What do you guys think? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos
Default What do you guys think?

I want to advertise a sort of " cash for clunkers " kinda thing. Like maybe, bring me any old gallon of paint and get a $10 discount off the price of a new gallon....something like that. Of course its more designed for retail customers, but I'll think up something for my contractors, so they wont be excluded.

OR maybe buy one get one half off....I dunno, just throwing an idea out there. What would you guys like from your dealers? Im sick of just cutting prices, it's not even enticing any more. Stores are having sales everywhere, I want to do something different that hasn't been done before...or over done. What do you guys think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
I want to advertise a sort of " cash for clunkers " kinda thing. Like maybe, bring me any old gallon of paint and get a $10 discount off the price of a new gallon..
If my paint store did that you can bet your a** I would round up every old gallon of left over paint I have in my shop and storage room (about 70 of em) and would be headed to the paint store to stock up on primers and ceiling paints.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
If my paint store did that you can bet your a** I would round up every old gallon of left over paint I have in my shop and storage room (about 70 of em) and would be headed to the paint store to stock up on primers and ceiling paints.

I'd have to put some sort of exclusion, or limit on it for my contractors.....unless....you didn't mind me taking the $10 off of retail price...not YOUR price

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
semi retired painter

Rewards Points: 154
View painterdude's Photo Album My Photos

I'll assume that'd be half off the retail price, not the contractors price. How are you gonna dispose of all the old paint. Guess you could donate it and write it off as a charitable expense. Hmmmmm.
painterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
I'll assume that'd be half off the retail price, not the contractors price. How are you gonna dispose of all the old paint. Guess you could donate it and write it off as a charitable expense. Hmmmmm.
Either donate it....or mix it into one of my "mystery 5's" and resell it for $30/5.....I guess if it's a hit I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75
View BMDealer's Photo Album My Photos

That would be my question....getting rid of old paint is not an easy task especially a large quantity.

We've done the buy one and get one half off and buy a gallon get a roller kit free. We also did a retail package where you get a gallon of primer 023, gallon of Regal Matte N221, and a gallon of muresco all for one low price. On top of these we have thrown coupons in papers and on line and get little to no response.

If you come up with a good idea, please share!

Also contractors like NCPaint said, what would or could drive you to a store? Or what would drive you to try different products?
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

I was ready to load up the van with crap paint, where are you again?? LOL

As far as trying new stuff, nothing gets that going as much as
1) hearing it from guys here ('suppose you could call that peer to peer..)
and 2) having good knowledgeable staff behind the counter suggesting products.
Kind of the other side of why not HD.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Trying to think as a female homeowner, what would I like?
Workshops, like HD does (although I have never been to one!) where I could try different Faux Treatments?
Color Consultations?
Trade in your old brush for X.00 off a new one?
A coupon for a free gallon when you buy 3? (women love coupons and free stuff!)

I think many HOs may feel intimidated going into a "pro paint store", I see people going into my SW and really not know what questions to ask.
The rare times I do go into a Big Box store I cruise the paint aisle and always see a husband and wife looking bewildered by all the choices. A few times I have stopped and talked to them and sent them to SW and they were unaware they they could go buy paint there!

Offering some type of education/advice/newsletter?

I see a few stores doing Facebook and Twitter to engage consumers.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None