Ultra Hide 150 vs pm200 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By lilpaintchic
  • 1 Post By goga
  • 4 Post By PACman
  • 2 Post By chrisn
  • 2 Post By slinger58
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 198
View gregplus's Photo Album My Photos
Default Ultra Hide 150 vs pm200

Did anyone test Ultra Hide 150 vs ProMar 200 (FLAT).

Thanks
gregplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Ppg for the win.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
chrisn likes this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 764
View goga's Photo Album My Photos

It all depends, have used PM200 per customer request to use SW. One spray coat was always enough to cover everything underneath and gives a beautiful solid look, hard as rock, mostly used eggshell, touches up like never was. But I don't bother with SW, a bit pricey vs same quality from Miller and/or Rodda.
thamberg likes this.
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,711 Times in 3,178 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

I remember when i was growing up we would spend a few days each summer in West Virginia or eastern Kentucky visiting relates, and we would think the Appalachians were mountains. When i left home for school in Oklahoma i discovered the Ozarks, and thought they were mountains too. A few years later i moved out west..........Rocky Mountains, Sierra Nevadas..........Those are frickin mountains!

Somewhere in Tibet some kid sees the Rocky Mountains in a magazine and thinks to himself "Those are some nice foothills."

It's all a matter of perspective. Ultra Hide 150.....Promar 200........Neither product hides all that well when compared to some paint brands. But like the Appalachians and the Ozarks they are quite accessible to most of us. Very few of us on the other hand will ever stand at the top of MT. Everest.

(I'm trying to channel my inner CApainter. Is it working?)

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
ashepherdscraft (06-19-2018)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=PACman;1412906]I remember when i was growing up we would spend a few days each summer in West Virginia or eastern Kentucky visiting relates, and we would think the Appalachians were mountains. When i left home for school in Oklahoma i discovered the Ozarks, and thought they were mountains too. A few years later i moved out west..........Rocky Mountains, Sierra Nevadas..........Those are frickin mountains!

Somewhere in Tibet some kid sees the Rocky Mountains in a magazine and thinks to himself "Those are some nice foothills."

It's all a matter of perspective. Ultra Hide 150.....Promar 200........Neither product hides all that well when compared to some paint brands. But like the Appalachians and the Ozarks they are quite accessible to most of us. Very few of us on the other hand will ever stand at the top of MT. Everest.

(I'm trying to channel my inner CApainter. Is it working?)[/QUOTE]

maybe, sort of

oh hell, NO
slinger58 and SemiproJohn like this.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,153 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
I remember when i was growing up we would spend a few days each summer in West Virginia or eastern Kentucky visiting relates, and we would think the Appalachians were mountains. When i left home for school in Oklahoma i discovered the Ozarks, and thought they were mountains too. A few years later i moved out west..........Rocky Mountains, Sierra Nevadas..........Those are frickin mountains!

(I'm trying to channel my inner CApainter. Is it working?)

It's one of those things; you either have it or you don't. And, well.......umm.....talk to chrisn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 358
View SWPB's Photo Album My Photos

Not having used UH 150, I pulled the data pages from UH 150, PM 200 Flat, and BM Ultra Spec 500. UH 150 has a slightly lower sheen (1 - 3 units versus 1.5 - 3.5 units) than both SW and BM, but the volume solids are lower on the UH 150 (33% versus 41%). Do volume solids rule? Not necessarily--it depends on the quality of resin. Another interesting tidbit about UH 150, its touch up is based on "airless spray touch up." Does this mean they are touching up with an airless sprayer??? If I had that luxury, most touch ups would look great. Touch up is an art when you're forced to use a brush or roller (preferred) to blend an area. Hopefully, you have backrolled and can mimic the minor orange peel texture.

That aside, it's quite a stretch to go from 33% to 41% volume solids. Then again, these builders think a 1' x 1' patch is touch up. HA!
SWPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 794
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

I think the 150 covers better, dead flat. It's my go to on ceilings. 200 might have a better finish on walls (2 coats).
Gwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 358
View SWPB's Photo Album My Photos

I absolutely despise 200 Flat on a ceiling. It's a better product than 400 and their regional equivalents--CHB, Masterhide, or Sherscrub, but these other ones have a dead flat sheen with a longer open time (more water). I like the BM Super Hide Zero ceiling white--good value. But when it comes to walls (unless it's a very light color), you won't find me using these 400 equivalents due to burnishing & potential to hatband (lower film build).
SWPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,526
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

F*CK promar anything, and f*ck Sherwin. Overpriced garbage paint, that is always different colors, even out of the same bucket, and they do nothing but make excuses about it.

