washable paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252
View tedrin's Photo Album My Photos
Default washable paint

I just had a customer who called me to complain about the quality of paint I used in her basement rental unit...She said that her tenant washed every wall and it looks terrible...no kidding!...I seriously don't know of an eggshell paint that will look good after someone washes the entire wall...Every paint that I have used burnishes to some extent...I also don't know what the tenant used to wash the walls...

I use a middle grade acrylic paint for rental units...My customer admonished me for not giving her an option for a better washable paint...This is the first time a customer has lodged such a complaint in my 20+ years of painting...{She was a single, unhappy,whiney woman,as I recall}...

I told her that a semi-gloss paint was much more washable but looked bad in my opinion...
tedrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

how long ago did you paint it? Who the feck washes walls anyway? OH YEAH someone who couldn't take care of the place to begin with. Not your problem. And I am SURE that she wanted the lowest price when you painted it.. you don't get a caddy for the price of a pinto...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nEighter For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (12-08-2009)
Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #3

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

she is looking for a free paint job.. fuggitaboutit

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

what paint did you use, just curious.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
what paint did you use, just curious.
Cloverdale,I think....probably super-eggshell
Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #6

[quote=nEighter;102249]how long ago did you paint it? Who the feck washes walls anyway? OH YEAH someone who couldn't take care of the place to begin with. Not your problem. And I am SURE that she wanted the lowest price when you painted it.. you don't get a caddy for the price of a pinto...[/quote

I painted it in early 2009...
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I am not at all familiar with Cloverdale, do not think it is even around here so I cannot comment relative to that paint at all. Seems like rentals would be an area where you do not with no matter what though. Use good paint, too expensive, use cheap paint, not washable.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
OBP

Rewards Points: 25
View Outback Painting's Photo Album My Photos

The tenant may have used a chemical to wash it down that was too harsh, not your fault or the paints fault, you will need her to get you all the details before you could really accept that the paint was as bad as she thinks, have you seen the walls yourself?

Did you say you used superpaint eggshell?
Outback Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Painting View Post
The tenant may have used a chemical to wash it down that was too harsh, not your fault or the paints fault, you will need her to get you all the details before you could really accept that the paint was as bad as she thinks, have you seen the walls yourself?

Did you say you used superpaint eggshell?
super-eggshell by cloverdale paint....I doubt that I will ever talk to her again...She hung up the phone after a quick thank you...She was pretty pizzed.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

While I don't personally use Cloverdale, their Super Eggshell is not a bad paint. It's actually pretty good as far as midline paints go.

I have never heard of any issues with washing super eggshell. I'm willing to bet, like another poster said, she used some sort of chemical cleaning agents on the walls. Call your Cloverdale distributor and run it by them, to see what they have to say about it.

Edit: I put a clause in every contract I write that clearly states I will not warranty damage caused by abuse or neglect. If her tenant needed to wash the walls, i'd say it had something to do with neglect. If she used chemicals, that's abuse.

Last edited by Rcon; 12-07-2009 at 01:49 AM..
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #11

Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

I swear tenants do stuff most homeowners would never do just to piss off a whole string of people. I mean can you imagine if your customers washed your walls before you came over to paint? That would be a dream come true. I would have asked what possible motive would she have to wash her walls down the same year they were painted?

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Here's my take on it. Why should YOU the contractor be responsible for the paint burnishing? Those calls should be directed to the manufacturer. If you offered a Top of the Line paint that carried a warranty, and she went with a cheaper product....thats not your fault.

No different than an auto dealer....the warranty you get is the one offered by the manufacturer. How many extra warranties have you gotten from a car dealer, other than the manufacturers given warranty?

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 25
View joselucas's Photo Album My Photos

Sometimes we need to deal with people that probably bring the bad side of use, but that's how we learn.
joselucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 152
Thanked 8,646 Times in 4,035 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

If it's anything like the landlords around here, they want the cheapest price possible, therefore usually a cheaper paint. She has no claim that I can see. Guess it all depends if you want more of her work...
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10
View painter104's Photo Album My Photos

If she wants to be able to scrub her walls she needs to only use mild soap and water and i would paint the wall with Sherwin duration interior semi-gloss. Its a little spendy, but you can scrub the crap out of it with no burnishing.
painter104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrin
I just had a customer who called me to complain about the quality of paint I used in her basement rental unit...She said that her tenant washed every wall and it looks terrible...no kidding!...I seriously don't know of an eggshell paint that will look good after someone washes the entire wall...Every paint that I have used burnishes to some extent...I also don't know what the tenant used to wash the walls...

I use a middle grade acrylic paint for rental units...My customer admonished me for not giving her an option for a better washable paint...This is the first time a customer has lodged such a complaint in my 20+ years of painting...{She was a single, unhappy,whiney woman,as I recall}...

I told her that a semi-gloss paint was much more washable but looked bad in my opinion...
There is a common mis-conception among homeowners that eggshell sheens are "wash-able" or "scrub-able"
For the most part, they are more "wash-able" than flats and not as much as "sheenier" paints, and a hefty scrubbing or TSP (or sim.)-based cleaning solution (Spic'N'Span) can ruin any and all of them right quick

I agree semi-gloss, though more wash-able, is a poor choice for walls

The most wash/scrub-able eggshell paint I've ever seen was BM's Aura
Yes, it's a bit pricey (too much so for most landlords), but it is very (unbelievably) wash-able and burnish-resistant
But I'm not sure even that would stand up to a TSP/S'N'S scrubbing....certainly not a "SoftScrub" (or other sim.) cleaning
I have had a few "landlord" customers choose it in the hopes of having the cost of merely cleaning rather than actual re-painting in-between renters
So far, they (the few) have been quite satisfied

However, most of these types of clients tend to go with "cheap labor/paint re-paints" after every renter moves on, and are looking for cheap cheap cheap
It seems your client is one of these, and is being unreasonable

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEighter View Post
she is looking for a free paint job.. fuggitaboutit
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #18

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

They must have been from the old country. Hey Thelma get to washing dem walls, it's been a week since ye scrubbed dem.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 10
View ALBsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

I do alot of work in a hasidic community and almost every job I do there the walls are semi gloss and they wash them constantly. I am just recently getting them to let me use a satin finish.
ALBsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #20

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBsPainting View Post
I do alot of work in a hasidic community and almost every job I do there the walls are semi gloss and they wash them constantly. I am just recently getting them to let me use a satin finish.
I know it's like they need to keep busy all the time, while they have no idea where or what there kids are doing.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None