do you sell anything that will work?"

"well yeah, if you scrape and sand all that wood back to actual wood. If there IS any wood under that dead stuff."

"hell i can't do all that! I just want to put a quick coat of paint on it so i can sell it!"

(mind you, this house had NO guttering on it and the asphalt shingles looked like they had 3" of green, whatever on them. Around two sides of the house there were grooves probably 8" deep from the rain water just running off the roof, so you know damn well the foundation is shot)

So i give him the scoop. "Have a home inspector look at the ENTIRE house to see if the structure is savable, and if he says it IS, strip off ALL the wood siding and reside the entire house because there is nothing that can be saved as far as what I can see on the exterior. Nothing!"

I pulled back a piece of siding that was separating from the sheathing underneath, and the backside of wood was black it was in such bad shape. The sheathing was rotting as well. I would find it hard to believe that the exterior wall studs weren't rotting as well.

Well of course he thought i was full of 5hit, and he said he was just going to put some Walmart paint on it and "sell the damn thing".

Honestly, a fire would be the best idea at this point. He would make more money selling that lot as a "prepared for building" lot than trying to sell that house. The house is probably cutting the value of that property by 2/3's at least. But as wet as it is now, i doubt if he could even get it to burn!

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
LowesOfficial (04-18-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 5,522
Thanked 15,391 Times in 8,070 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I am never surprised by the level of stupidity some people manage to achieve.
chrisn likes this.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 280
View rosespainting's Photo Album My Photos

We had some one ask if we could flip over the rotting deck boards, and use the other side... Preparing to stain a deck, and some boards and joints are rotting. to the point where you can stick a pencil clear through the board. The HO (who was very smart, some kind of doctor) asked if we could just flip the boards over and use the good side.

this may not have been such a WTF moment, but we were all standing on the deck looking through a rotten board to the ground beneath it.
rosespainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 24
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Wow, PAC, just wow. Well, you are on the fringes of Appalachia.......I'm in the heart of it. I see that type of thing regularly and have FINALLY learned to run as far from those "projects" as possible.

I had a guy ask for an estimate. His house siding was literally black from all the dirt and mildew that had accumulated for 40 years. I didn't want to give an estimate as it was beyond fixing, but, as a professional courtesy I gave him one. Well, of course since my estimate was more than a dollar, I was a piece of "money-grabbing scum" and "how in tarnation did you come up with THAT price?" Thankfully, he slammed the door in my face and I was off the hook........you just can't make up stories like these....

PAC, I triple-dog dare you to send this guy a bill for your time......
chrisn, Fman, ridesarize and 2 others like this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Wow, PAC, just wow. Well, you are on the fringes of Appalachia.......I'm in the heart of it. I see that type of thing regularly and have FINALLY learned to run as far from those "projects" as possible.

I had a guy ask for an estimate. His house siding was literally black from all the dirt and mildew that had accumulated for 40 years. I didn't want to give an estimate as it was beyond fixing, but, as a professional courtesy I gave him one. Well, of course since my estimate was more than a dollar, I was a piece of "money-grabbing scum" and "how in tarnation did you come up with THAT price?" Thankfully, he slammed the door in my face and I was off the hook........you just can't make up stories like these....

Skipping right to the triple dog dare eh? A definite breach of etiquette according to Ralphie.
Gymschu, ridesarize and PACman like this.

Groucho Marx
Old 04-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post

I am literately in a county that is right next to a county that is legally part of Appalachia btw. And i'm not going to bill him but his buddy that told him to call me is paying full retail from now on!

The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (04-17-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #7

I bet a coat of Gardz would work though.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,266
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Maybe not, I believe two coats of Gardz would solve the problem.
futtyos and PPD like this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Now, you know damn well a coat of Marque and it's good to go.
702robladd and PPD like this.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6
View 702robladd's Photo Album My Photos

Band Aid or ER take your pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
702robladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 192
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Maybe he'll get lucky a a bolt of lightening will strike before he tries putting anymore paint on that piece of $hit. I sure am glad I do not live anywhere near there. I thought my region was cheap but...
Wildbill7145 likes this.
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:56 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,046
Thanked 1,002 Times in 635 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Really PAC, just recommend Behr Deck Over like you really want to!!

