Time correcting previous painters mistakes - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 2 Post By RH
  • 2 Post By 804 Paint
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 11-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #1

View Jenniferd's Photo Album My Photos
Default Time correcting previous painters mistakes

hi everyone so long story short my husband is painting a home that had a terrible painting job prior and paint on the edge of the wall went into the ceiling. they didn't want their ceilings painted completely but once they saw that he painted the walls and they could still see the old paint ran over on the ceilings from the previous painter they decided they wanted him to touch up the previous painters mistake. So he didn't calculate how much time he spent on doing that throughout the entire house and I'm trying to finish up they're billing for the job and I don't know how much to charge or how much time to say it took him. Any ideas on how to bill for that? Its a fairly large house. 3,432 sq ft. 5 bd 4 bath etc. Every room needed it done. Thank you
Jenniferd is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 144
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferd View Post
hi everyone so long story short my husband is painting a home that had a terrible painting job prior and paint on the edge of the wall went into the ceiling. they didn't want their ceilings painted completely but once they saw that he painted the walls and they could still see the old paint ran over on the ceilings from the previous painter they decided they wanted him to touch up the previous painters mistake. So he didn't calculate how much time he spent on doing that throughout the entire house and I'm trying to finish up they're billing for the job and I don't know how much to charge or how much time to say it took him. Any ideas on how to bill for that? Its a fairly large house. 3,432 sq ft. 5 bd 4 bath etc. Every room needed it done. Thank you
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say.. If you your not sure what your time is worth and also not keeping track of "Extra's".. You probably shouldn't be in business for yourself. Rule # 1 know your numbers..
lilpaintchic likes this.
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finishesbykevyn For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 126
Thanked 15,599 Times in 8,235 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Since it’s an add-on, have him estimate how long it took him to do it all - then add fifty percent to that.
Gymschu and futtyos like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 138
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

^^^^^^What @RH said^^^^^^^
On the other hand, if you made a nice profit on the job, it may be something you could list on the billing as a "courtesy." It could go a long ways in developing a life-long customer. Of course, if it took more than a couple hours, well, it's not such a courtesy after all and you have to bill them accordingly.

I know, in the past I've touched up spots like that without the HO's requesting me to do so and it created quite a bit of good will that I went "above and beyond."
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 402
View Painting Practice's Photo Album My Photos

T&M, use a whole bunch of M and T. Reiterate often how much easier it would have been to do it first and grumble.
Painting Practice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 800
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos

What he should have done was tell them before he started that the old color would show after his new cut. Shoulda been obvious. If customers donít want their ceilings painted with this issue then Iíll cut with the closest ceiling paint match (just enough to cover the slop onto the ceiling) BEFORE I cut the walls in.

Also, you canít fricking do an extra for a customer before coming to an agreement on price, whether itís fixed or you tell them itís T&M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SemiproJohn and lilpaintchic like this.
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:08 AM   #7
King Dude

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,970 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

That kind of thing I always point out during the estimate, same situation with the trim if we aren't painting that either. I tell them I'll go around the edges and erase the previous painters lines, it's normally only an issue when the last paint job was done by a ho and the fix is is an easy one.

I wouldn't charge more because if you had planned to you should have told them prior to doing it instead of hitting them with an extra after the fact. And also because those little things done for free to make the job look nicer will often help lead to some nice referrals. Just make them aware what was done and tell them it was on the house.

Next time if you want to charge for something like that, make the ho aware before doing the extra work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,802
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I usually just throw that kind of stuff in, then make the HO aware that I went above and beyond.
Gymschu likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,900
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default HO's second thoughts change the contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferd View Post
If your husband contracted to paint only the walls, that did not include the ceilings. What he should have done is to have eyeballed the problem with wall paint going up onto the ceilings. This should have been obvious as you said it was a terrible painting job to begin with.

It appears that the HOs saw the problem with the ceilings before the job was finished and wanted the problem taken care of, so sit down with your husband and figure out what is fare for doing what the HOs asked him to do. The HOs already know they are going to have to pay extra for your husband correcting the previous bad painting job, so you are justified in charging for it!

In the future, something like this should jump out at your husband. I took photos of a condo I am doing an estimate on and I can see that the ceiling paint is coming down onto the walls all over the place. The ceiling is okay so if I only painted the walls I can get away with not having to paint onto the ceiling.

What you and your husband are trying to figure out should have been addressed in the original proposal, but since the HOs saw what was happening and asked your hubby to correct it and since your husband did not contract to paint the ceiling, they should pay for the correction SINCE THEY ASKED FOR YOUR HUSBAND TO DO IT.

What else?

futtyos
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,802
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Futtyos is absolutely right. If they asked him to, they should expect to be charged. However, that is something you should look for before you even get started. If you do it before you start its easy. I ask if they have the paint, and I'll even use that as an opportunity to caulk the corners, then hit the lid line with the paint right there. Or, if I decide not to caulk the lid lines, I'll take a brush and a pole and slap it in the corners from the ground. It doesnt take enough time to even warrant an upcharge if you're smart about it. After the fact is a different story though. That takes precision workmanship.

Same thing with trim. If I see a bunch of paint all over the side of the trim, I'll ask if they have trim paint, and if they do, I'll run a brush down all the jambs and base really quick. you can do the whole house in 15 minutes. If they dont have the paint, I tell them sorry, or try to upsell a trim job.
futtyos likes this.

Last edited by Woodco; 11-03-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

This type of issue should be addressed with a change order. Once you notice the issue you need need to have a meeting with the homeowner and part of the discussion is figuring out how they want to pay for the work. T&M or fixed bid.

At this point all you can do is have your husband ball park how long it took to touch up the ceilings and write up a change order for his labor and any additional costs.

Communication is an important part of owning a business and working with clients. Learn from this mistake and when it comes up next again youíll know what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None