Tomorrow is going to be 99 degrees - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tomorrow is going to be 99 degrees

How do you guy's change your daily work to adjust to such hight temps? What about, any ideas on doing a better paint job when it is hot. How about those south and west walls that need two coats of paint? Anything you can think of that could help the suffering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502
View Msargent's Photo Album My Photos

My exteriors get duration so i allways avoid the sun as much as possible and i have water cooler and take frequent water breaks start at 7 am or maybe earlier if the HO doesnt mind .
Msargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150
View BESMAN's Photo Album My Photos

i work with the sun, meaning i stick to whatever side is shady.
in situations where i will be working in one area for a while and have the sun beating down, i will throw 2 ladders up on either side of me and strap a tarp to it to make shade, its worth the 5 minutes of set up.
BESMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BESMAN For This Useful Post:
nEighter (07-26-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

What about something like this in an area you will spending time? Probably more hassle moving it, especially around bushes.
I use one in the yard for parties, 10 x 10, 100 bucks, very easy to set up.
Think of the advertising possibility!
http://www.contractortalk.com/f12/te...station-62239/

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

I do hope you all know that you are not supposed to apply paint in temperatures that high. Surface temp over 100 is a no no for sure, you can get fever blisters all over the place plus if the paint drys too fast it can not cure properly and fail prematurely.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #6

those canopies are great, i use mine on the beach all the time. On a job site it would be good for, say a carpenter who is going to go back to his saw constantly...it shades directly below so it makes for a good work station...However, they are not really tall or just large enough to cast a shadow as high as the first level of a house. Putting up a tarp like i mentioned casts the shadow against the house rather than on the ground....for the $100 the canopy costs you could get a bunch of tarps and probably get more bang for your buck...as long as you have some extra ladders to strap too. You could always clip it to the roof and tie down on the ground too....Doing this above the first level of a house might be tougher, but its been done...and man, that shade not only makes things cooler and easier on you...but you get more work done too.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamicontract View Post
I do hope you all know that you are not supposed to apply paint in temperatures that high. Surface temp over 100 is a no no for sure, you can get fever blisters all over the place plus if the paint drys too fast it can not cure properly and fail prematurely.

I was basically talking about setting up for prep work...sanding...stuff like like that.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESMAN View Post
I was basically talking about setting up for prep work...sanding...stuff like like that.
gotcha

Get some cheaper 24' extention poles, strap shade cloth to them, lean them up on the house and attach to gutters or roof. Feels so good!
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #9

exactly....i use some ladders that i don't use for standing on anymore....poles sound easier to move around though. dig it.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Guys....I'm in Florida! It's always hot. You just keep painting. You do get used to it. The worst thing you can do is to go in and out of air conditioning. It makes it feel that much hotter. Keep lots of liquids with you. Try to work the shade. Start early but eventually you will have to do that sunny side. We have a couple of barrel tile roofs coming up next week. No getting out of the sun there!!!

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
gotcha

Get some cheaper 24' extention poles, strap shade cloth to them, lean them up on the house and attach to gutters or roof. Feels so good!
Sissys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Gee! Thanks!

I live in a area, 100 is on a cool summer day. It's been 115 for the past week or so. even the nights only cool down to 85 or 90. what we do is start at 5:45 work until 1:30, we don't stop other than water breaks. I don't like to see my guys drink sugar so I encourage to drink water only. We try and work in around the shade as it moves around the house. setting up a tent of some sort is out of the question unless you are going to be in 1 spot all day. but for the most part we are moving from spot to spot rather quickly
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #13

yeah, the tents don't work in most situations ...but it helps when its an option.

Sunblock.....wear it.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Where on earth do you guys get some of your facts!!!
I have painted when it was so hot you could literally watch steam rise from the surface as you paint.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
Where on earth do you guys get some of your facts!!!
I have painted when it was so hot you could literally watch steam rise from the surface as you paint.
Ya, I paint in some extreme weather and it has not effected the integrity of the coating. Just can be hard to work with.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #16

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

work in the shade. Start on the south wall first and go to the west then north.. at about 1:30 here it is cool to work on the east side.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #17

I usually try to do the south and west walls first when I get there in the morning, and then if they are dry to touch, I hit the them again and move to the back sides. The thing I try to avoid is spraying colors in the sun, because for one it takes way more paint, and you can get flashing because you can't move your ladders fast enough to keep a wet edge.I also use long extention for my spray gun, and use a bigger tip.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #18

I have also found that once my body get hot it really slows me down, so I try to stay as cool as long as I can, because once I'm done I'm done.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #19

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

/\I hear you man! When your body or mind shuts off, it is best to find a productive way to end the day. I had one such day on friday, not painting but carpentry. Day was blown and trying to hurry I damn near cut a finger off when the saw kicked back on me. Got a graze wound on my finger.. work is not more important than your health. There is always another day. Drink a ton and eat light muh man

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 75
View colorfulpast's Photo Album My Photos

This looks promising
colorfulpast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None