Weird sprayer issue - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Weird sprayer issue

So I've never had this issue before. My sprayer will pump and pump and sometimes build pressure then loses it once I pull the trigger out reverse the pressure. I know I need a new O ring for it, but this is new.

And yes, I did hit the check ball (that's the only way the pressure would build). Another weird thing is I test ran it last night with water and didn't have any issues (other than the gun needle sticking ). It's also a brand new line.
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Leaky prime valve possibly? I've seen them where they work okay for a bit then the machine starts to cycle out of no where.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
epretot (12-21-2015), journeymanPainter (12-21-2015), lilpaintchic (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 160
View TrueColors's Photo Album My Photos

What brad/model of sprayer?

Mine would start priming when I would set the gun down for a longer period, wouldn't hold the pressure. I tightened the collar where you add TSL to the piston. Solved the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TrueColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter
So I've never had this issue before. My sprayer will pump and pump and sometimes build pressure then loses it once I pull the trigger out reverse the pressure. I know I need a new O ring for it, but this is new. And yes, I did hit the check ball (that's the only way the pressure would build). Another weird thing is I test ran it last night with water and didn't have any issues (other than the gun needle sticking ). It's also a brand new line.
Sure sounds like it's sucking a vacuum, you know, a obstruction is in the intake in some way. A clogged up rock catcher you would see maybe something stuck in the neck past the catcher? The water is thin enuff to get sucked through but the the paint is too thick. A skinny straw you can suck water through it but a milkshake you can't. You suck a vacuum.

Is the rock catcher clogged or too fine a mesh? Did you try and run it without the catcher? Can you see up the tube with the catcher off? I'd check first.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
CApainter (12-21-2015), Jmayspaint (12-21-2015), journeymanPainter (12-22-2015), lilpaintchic (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,338
Thanked 1,556 Times in 778 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcoyote View Post
Leaky prime valve possibly? I've seen them where they work okay for a bit then the machine starts to cycle out of no where.
This is what I think. Cheap fix too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
epretot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

90% of the problems with our machines are fixed by a really, really good cleaning. I would start there. If junk is in the pressure switch I clean it by allowing the machine to build up pressure then release it fast. Do this a few time sometimes cleans it out.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gracobucks For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,438
Thanked 9,568 Times in 5,430 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
Sure sounds like it's sucking a vacuum, you know, a obstruction is in the intake in some way. A clogged up rock catcher you would see maybe something stuck in the neck past the catcher? The water is thin enuff to get sucked through but the the paint is too thick. A skinny straw you can suck water through it but a milkshake you can't. You suck a vacuum.

Is the rock catcher clogged or too fine a mesh? Did you try and run it without the catcher? Can you see up the tube with the catcher off? I'd check first.
After crushing the tamper proof plastic primer valve handle on my Titan 445, I discovered the no pressure issue I was having was contributed to a small sliver of paint, or some other crap, preventing the lower suction valve from seating. Totally simple fix.

Now I have to use needle nose pliers to prime my pump. But it works awesome!
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueColors View Post
What brad/model of sprayer?

Mine would start priming when I would set the gun down for a longer period, wouldn't hold the pressure. I tightened the collar where you add TSL to the piston. Solved the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graco 395.

I'll have to try and run more water through it, then done hot thinners. See if that'll work
Old 12-22-2015, 01:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Try hot water.lots of it.and check your filters while you're at it. The filters wouldn't cause it to keep chuggin', bit it's easy to clean em out or change em and eliminate that as being a factor. (The one on the pump and the one on the gun-might help your sticky needle situation?)
I always turn my machine off to switch from spray to prime also. I blew a primer valve out of my air assist many years ago cuz I didn't know that keeping the machine on while switching it over was putting unnecessary wear and tear on the valve. I dunno...that's what the pump shop said anyway. Haven't lost a primer valve since...
Yours does sound like it may be clogged. Tear it open and clean it out...that's what I'd do anyway.
Kind of a pita, but that's money down the drain when the pump doesn't pump when ya need it to.and THAT'S a real pita.

And you said it's a brand new line. Check the connection for obstruction? if it wasn't doing that before you put the new line on...something may have broken loose when ya swapped it out. Maybe pull your gun off and see if you can bleed it out with water. Again, hot water is probably better than cold.

Last edited by lilpaintchic; 12-22-2015 at 01:39 AM..
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
Try hot water.lots of it.and check your filters while you're at it. The filters wouldn't cause it to keep chuggin', bit it's easy to clean em out or change em and eliminate that as being a factor. (The one on the pump and the one on the gun-might help your sticky needle situation?)
I always turn my machine off to switch from spray to prime also. I blew a primer valve out of my air assist many years ago cuz I didn't know that keeping the machine on while switching it over was putting unnecessary wear and tear on the valve. I dunno...that's what the pump shop said anyway. Haven't lost a primer valve since...
Yours does sound like it may be clogged. Tear it open and clean it out...that's what I'd do anyway.
Kind of a pita, but that's money down the drain when the pump doesn't pump when ya need it to.and THAT'S a real pita.

