unhappy customer - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View decolores's Photo Album My Photos
Default unhappy customer

I did a job without giving an estimate (HO didn't require one) and now the guy is unhappy with the price of $595. I've done work for him before. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I have 30 hrs in on the job.

P.S. I almost always do estimates...I'm going back to that model after this one!
decolores is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View capitalcity painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by decolores View Post
I did a job without giving an estimate (HO didn't require one) and now the guy is unhappy with the price of $595. I've done work for him before. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I have 30 hrs in on the job.

P.S. I almost always do estimates...I'm going back to that model after this one!
Any suggestions? Go to hack.com before the mob gets here
capitalcity painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to capitalcity painting For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (12-18-2010), nEighter (08-17-2010), Rcon (08-16-2010), Wolfgang (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

In English money that equates to £379 for 30hrs of work. A self employed man or woman would not even start their van for that money in the morning, let alone get out of bed.

IDK what to suggest. P'raps takes Harry's course on Estimating would be a good start.
That does seem rather a low figure for 30hrs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistcoat For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (08-16-2010), nEighter (08-17-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000
View ROOMINADAY's Photo Album My Photos

You have no leg to stand on as far as I am concerned, no quote or contract. At your rates, he should ecstatic, I cannot afford to get out of bed for those rates.

If I were you, I would read every post on here to learn about pricing, estimating and running a profitable paint business before posting something like this again.

Also search intro's, it would be helpful to know exactly who you are and your business model.

Sorry for the rant...... just getting tired of trying to make use of what little time I have reading posts that should stay as thoughts, not script.

There, I vented, time for a nice cold one!
ROOMINADAY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ROOMINADAY For This Useful Post:
NCPaint1 (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I would re-evaluate your "model" as well. Unless broke is your goal. You realize at 30 hrs, you still have to cover overhead AND pay your taxes, not to mention insurance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum, please post an intro here and tell us about yourself.

Without a contract, not a lot of options. You may look into filing a lein.
I think the others are right, you may have more issues than an unhappy customer!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #7

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

This is sad.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnpaint For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Thats $19.83 per hour so far, and your not even done yet? Of course I'm assuming the customer is buying paint and your doing this as side work (NO OVERHEAD/TAXES ETC) . Giving the situation your in, you might want to think about sticking with your primary job...... If this is your company, there is more to fix than I can type in this post!
NCPaint1 (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Not wanting to beat you up....but,this is the kind of stuff that kills the professional residential painting contractor.This how most home owners see ALL painters.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Not going to bust your chops on pricing, thats been pretty well covered. (although,at that price he should be happy)

First stand up for yourself and tell him that's the price. Take him to small claims court if you have to and make sure he knows you will. If you are not done, stop work until he pays.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Take your pick and drink many
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
Rick the painter (08-16-2010), Schmidt & Co. (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #12

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
Not going to bust your chops on pricing, thats been pretty well covered. (although,at that price he should be happy)

First stand up for yourself and tell him that's the price. Take him to small claims court if you have to and make sure he knows you will. If you are not done, stop work until he pays.
Yeah but Biker the owner could take him to court because he most likely is not licensed, so there you go, no leg to stand on.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Any suggestions on how to deal with it?
Look for an on-the-books, hourly job with an established painting company. You would have better recourse if they didn't pay you.

Last edited by y.painting; 08-16-2010 at 06:42 PM..
y.painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
Yeah but Biker the owner could take him to court because he most likely is not licensed, so there you go, no leg to stand on.
He did not say that, but you may be right. Not all states require a license though. I feel sorry for the guy licensed or not. You put in an honest days work, you should get paid. Specially if the home owner knew you were not licensed.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,608
Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (08-16-2010), RCP (08-16-2010), ROOMINADAY (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #16
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
No licencing for painting contractors here in the great state of Illinois.
johnpaint (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
No licencing for painting contractors here in the great state of Illinois.
HACK!

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
Schmidt & Co. (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

Here is something you did not really lose out on.

#1 You will now start to charge a more decent wage.
#2 You will never go into a job again without a "SIGNED" contract again.
#3 You can now severe ties with the idiot H/O who claims to know what contractors should charge even though he has never been a paint contractor.
#4 You can post a photo of him on every local grocery store and gas station with a contractor enemy #1 statement to get him blackballed

In Berks County PA 484-334-1311
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4ThGeneration For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (08-16-2010), bikerboy (08-16-2010), johnpaint (08-16-2010), TJ Paint (08-17-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Have you considered a career in the gas pumping industry? I hear they make more than that.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #20
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Try to compare your last jobs you did for them. Say something like this is the same rate or lower rate than you paid for me before. Just assumed you would pay the same rate as before etc.

Something along those lines. You need to get you rate up to 65-90+ an hr or stay in bed.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer satisfaction, hourly, payment