What paint to include in my jobs? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree45Likes

Old 03-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
View mykey's Photo Album My Photos
Default What paint to include in my jobs?

I am a retired carpenter that started doing paint job contract for family members. At first, I was doing it for fun, but I think I am doing a good job as I am overwhelmed by demands after referrals from previous customers and family members, so I am basically working about 35 hours a week.

I ask my clients to buy the paint themselves, but I have more and more people ask me to include the paint in my jobs.

I did some research and I want to choose a good contractor grade paint, but still let the client buy their paint themselves if they want to.

I love working with Benjamin Moore Regal and Behr Marquee, I like Behr Premium Plus and Ultra, but I am not so fond on Betonel and Sico. I don't want to try every single brand of paint, so here I am asking some advice.

I want a paint that is 0 VOC. I was told to make sure the base is made of Acrylic and that the paint should have high % of solid per volume. Here is the paint I was thinking of using:

Behr pro i300 (0 VOC, 37% solid per volume, the base is VAE, is that acrylic?)
Benhamin Moore Ultra Spec 500 (0 VOC, 42%±2 solid per volume, 100% Poly Acrylic)
Benjamin Moore Eco Spec WB (0 VOC, 37% solid per volume, 100% Acrylic latex)
Sherwin Williams Promar 200 (0 VOC, 42%±2 solid per volume, 100% Vinyl Acrylic)

What contractor grade paint have you used and how do they compare? Any other options easily available in Canada?

Sorry for my poor English as I am French.

Thanks
mykey is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 62
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

(double face palm)

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526
View Zoomer's Photo Album My Photos

Great post.
We are a third-generation family-owned paint company. We primarily use Benjamin Moore paints because without fail they continue to give years and years of durability and dependability for our customers. Of the products that you mentioned I would recommend Benjamin Moore Ultra spec. It is a upgraded 0v OC product with their waterborne colorants over the old super spec line of paints.It goes on well into coats and rarely have we ever had an issue with the thousands of gallons of this product that we have applied since it first came out. The price point is reasonable for practically every homeowner At approximately $35 per gallon retail here in Colorado. Of course if you want the best of the best then I would recommend Benjamin Moore regal select products and Aura from Benjamin Moore. Those two paint products have the highest percentage of solids over any others.
mykey and craftednorth like this.
Zoomer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoomer For This Useful Post:
jprefect (03-15-2017), mykey (03-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
(double face palm)
Is this suppose to help someone?
I see that you are a paint store owner that seems to trash Behr, so my comment might have offended you.
Instead of putting your knowledge to good use, you facepalm me because I like Behr and I am French. To tell you frankly, I am the one being offended.

The reason I ask here is because I don't want customers to be guinea pigs.

Last edited by mykey; 03-06-2017 at 06:04 PM..
Old 03-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 362
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos

If that hurt your feelings you're going to be mad a lot on this site. I myself have no issues with using Behr but a lot of pros on here don't like it. If you are asking about the contractors paint for the price issue. For contractors paint I use Promar 200. You should be able to get that in the mid to upper $20's. Its for sure NOT the best , but hey its contractors paint. Hope this helps.
jprefect likes this.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Why don't you just use the BM regal or Behr Marquee line you like to use?
Gymschu and jprefect like this.
Gracobucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Contractor grade is different from paint contractor grade.

Use Ultra Spec 500 flat for ceilings. Benjamin Moore "Ben" eggshell for walls at minimum, and BM Regal eggshell for nice jobs.

I agree Pro Mar 200 low lustre gets the job done. It can look nice if you're really good at cutting and rolling.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

We've made a switch last year to Sherwin William's Cashmere.

Good news is that this year it's getting chemically upgraded. So it should have better hide and what not coming up soon.

Good stuff, give it a shot.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykey View Post
Is this suppose to help someone?
I see that you are a paint store owner that seems to trash Behr, so my comment might have offended you.
Instead of putting your knowledge to good use, you facepalm me because I like Behr and I am French. To tell you frankly, I am the one being offended.

