Weird Paint Failure - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 1 Post By lilpaintchic
  • 1 Post By Rbriggs82

Old 12-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
King Dude

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,862 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos
Default Weird Paint Failure

So in October we did a textured concrete pool patio with H&C Arcyla-Deck which I've used before. The patio had a previous coating that held up well it was just faded. I also tested it with denatured alcohol to make sure it was latex and it was. We pressure washed it, scuffed it up a little and applied two coats.

Looked good blah blah blah then two weeks later I got a call saying it had scratched off in some areas. I go and take a look at it and saw something I've never come across. In areas where the patio was dry the coating was hard as a rock, areas that had been a little wet (rained the night before) it scratched off with my fingernail.

I figured it just needed more dry time but I called out my SW rep to take a look anyway. He said the same give it a month and try again.

A month later and it's still softening when it's wet.

So now I'm unsure of how to proceed. Being that it's textured trying to strip it off seems like a messy nightmare. In the spring I thinking of just washing it and going over it with a different product. I'm leaning towards using Richard's pool and patio paint which comes in a range of standard colors which is always nice. My thoughts being that since it's hard when dry once the new coating dries it'll be hard under it and no new water would get to it causing it to soften.

I don't know if that's wishful thinking or what but any ideas any of you could offer would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,063
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
So in October we did a textured concrete pool patio with H&C Arcyla-Deck which I've used before. The patio had a previous coating that held up well it was just faded. I also tested it with denatured alcohol to make sure it was latex and it was. We pressure washed it, scuffed it up a little and applied two coats.

Looked good blah blah blah then two weeks later I got a call saying it had scratched off in some areas. I go and take a look at it and saw something I've never come across. In areas where the patio was dry the coating was hard as a rock, areas that had been a little wet (rained the night before) it scratched off with my fingernail.

I figured it just needed more dry time but I called out my SW rep to take a look anyway. He said the same give it a month and try again.

A month later and it's still softening when it's wet.

So now I'm unsure of how to proceed. Being that it's textured trying to strip it off seems like a messy nightmare. In the spring I thinking of just washing it and going over it with a different product. I'm leaning towards using Richard's pool and patio paint which comes in a range of standard colors which is always nice. My thoughts being that since it's hard when dry once the new coating dries it'll be hard under it and no new water would get to it causing it to soften.

I don't know if that's wishful thinking or what but any ideas any of you could offer would be appreciated.

Is that an elastomeric? How long did you wait after power washing? Also, where are you that you can be painting outside lol?

Last edited by finishesbykevyn; 12-28-2018 at 04:43 PM..
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Is that an elastomeric? How long did you wait after power washing? Also, where are you that you can be painting outside lol?
As far as I know it's not an elastomeric, waited a week and a half after washing, and I'm in South Carolina it was around 70 when we did it.

|
|
|

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Kev D.

Pulled up the PDS and saw these 2 things. Pretty obvious I know, but just throwing it out there.. Seems weird to advertise this for a pool deck and then say don't be in contact with moisture?
* Existing and Previously Painted Concrete: Do not apply on
previously coated solvent-based coatings. Do not use for immersion service, below grade substrates, or
substrates constantly in contact with moisture. Do not use in
highly corrosive or chemical environments or areas subject to
intense heat.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Pulled up the PDS and saw these 2 things. Pretty obvious I know, but just throwing it out there.. Seems weird to advertise this for a pool deck and then say don't be in contact with moisture?
* Existing and Previously Painted Concrete: Do not apply on
previously coated solvent-based coatings. Do not use for immersion service, below grade substrates, or
substrates constantly in contact with moisture. Do not use in
highly corrosive or chemical environments or areas subject to
intense heat.
Yeah obviously anywhere outside in my area is a high moisture area. It does state that it can be used over previously painted surfaces as long as it was latex, which it was.

I'm not sure what highly corrosive chemicals they're referring to but it also states this in the Pds...

Highly resistant to pool chemicals and many other

household chemicals for long lasting beauty and

protection.

I have used this product in the past and never had a problem until now.

How would you go about remedying this problem? Rock hard when dry, scratches off with a fingernail when wet.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 12-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
Kev D.

Man, All I can think is to wait until its dry and maybe (Gonna sound like Futtyos here) seal it with a coat of Gardz or something similar like a concrete moisture barrier clear coat..? Maybe that's all you will have to do. Other than that, you may be looking at Pressure washing it off or dare I say Sandblasting.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

You're screwed. It needs to come off or you'll be dealing with warranty calls FOREVER.
Wet it, pressurewash and peel bond then top coat with something else. What a bummer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
PACman likes this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

H&C stains! They sell them at Menard's! JUNK! They weren't a few years ago but they had to get their costs down so they could be competitive in the box store market. In fact, i am (or was until last week!) an H&C retailer and the products i have available (had) retailed for 30-40% more than what the "same" product in a different label sold for at Menard's. The products i could get were a completely different formulation than what they sold. Chances are they dropped the more expensive (older higher quality) formulations across their entire product line now that they are going to be box store exclusive starting in 2019.

But that is seriously some 5hitty product if it is getting soft when it gets wet. Definitely not the H&C stains i used to sell! Good luck fixing that one.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,136
Thanked 1,032 Times in 461 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

Check pH too.
NACE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
King Dude

I think I'm going to try a test spot with the Richard's stuff and see how it does before trying to get the H&C stuff off. Keep my fingers crossed that'll work, blasting it off with a pressure washer is really going to suck.

lilpaintchic likes this.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 12-31-2018, 02:20 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
I think I'm going to try a test spot with the Richard's stuff and see how it does before trying to get the H&C stuff off. Keep my fingers crossed that'll work, blasting it off with a pressure washer is really going to suck.

Itll be messy but you could probably use a concrete tip on it and make fairly quick work out of it compared to having multiple warranty trips out to fix it later...? Sorry you're dealing with that issue...sounds like a real bummer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (12-31-2018)

Tags
None