Very Quick Breakthrough Question - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 08-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 216
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Very Quick Breakthrough Question

I would ask the clerks at the store I am purchasing it, but I don't trust them. Is Break trough a DTM product.

I am using Breaktrough on a steel door which I removed all of the paint. The TDS for Breakrthrough provides a list of recommended substrates, which includes galvanized steel, but then goes on to state,
Prim "prime all necessary surfaces with an appropriate PPG primer
prior to application of the product." But they do not indicate which surfaces need primer, and since wood is also one of the recommended substrates, and I have never heard of not priming wood, I am a bit confused on whether or not I need to primer metal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Nevermind, I have my answer. I should have read the rest of the TDS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Martin the Painter For This Useful Post:
Damon T (08-21-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4
View Seven9's Photo Album My Photos

Don't use Break-through on exterior wood. Back when Break-Through was owned by a company named Vanex I saw an exterior trim job that cracked like crazy. The Break-Through was so hard it couldn't handle the expansion/contraction of exterior wood.
Seven9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven9 For This Useful Post:
PACman (08-21-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 160
View TrueColors's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
Nevermind, I have my answer. I should have read the rest of the TDS.

What was the answer so others know?
TrueColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueColors View Post
What was the answer so others know?

Yes, metal does have to be primed.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven9 View Post
Don't use Break-through on exterior wood. Back when Break-Through was owned by a company named Vanex I saw an exterior trim job that cracked like crazy. The Break-Through was so hard it couldn't handle the expansion/contraction of exterior wood.
Not being used on wood--will be used on metal door.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:59 AM   #7
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

We did a job with 49 exterior entry doors, in black no less, many of which had southern exposure and blazing sun much of the day. Several years later they still look good. BT has a lot of flex but perhaps it exacerbated underlying surface adhesion issues.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
PACman (08-21-2015), Pete Martin the Painter (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
We did a job with 49 exterior entry doors, in black no less, many of which had southern exposure and blazing sun much of the day. Several years later they still look good. BT has a lot of flex but perhaps it exacerbated underlying surface adhesion issues.

It's interesting to me how Breakthrough is sold as being super tough and flexible, and certainly seems to be. Remember RP's volleyball test?

And yet, the specs say "do not use on large wood structures or the bodies of homes"

Make me wonder if what it lacks isn't permeability. Why else would a tough, flexible, super bonding acrylic be restricted so?
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Yup!

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
I had some problems with the product when it was a Vanex brand in the desert areas of San Diego county(roughly 90% of the county Fyi.) with it cracking on wood window frames after just a couple of years. It seemed to depend on the color as well as the UV exposure. It may have been re-engineered by PPG but I would doubt it. Seemed to be independent of what primer was used.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2
View LA Peterson Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I was told by the ppg rep it was ok to use clear breakthrough for ext wood doors and window frames. about a year later, surfaces in direct sunlight started getting cloudy. surfaces in shade look great still.

I am in the process of using it on top of an exterior concrete patio with an old epoxy coating. pressure washed, scuffed and primer applied. will apply breakthrough on top of primer in semi gloss finish. hopefully the tinted product holds up better in direct sunlight. we'll see...

I'm in AZ btw
LA Peterson Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None