And you said it's a brand new line. Check the connection for obstruction? if it wasn't doing that before you put the new line on...something may have broken loose when ya swapped it out. Maybe pull your gun off and see if you can bleed it out with water. Again, hot water is probably better than cold.
Really? Hot water? I always thought that would be worse for your seals.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #11

Naaah.....it's easier on the seals than solvents, that's for sure. It may loosen your clog (if there is one) and push it out.
Does It cycle the product at all? Like draw it up through the stinger and then can you run it back to the bucket?

And depending on how much access you have to hot water you could throw it in the bath tub. Run hot water into a bucket, throw the stinger in it, peel your gun off the line , and run the line into the toilet...less messy. (Don't do it when the wife is home if ya have one...)
A good hot water cleaning is the best sometimes...

Last edited by lilpaintchic; 12-22-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Old 12-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 421
View Krittterkare's Photo Album My Photos

download a manual if you do not have one and check behind the 2nd ball, a small solid trapped can cause problems and the prime valve is certainly suspect. Does it ever reach full pressure? and if it does at full pressure will it crank over a time or two while sitting idle?
It may be time for a full repack and is quite inexpensive with kits off of ebay and others and pretty easy to do or you can have a shop rebuild it, there is enough info in videos and other online to do it yourself.
Krittterkare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 34
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Packings.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Try hot water.lots of it
I have always found that hot water just makes things worse. Seems to loosen up dried on paint and clogs more spots.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 154
View oldccm's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
So I've never had this issue before. My sprayer will pump and pump and sometimes build pressure then loses it once I pull the trigger out reverse the pressure. I know I need a new O ring for it, but this is new.

And yes, I did hit the check ball (that's the only way the pressure would build). Another weird thing is I test ran it last night with water and didn't have any issues (other than the gun needle sticking ). It's also a brand new line.

Remove intake and clean the check ball. If you can tap it with a hammer and get it to prime chances are there's something in there. 395 is not a large machine and it doesn't take much to cause a problem

Weird sprayer issue-imageuploadedbytapatalk1450832416.039990.jpg
oldccm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post
I have always found that hot water just makes things worse. Seems to loosen up dried on paint and clogs more spots.
Huh, to each their own I suppose. I like cleaning it out of all the loose crap, dried crap, and any other crap that's gonna pmo and be a waste of my time trying to find and fix while filled with paint in the middle of a job...
I figure if it comes loose with hot tap water, It was probably gonna come off anyway...at a time that's NOT of my choosing.

I dunno. I could be dead wrong, but it definitely works for me to run about 10 gallons of hot water through it once in a while...especially if given a choice between hot and cold on a job...hot just cleans it better ime. Cleaner pump, less clogs, more $ painting, less time lost screwing around with it. Again, ime...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
oldccm (12-23-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (12-23-2015), The Cutting Edge (12-27-2015), Wildbill7145 (12-23-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 764
View goga's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Huh, to each their own I suppose. I like cleaning it out of all the loose crap, dried crap, and any other crap that's gonna pmo and be a waste of my time trying to find and fix while filled with paint in the middle of a job...
I figure if it comes loose with hot tap water, It was probably gonna come off anyway...at a time that's NOT of my choosing.

I dunno. I could be dead wrong, but it definitely works for me to run about 10 gallons of hot water through it once in a while...especially if given a choice between hot and cold on a job...hot just cleans it better ime. Cleaner pump, less clogs, more $ painting, less time lost screwing around with it. Again, ime...
Same here, warm water rinse, clean filters, pump in xylene to loosen junk, leave overnight, run warm water again, clean filters off loose debris, good to go.
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goga For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by goga View Post
Same here, warm water rinse, clean filters, pump in xylene to loosen junk, leave overnight, run warm water again, clean filters off loose debris, good to go.
I don't run xylene but, hey if it's working then why stop? I just don't run solvents through my latex pump....

Last edited by lilpaintchic; 12-28-2015 at 11:49 AM..
Old 12-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 764
View goga's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I don't run xylene but, hey if it's working then why stop? I just don't run solvents through my latex pump....
I ran anything out there through 450ST, even epoxy, never repacked it as of yet, 20 years since I got it. Should be doing at least something right)
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 212
View canopainting's Photo Album My Photos

The owner of Airless SprayCenter here in Sacramento has some rods, sleeves and piston fluid section balls on the counter that exhibit scars and impressions from paint skin and debris so I guess if you had an indent in the steel ballthat could cause some problems too.
canopainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None