undercoat with an hvlp? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View kellbentkent's Photo Album My Photos
Default undercoat with an hvlp?

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was hoping for some advice on if it is practical to try to spray BM alkyd undercoat/body on high end trim work with an hvlp. I specify undercoat/body instead of primer/sealer because it is "heavier bodied" and probably harder to spray even properly thinned. I have become a fan of it since helping out on some super high-end interior work this winter($25 million house). Note- I do not currently own an hvlp and have a very limited experience with them early in my career.
kellbentkent is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

id use an airless,,,,,,,,use a properly sized tip, and turn your pressure down

you be moving so slow with a turbine, and probably have to thin the undercoater down so much, youd defeat the purpose

turbines have their place,,,,,,but priming entire trim packages isnt one of them,,,,(dont ask me how i know,,,lol)
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
View SkiLiftPainter's Photo Album My Photos

You should purchase Graco FinishPro 395 Airless/Air-Assisted Sprayer. Its a great machine that allows you to switch back and forth between airless and air-assist. I use dupont Imron polyurethane and Corlar satin high solids epoxy mastic, which are very heavy-duty paints, and the machine works beautifully.
I figured when the brought the FinishPro to me to demo- it wasn't going to be able to keep up(hold pressure). But it blew me away, it is a painters dream machine, and its quiet.
SkiLiftPainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None