No pics!!
Brushman4 and PPD like this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 402
View Painting Practice's Photo Album My Photos

Just the idea he had intention to screw over the buyer is infuriating enough. I probably would not have been so polite. I'm starting a large project today where the customer seems really nice and understanding, but am wary for one "hmmmm" moment when I was looking at the project; Were going all over this place looking at everything as she is also putting up the house, and arrive at the kitchen. Cabinets are very nice, and are not getting painted. She showed me where she tried to get the grease off and there was soap residue, and then implied I should give her a price on cleaning them. Not to prep for paint, just clean them like I have a side business. It's an enormous job and that is just small part of it so I think I'll save that part until last and then offer her a discount to exclude it.
PPD likes this.
Painting Practice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
Really PAC, just recommend Behr Deck Over like you really want to!!

No pics!!
I was thinking Emerald.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #15

I went past it this morning after it has been raining overnight, and one whole side of the house looks like it is blowing a bubble. And luckily you cannot transfer ownership of a house legally here without an inspection. At least not with the intent to live in it or not fix it. I remember what it looked like when it was still lived in. You couldn't see the yard because of all the push lawnmowers stacked in it. I heard they took over 300 push lawnmowers out of that yard after he died. I can't imagine what was inside that house.

Of course before i get too judgmental, i'm pretty sure after i die they'll be wondering why i needed so many unused paint brushes.
PPD likes this.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,392
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painting Practice View Post
Just the idea he had intention to screw over the buyer is infuriating enough. I probably would not have been so polite. I'm starting a large project today where the customer seems really nice and understanding, but am wary for one "hmmmm" moment when I was looking at the project; Were going all over this place looking at everything as she is also putting up the house, and arrive at the kitchen. Cabinets are very nice, and are not getting painted. She showed me where she tried to get the grease off and there was soap residue, and then implied I should give her a price on cleaning them. Not to prep for paint, just clean them like I have a side business. It's an enormous job and that is just small part of it so I think I'll save that part until last and then offer her a discount to exclude it.
I wouldn't take that the wrong way, to be fair I would trust a painter to know how to clean the cabinets without destroying the existing finish. I would at least show her how to do it properly.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
I wouldn't take that the wrong way, to be fair I would trust a painter to know how to clean the cabinets without destroying the existing finish. I would at least show her how to do it properly.
Think that would sort of depend on the condition they are in. If some gentle to moderate effort is all that would be needed, then cleaning them shouldn’t be too big of a deal. However, we have done some that were so badly soiled in some areas that there was no way to get them clean and still have the underlying finish intact. Not a problem if redoing them, but if not...

Groucho Marx
Old 04-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 402
View Painting Practice's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Think that would sort of depend on the condition they are in. If some gentle to moderate effort is all that would be needed, then cleaning them shouldn’t be too big of a deal. However, we have done some that were so badly soiled in some areas that there was no way to get them clean and still have the underlying finish intact. Not a problem if redoing them, but if not...
They are high end solid maple and actually pretty clean. Finnish people, not a lot of cooking oil on them, and no grime in the crevices. I'm not above doing it but it made me go hmm when she asked. She green-lighted a pretty high bid so I'm doing it if for little else than to thank her for that.
jennifertemple likes this.
Painting Practice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Painting Practice For This Useful Post:
RH (04-17-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 12:28 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 192
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
arrive at the kitchen. Cabinets are very nice, and are not getting painted. She showed me where she tried to get the grease off and there was soap residue, and then implied I should give her a price on cleaning them. Not to prep for paint, just clean them like I have a side business. It's an enormous job and that is just small part of it so I think I'll save that part until last and then offer her a discount to exclude it.
I would have explained that the only cleaning I know how to do is stripping for a new finish and to just clean them, I might make a wreck of it. Then I would suggest she get a Pro cleaner.

Though I might try Lilpaintchic's steamer trick! I'm dying to use that one.
Painting Practice likes this.
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:49 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 10
View mackhomie's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
Quote:
arrive at the kitchen. Cabinets are very nice, and are not getting painted. She showed me where she tried to get the grease off and there was soap residue, and then implied I should give her a price on cleaning them. Not to prep for paint, just clean them like I have a side business. It's an enormous job and that is just small part of it so I think I'll save that part until last and then offer her a discount to exclude it.
I would have explained that the only cleaning I know how to do is stripping for a new finish and to just clean them, I might make a wreck of it. Then I would suggest she get a Pro cleaner.

Though I might try Lilpaintchic's steamer trick! I'm dying to use that one. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.painttalk.com/images/smilies/vs_smirk.gif[/IMG]
The old "woeful incompetence" excuse. Dunno if I'd offer that one up when his bid was apparently pretty damn high lol
mackhomie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None