Too cold for exterior paint? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Owner

Rewards Points: 14
View Deco's Photo Album My Photos
Default Too cold for exterior paint?

Hello all,

Not that I don't know the answer on this one but I'm going to ask anyway...
We are located in NJ. Whether now in low 30's, nights in 20's.
Have customer in middle of residential addition that is asking to have
soffets and facia boards primed before gutters get installed. I have already told them that it is too cold and I would not be comfortable
nor warranty any work that was done outside if they insisted on getting
it done.
We primarily do residential interior re-paints so I'm not aware if there
might be any priming products that could be used at these
temperatures.

Thanks for any info you may offer.
Mark
Deco is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco View Post
Not that I don't know the answer on this one
You should be all set then...
Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250
View Mantis's Photo Album My Photos

Why put yourself in an uncomfortable situation? Even using low temp exterior products there is no way I'm going to put my company's reputation and risk a possible scrape n repaint on the line simply because I have an impatient customer.

We stop exterior work when nights are expected to get below freezing. If they cant wait until warmer weather comes, then they can hire a handyman who will probably slobber behr all over their shingles and driveway anyhow.

Explain to them why painting in below freezing temps is bad and if they are reasonable, they will understand. Stick to your guns or you man regret it later. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Here we usually have a 3 to 4 hour window in the higher elevations, the lower I can paint 8 hours. I will be starting on a ranch job next week, it's in a higher elevation. Ext semi transparent.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
Spider killer

Rewards Points: 772
View jason123's Photo Album My Photos

I recently did an outside job;stained a deck where it was around 5c. It was a contractor friend of mine so he knew it was to cold to pass the specs of the paint. I'm going to coat it next year. Maybe if it needs it?

-Is it the temp of the surface or the general temp outside
-Does any one use a temp machine thingy. were you measure the temp with a beam like a measure tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jason123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

It is the temp of the surface. Rob uses the temp gun to check interior wall in NC before painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Too cold for exterior paint?-12051313.jpg  

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Even though a paint is low temp (35F) that doesent mean that it dries the same as warmer temps. Basically a good rule of thumb...every 10 Degrees below 70...double the dry time. So if a paint says 2 hours on the can....at 60F thats gonna be around 4 hours. Go from there.

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
harley (10-26-2013)
Old 12-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

You also have to worry about touch up. If you paint when it is cold and touch up when it is warm, it will not match.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
harley (10-26-2013)
Old 12-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

You can also think about alkyd based paint if available.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
You can also think about alkyd based paint if available.
Yeah, but if drying was a concern with latex.......that oil will be sticky till spring

Old 12-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
Born To Be Mild

Add japan driers. We've done it for years and never had a problem. Plus most of todays alkyds already dry faster.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #12

View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

Perfect timing for this thread. I haven't talked to a SW rep yet. But, we just got a call Saturday to quote painting a school's name on the exterior of the building. The schools sets back a ways from the road and they want some large identifiable lettering at the top of the exterior building. A lil different then the OP but anybody got some opinions? Thanks.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Paint Store Owner

Japan driers as well as Naptha and Alcohol can affect the paint performance. They can be helpful, but I try and not use them personally.

Most of the "new" alkyds tend to dry slower from what i've seen, from the lack of thinners ( voc's) in them. Which is basically what you're adding with the driers.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Born To Be Mild

So, do you not warranty paints if thinners or japan driers are added?

Could swear I've seen instructions that state the use of thinners is o.k.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Paint Store Owner

Most paint manufacturers don't like anything to be added to their products. Although we all know that sometimes water or thinner is needed to get the proper flow. Driers and extenders are usually frowned upon ( understandably) by manufacturers unless it is their specific brand being used ( properly ). Overusing driers can make the film brittle....overusing extenders can make the film soft.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Born To Be Mild

Uh.....was that the answer to the question?

And I am not trying to be difficult. Many if not all of the alkyds I've used has a recommended max amount of reducer that can be added.

As a paint distributor you have products to sell.

As a paint applier, I've got a business to run and a family to feed.

(These two goals are dependant on each other, not diametrically opposed.)

So, how about recommending a solution to the OP's problem?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #17
Born To Be Mild

Deco, I'd use this;

Fres~Coat Troubleshooter® Fast Drying Alkyd Primer

This unique exterior primer provides superior performances as a base coat for all latex and oil base house paint. It is formulated for maximum breathability and resists tannin and sugar bleed staining from most exterior woods including pressboard siding and rust stains from nail heads. It dries in 4-6 hours for quick re-coat.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
Born To Be Mild

Dealer locator.

http://www.californiapaints.com/DealerLocator.html

Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #19

View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
Most paint manufacturers don't like anything to be added to their products. Although we all know that sometimes water or thinner is needed to get the proper flow. Driers and extenders are usually frowned upon ( understandably) by manufacturers unless it is their specific brand being used ( properly ). Overusing driers can make the film brittle....overusing extenders can make the film soft.
I am curious as well. Per BB's question, "do you not warranty paints if thinners or japan driers are added?" Is it warrantied or not? Thanks.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #20
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
Even though a paint is low temp (35F) that doesent mean that it dries the same as warmer temps. Basically a good rule of thumb...every 10 Degrees below 70...double the dry time. So if a paint says 2 hours on the can....at 60F thats gonna be around 4 hours. Go from there.
I thought that was an answer.

But to be blunt.

No, do not do it, no manufacturer will back something applied improperly. It's below the application temperature....any warranty from the manufacturer will be void, call them and ask. I understand that you need the work, I need to sell paint too. BUT If someone wants to buy exterior paint, I'll advise them that its not a good idea, its too cold, and if it fails, its not my problem.

There is no loophole around it, and I know someones waiting for somebody to point it out. " Like, well it got up to 36F today for 20 minutes so I painted and now the paint has failed....I did it at the right temperature and all, the manufacturer is trying to screw me " *** waits for new thread to start ***

Tags
None