What kind of putty knife do you carry on you?? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View Shaggy Dog's Photo Album My Photos
Default What kind of putty knife do you carry on you??

5 in 1's.. 7 in 1's or whatever the hell they make now..tried them years ago and never liked them..

What i have used for years is a 2' stiff putty knife(not chisel)i believe it's a red devil...but i put it in a vice grip at an angle and smash it off and then grind smooth..works best for me ..

What about you guys????
Shaggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View paint_booger's Photo Album My Photos

1 inch flex, 15 year old 5 in 1 ... custom sanded down to shape my needs, and a 5 inch flex in the back pocket.

booger
paint_booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
chief bucket carrier

Rewards Points: 250
View EricTheHandyman's Photo Album My Photos

1" flex in the front pocket, 2" flex and 5-1 in the back pocket (hurts like heck when you sit down for lunch!), brands vary since I lose them often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EricTheHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Keep all kinds in the truck. After ripping the seat in an old truck with a five in one, try not to carry a putty knife unless actually using it right then. Use a 5 in 1 the most, a one inch to fill holes.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,924
Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

5 in one was my choice, but as Bikers said, i have done damage to things when carring them, so mainly outside when painting windows.
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 160
Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,818 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I try to keep a 1" flex and stiff blade on hand at most times. If the chore is filling new construction nail holes, I used the smallest flex blade I can find. It is either a 3/4" or 1/2".
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #7

Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

I ripped a couple of truck seats before I realized that the 5 in 1 could go in the side pocket with the handle end out.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
Born To Be Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
I ripped a couple of truck seats before I realized that the 5 in 1 could go in the side pocket with the handle end out.
That worked until I ripped a hole in my leg with the pointy end while squating down to do something. Would have wrote that off as a freak accident.....until I did it again.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #9

Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
That worked until I ripped a hole in my leg with the pointy end while squating down to do something. Would have wrote that off as a freak accident.....until I did it again.

I had a guy burn his ass with a thinner rag in the back pocket...twice

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
Born To Be Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
I had a guy burn his ass with a thinner rag in the back pocket...twice
Been there and done that. (not twice though) Grace is not my strong suit.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000
View JNLP's Photo Album My Photos

Interior: Nothing
Exterior: 5/1

I hate having anything in my pockets. I always have a 5/1, 1", 2", 6", and 10" close by. I keep them on me when I'm using them only. Other than that they're just close by incase I need them.

I have many leg stabs, hand slices, and my Avalanche has many seat scars from my past carrying.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #12
Born To Be Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNLP View Post
I hate having anything in my pockets.
Except Money.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 514
View GMack's Photo Album My Photos

When you work for me, it is mandotory and considered part of your uniform to have a 5 in 1 in one side pocket and a 6 in 1 screw driver in your other side pocket at all times. If I see either of these things on the floor, I'll make you pick them up and get them back into your pockets. I also strongly encourage everyone to have a dust brush in one front pocket, a rag hanging out of the pocket and a peice of sandpaper in the back pocket . . . Going to the van or searching for any of these things in a tool bag or wherever is a complete waste of time, so easy to just have them on you . . . I know different things work for different people but that's what works for us.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

1 1/2 inch in side pocket and 6 in 1 screw driver in the other and yes a rag hanging out of back.

I except to see those things on any one that works for me as well. I don't make it mandatory but I do stress it.

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #15

View paint_booger's Photo Album My Photos

Sometimes it feels like I'm doing the Macerana every morning ...

In addition to the custom sanded 5-in-1, and flex 1 inch ...

in my lower-right side pocket ... is a pen.

Back right ... yellow sandpaper ... enough to share.

Back left ... nextel, and camera phone.

Left-side pocket ... window crank, magic marker, and a razor knife.

Left hoop ... rag.

Front right small pocket ... kryptonite lock keys ... for the sprayers.

And ... yes ... a belt.

(just read the post before submitting. sounds like I was calling shots as I cleared the balls from a pool table.)
paint_booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #16
me paint pretty one day

Rewards Points: 150
View stansoph's Photo Album My Photos

I keep my 5:1 in the kiddie pool in the center of the room. That way I know where it is and it won't damage anything. LOL

I have a 5:1 and 2" putty closeby. I don't like them in my pockets and my truck seats thank me plus my butt already has a one big cut in it I don't need another.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 75
View Boden Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I use a 1 1/2" hyde putty knife for filling nail holes and this really cheap,flimsy 5-1 that I got years ago but it is the perfect tool for detail caulking, I"ll be lost if I ever break/lose it.
Boden Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #18

View Kelly Painting's Photo Album My Photos

One inch.....light flex....wooden handle.....can't do a thing without it.
Kelly Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #19
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Painting View Post
One inch.....light flex....wooden handle.....can't do a thing without it.
I haven't been able to find the wooden handles anymore. I like them cause there slim alot of things now have these bulky plastic handles

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #20

View Kelly Painting's Photo Album My Photos

All my knives..whether putty or joint compound..have wooden handles.
Just my 5in1's have plastic. I love the feel of wood.
Kelly Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None