UV Reactive Paint needs Non UV Protective Top Coat - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View ThomasDOliver's Photo Album My Photos
Default UV Reactive Paint needs Non UV Protective Top Coat

I'm doing an art exhibit for an art festival in a month. I'm painting seats to be UV reactive under Blacklight. I have researched for months and simply can not find a sealant that will make the seats waterproof and scratch proof without being UV protective. If there is any UV protectant in the top coat, the seats won't shine under Blacklight. They are just simple barstools made of wood. Please help, fellow painters! You're my last hope!
ThomasDOliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 326
View madochio's Photo Album My Photos

modern masters wild fire paint it is the same type of paint used for comso bowling may work
madochio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,068
Thanked 9,542 Times in 5,408 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasDOliver View Post
I'm doing an art exhibit for an art festival in a month. I'm painting seats to be UV reactive under Blacklight. I have researched for months and simply can not find a sealant that will make the seats waterproof and scratch proof without being UV protective. If there is any UV protectant in the top coat, the seats won't shine under Blacklight. They are just simple barstools made of wood. Please help, fellow painters! You're my last hope!

This site http://www.blacklightworld.com/Glow%...%20Pigment.htm
offers pigments that can be added to paints. Maybe get a sample and mix it with a clear or solid color paint to see if the phosphors light up under Black lighting.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #4

I am actually using Wildfire. It is supposedly the best, that is why I got it. Unfortunately it is indoor paint and my exhibit is outdoors. That is why I need a waterproof and scratch proof top coat. Wildfire doesn't make one, sadly. I have thought up these ideas, but I either can't get it to be non-uv protective, or just can't get the idea into the right actions.

1. Polyurethane
2. Other urethanes
3. Plastic wrap
4. Laminate the seats themselves...

Can't find thick, clear plastic wrap and can't figure how i'd attach it to the seats without wrinkles
Can't find a urethane without UV Protectant in it...
Can't find out about laminating something that isn't flat

Budget is only $150
I have nearly 111 square feet to protect.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 502
View hotwing7's Photo Album My Photos

have you thought about a thin coat of an epoxy resin. A quick search brought up this link http://www.solarcomposites.com/EpoxyResinChoice.html and it does seem that an epoxy needs a uv prtectant if its going to be outside so would suggest that it doesn't have one in it already
hotwing7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hotwing7 For This Useful Post:
ThomasDOliver (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #6

found this one too http://www.pridemarine.com/index.cfm...e=058125401004

this also contains no uv protection (apparently though it might be worth calling the company). Would be cheaper than epoxy and way under your budget
The Following User Says Thank You to hotwing7 For This Useful Post:
ThomasDOliver (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #7

Going to call these companies in the morning, man! THANK YOU! I really think one of these may do the trick.., interested in what kind of coverage they get. May actually be able to pull this project off now! I'll post here tomorrow afternoon and let ya know what they said! Someone could make a killing reselling whatever works for UV painting purposes, because I can't be the only one doing crazy UV work outside... Though UV paint generally does last a lot longer indoors. Thanks Again!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasDOliver View Post
Going to call these companies in the morning, man! THANK YOU! I really think one of these may do the trick.., interested in what kind of coverage they get. May actually be able to pull this project off now! I'll post here tomorrow afternoon and let ya know what they said! Someone could make a killing reselling whatever works for UV painting purposes, because I can't be the only one doing crazy UV work outside... Though UV paint generally does last a lot longer indoors. Thanks Again!
Well whatever works for you Apparently nearly all spa varnishes are without uv protection (from my 5 minture last night research ......... )
Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #9

Thanks again!

Through a chain of events while calling all the stores, I've decided to buy "J.W. Ect. Right Step Matte Varnish". It came out to $41 with the express shipping for a quart, and will be here Monday! I will give it some test runs next week and will post here with the results! Thank you so much!
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasDOliver For This Useful Post:
hotwing7 (05-31-2012)

Tags
None