Time clocks. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Painting is a science

Rewards Points: 150
View sendit6's Photo Album My Photos
Default Time clocks.

Do you guys who have guys make them punch a time clock?

I've found it difficult to have time clocks because we're typically doing two projects at once, and sometimes part of the crew of one of those will move on to the next project and leave a skeleton crew behind to finish up, so it's not practical in most cases. Not to mention the cost of one of those things.

So after a years of the guys being on their honor as to showing up and leaving, I have them snap a pic of the house when arriving in the morning, and another when leaving.

Lunch is still on the honor system.
sendit6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
repaintpro

Rewards Points: 1,272
View Repaintpro's Photo Album My Photos

I know this would become impractical for the bigger guys but if I have a couple of jobs and I am not on them I will call one of the guys at 7am and again just prior to knock off. Most of the time I just ask how they have gone or what they are going to start on.

I use all sorts of reasons for calling, but I ring almost without fail. Not that I don't trust them, but...........7-4 is my time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Lockyer ph: 040 33 111 25
Repaintpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

Daily logs turned in with details as to what was completed each day. You can see how production progresses and what's acceptable.
Gough (01-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

We have daily time cards with spaces for remarks such as job name and tasks. They function as sort of a mini-log. One of the thing that this allows us to do is to break down our employees hours by tasks for WC classifications. It changes from year to year, but there's often a good spread between Painting and Carpentry/General Labor. That alone generally makes it worthwhile.

Entering the time is up to each employee. The honor system seems to work. More often than not, the employees are harsher on themselves than I might be. Once in a while, I'll do a spot check and note a late arrival in my day runner, so I can check it against their card for that day, but it hasn't been a problem.
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
Damon T (02-02-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

We use time cards when we do hire help if I am not onsite I call a few times during the day, I do usually drive the help in and sign them in then end of day call if i'm running behind to see if they finished and sign them out, when I get home I put the times into the computer and print it out put it into the job file. I fill out time cards even if it just my partner and myself just to keep track and have a time frame to look back at for other upcoming jobs.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,888
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,140 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

www.Tsheets.com, happy with it and using it for years now.
Syncs with Quickbooks payroll.

Easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
Damon T (02-02-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos

My old employer used to get us to call him when we got there, and call him when we leave. We would also fill out a time card with how many hours at each job we were at.
I have since adopted that procedure as It seems to work just fine.
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 27
View tmort024's Photo Album My Photos

Like George said. Tsheets has worked out great for me.
tmort024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Time clocks ?

for painters ?

really ?

Time cards. I had them designate (generally) what time they started and finished a task (prep, prime, finish)

BTW, this subject was discussed not that long ago. Look here for more replies

https://www.painttalk.com/f4/how-do-y...ee-time-13906/

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10
View snookbite2's Photo Album My Photos

We use an app for android and/or iphone. It is a gps tracking system. All employees are required to use it and/or call an 800 number to clock in. It imports right into quickbooks if you want. We implemented it over a month ago and it already has saved us a fortune!!! 10 minutes here and there add up to a whole lot of money!!
snookbite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 502
View Xmark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookbite2 View Post
We use an app for android and/or iphone. It is a gps tracking system. All employees are required to use it and/or call an 800 number to clock in. It imports right into quickbooks if you want. We implemented it over a month ago and it already has saved us a fortune!!! 10 minutes here and there add up to a whole lot of money!!
that sounds perfect. everyone has a cell phone but not everyone has a smart phone which is required for the above suggested software. do you have a name or link for that app?
Xmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 294
View Northwest_painter's Photo Album My Photos

When i did have my biz and I used work log one that had a copy for my a copy for the worker and one for my book keeper. worked for me.
Northwest_painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None