What is the best type and size brush for exterior stain? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View jodebg's Photo Album My Photos
Default What is the best type and size brush for exterior stain?

I need to know what type of brush to buy to apply Zar exterior solid stain onto smooth surface cedar siding.

I see brsitle, china brsitle, nylon, comination of bristle and nylon brushes being sold.

What is the best type of bruuh for this exterior stain that is 85% water and 15% oil?

Should I buy a brush that is rated professional painter's grade which is
thicker (more bristles) and also has longer bristles?

Any brand in particular?

The boards I am coating are a v-groove style and are 5" wide.

What width is best for this application?

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 532
View squid's Photo Album My Photos

3" Purdy PIP
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
still in the bucket

Rewards Points: 500
View cdaniels's Photo Album My Photos

I use a 3" nylon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

Why use a brush at all when you can cover more surface area with a push broom. 2 foot soft bristle push broom is what I'd use...
Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #5

seems like the concensus so far is for a 3" brush. I inititally assumed a 4' would work faster?? Why a 3"?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

4-inch wooster brush. you can find one at lowes. About $15 or so, depends where your at.

Holds a lot of stain which is what you want, you might have to switch to a 2 inch or 3 inch angle sash if you need to get into the groves. The 4" wooster doesn't have an angle, it's flat top, but holds a ton of material and flows nicely.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Use a mini roller. You can always brush back through it if you want .
Lot faster/easier
Old 05-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmays1976 View Post
Use a mini roller. You can always brush back through it if you want .
Lot faster/easier
I don't know about that. Maybe if it's done early in the morning or after it cools down at dusk.

My concern for him would be that Zar is water based if I remember right and it could setup/dry on him before he can back brush it. If he's talking about the deck & siding stain: "Soap and water cleanup". http://zardeckandsiding.ugl.com/solid/

I've converted all our staining stuff to waterbase and out here in the desert it's a PITA, but I love it. It dries so fast that it can be hard to work with, but I can do almost 3 times the amount of work I can with oil base. Plus it helps that all the other painters are still on oil and I just run circles around them and they can't figure it out lol.

Anyway: My suggestion is use a 4" wooster, thick brush holds a lot of material. But don't float it out right out of the can, I don't know the method's official name, but use globs (sections) and fade back into each other with the brush. It's a fast method but you have to keep up, it'll help you so you won't have a dried edge. But with solid color that may not be a problem, but I still wouldn't want to chance it vs dry edge and then you have to put another coat just to match.

I have an example of what I'm talking about in one of my threads in the Photos of Project section on the forum. It's a gel stained door.

Anyway, I think the miniroller idea would work, just have to be careful of it setting up, unless you plan on rolling and then back brushing RIGHT away.

good luck!

Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250
View modernfinish's Photo Album My Photos

Dont need no stinking brush...Use a squeegee from the corner gas station windshield cleaner bucket . Everyones messin with you
Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150
View Red Truck's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcoyote View Post
4-inch wooster brush. you can find one at lowes. About $15 or so, depends where your at.

Holds a lot of stain which is what you want, you might have to switch to a 2 inch or 3 inch angle sash if you need to get into the groves. The 4" wooster doesn't have an angle, it's flat top, but holds a ton of material and flows nicely.
4" Golden Glo?? Pretty sweet brush for exteriors.

If you gotta cut a lot, consider a Wooster JAGUAR 3.5"
Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #11

Mini roller? have not used one of these before. do they work as good as a brush and do you have to backbrush to even the stain application?

Maybe someone could fill me in on the technique of using a mini roller-thanks.

Any way to getting around lap marks using these new modified oil products. I am used to oil applications.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Do you do this professionally?
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
j_sims (05-17-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #13

No, just doing some due dilligence before staining our house. Big job and would like to make the job efficent and attain the best results.

Products have changed and I need to get up to speed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75
View Joeb3rg's Photo Album My Photos

3 inch Corona Chinex Excalibur
Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I already posted this in one of your threads. Please take note.

Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
j_sims (05-17-2013), MIZZOU (05-13-2013), Schmidt & Co. (05-13-2013), slinger58 (05-13-2013), WisePainter (05-13-2013)
Closed Thread