For ceilings, use PPG Mopako or Multipro. Dirt cheap, dead flat, and ALWAYS touches up perfectly.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
F*CK promar anything, and f*ck Sherwin. Overpriced garbage paint, that is always different colors, even out of the same bucket, and they do nothing but make excuses about it.

For ceilings, use PPG Mopako or Multipro. Dirt cheap, dead flat, and ALWAYS touches up perfectly.
Don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel about SW!
SWPB likes this.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPB View Post
I absolutely despise 200 Flat on a ceiling. It's a better product than 400 and their regional equivalents--CHB, Masterhide, or Sherscrub, but these other ones have a dead flat sheen with a longer open time (more water). I like the BM Super Hide Zero ceiling white--good value. But when it comes to walls (unless it's a very light color), you won't find me using these 400 equivalents due to burnishing & potential to hatband (lower film build).
A Sherwin Williams product hatbands? You gotta be kidding!
SWPB likes this.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,526
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I just got done with a 'touch up (complete repaint) done by the worst hack painters I've ever seen. Of course they used sherwin... I figured I'd stick with it, cuz A: I though it'd be easier, and B: I charged the contractor T+M.

Well, I started on the ceilings. The original people who thought they could paint, left the leftover lid paint outside in an unmarked bucket, and was moldy. I took a guess that it was PM 400 flat ultra white. So, I bought 6 gallons to redo the ceilings in this higher end, and occupied house. All the lids in the house were nothing but tip fingers. It was awful. Anyway, the paint I bought was a bit darker than the original paint, so I had to cut everything in. By the time I got to the main living/kitchen/dining/hallway part, I went and bought two more gallons to finish. I SWEAR ON MY MOTHERS LIFE that they were PM 400 flat ultra white. Well, after I got done, all the cut-ins were a good shade lighter than the roll.

I called the paint rep, told him what happened. I got home from the bar that night to an email from him:"Good evening. In reference to there being a "paint mix" issue. After communicating with the store manager in Bee Cave today, I feel we may have figured it out. The store manager remembers the home owner coming in to get part of the order. It seems as if there was some miscommunications there. Upon further review of the invoices, and paint sold, it seems as if everything on our end checks out. We have not had this issue with that particular product in recent past."

The miscommunication he was speaking of was for a totally different color altogether, and I never got another response from the paint rep after repeated attempts. It turns out the original five I bought was light, and the other two gallons I bought were correct. I brought the paint lid to two different stores and got samples from them, and sampled the new five they so graciously comped me. ALL the other "ultra-white PM 400 flat" all matched each other, and were a shade darker than the 5 gals I got in the first place. The store actually refunded a few hundred bucks worth of paint to the contractor paying me, but paint rep insisted that it was NOT their fault, and ceased communication with me altogether. My next job has a $8000 paint budget, and I emailed the plans and my bid to the Paint reps boss, and told him he lost out on 8 grand over a $300 "miscommunication" that was DEFINITELY a bad batch of paint from SW.

So yeah, F*CK SHERWIN WILLIAMS!
PACman likes this.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

My rep is better than your rep. Sort of similar situation. They comp'd the new paint and paid the labor bill to repaint.
That being said, between the 2 products in the op, ppg still has the win in my book.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #15

If anyone cares, my hillbilly test lab has found that the Ultra hide 150 is a brighter white and hides better then the Promar 200, although it is somewhat chalkier and grittier. But those are subjective and not something I have actual test capabilities for. I can strain coarser pigments from the Ultra hide but that isn't really a deal breaker at their price point. The Ultra hide goes a little farther on a brush load then the 200 does, but again that is a "feel" thing that is something that each painter would have to determine for themselves to be good or bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Eagle Cap Painter (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 44
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post

different color out of the same bucket...

My all time favorites are SW " Calico Dreams" and SW "Modern Neapolitan" (brown, cream and pink) from their Tri-Color Collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None