The reason I ask here is because I don't want customers to be guinea pigs.
If you know so much then you know that we get this same question over and over and over and over again, and there is never a correct answer. That's why the double face palm. It getting real old hearing the same arguments over and over again. So I apologize. There is no real answer. I didn't say anything about you being french btw. I really don't care.
Painter and 007 Dave like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
jprefect (03-15-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
(double face palm)
Three likes. Guess I'm not the only person who is thinking this question is getting a little old.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Gracobucks (03-07-2017), Gymschu (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,508
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Ne laissez personne vous offenser ici!

Quote:
I am a retired carpenter that started doing paint job contract for family members. At first, I was doing it for fun, but I think I am doing a good job as I am overwhelmed by demands after referrals from previous customers and family members, so I am basically working about 35 hours a week.

I ask my clients to buy the paint themselves, but I have more and more people ask me to include the paint in my jobs.

I did some research and I want to choose a good contractor grade paint, but still let the client buy their paint themselves if they want to.

I love working with Benjamin Moore Regal and Behr Marquee, I like Behr Premium Plus and Ultra, but I am not so fond on Betonel and Sico. I don't want to try every single brand of paint, so here I am asking some advice.

I want a paint that is 0 VOC. I was told to make sure the base is made of Acrylic and that the paint should have high % of solid per volume. Here is the paint I was thinking of using:

Benhamin Moore Ultra Spec 500 (0 VOC, 42%±2 solid per volume, 100% Poly Acrylic)

What contractor grade paint have you used and how do they compare? Any other options easily available in Canada?

Thanks
Bienvenue à Paint Talk, mon ami! En tant que charpentier, vous êtes probablement habitué à faire des travaux fins et précis et cela doit apparaître dans votre tableau aussi.

Je vous suggère de rester avec des peintures premium. Les peintures Premium sont généralement plus lisses et plus rapides, vous faisant gagner du temps. Vous pouvez expliquer à vos clients que l'argent qu'ils pourraient économiser sur la peinture bon marché sera perdu par le travail supplémentaire nécessaire pour appliquer la peinture bon marché. Cela est particulièrement vrai dans les petits emplois où la différence de prix sur quelques gallons n'est pas vraiment beaucoup. La peinture bon marché ne tient généralement pas aussi bien que la bonne peinture.

Si vous voulez utiliser une peinture de qualité inférieure, je recommande le Behr Premium Plus. Un membre ici sur Paint Talk a récemment dit qu'il a regardé un travail de peinture du cabinet qu'il a fait il ya 2 ans avec Behr PP semi-brillant (le client avait déjà acheté la peinture) et le propriétaire est très heureux avec la façon dont il se tient.

Ne laissez personne ici vous intimider sur ce que la marque de peinture qu'ils n'aiment pas.

Désolé pour mon pauvre Français. J'utilise un traducteur en ligne.

futtyos (signifie siffleur en hongrois)
futtyos is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to futtyos For This Useful Post:
Ric (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by futtyos View Post
Bienvenue à Paint Talk, mon ami! En tant que charpentier, vous êtes probablement habitué à faire des travaux fins et précis et cela doit apparaître dans votre tableau aussi.

Je vous suggère de rester avec des peintures premium. Les peintures Premium sont généralement plus lisses et plus rapides, vous faisant gagner du temps. Vous pouvez expliquer à vos clients que l'argent qu'ils pourraient économiser sur la peinture bon marché sera perdu par le travail supplémentaire nécessaire pour appliquer la peinture bon marché. Cela est particulièrement vrai dans les petits emplois où la différence de prix sur quelques gallons n'est pas vraiment beaucoup. La peinture bon marché ne tient généralement pas aussi bien que la bonne peinture.

Si vous voulez utiliser une peinture de qualité inférieure, je recommande le Behr Premium Plus. Un membre ici sur Paint Talk a récemment dit qu'il a regardé un travail de peinture du cabinet qu'il a fait il ya 2 ans avec Behr PP semi-brillant (le client avait déjà acheté la peinture) et le propriétaire est très heureux avec la façon dont il se tient.

Ne laissez personne ici vous intimider sur ce que la marque de peinture qu'ils n'aiment pas.

Désolé pour mon pauvre Français. J'utilise un traducteur en ligne.

futtyos (signifie siffleur en hongrois)
are you talking crap about me again? You are aren't you?

Old 03-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,508
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Répondre au vendeur

Quote:
are you talking crap about me again? You are aren't you?
Comment pourriez-vous le dire?

siffleur
futtyos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #14
Ric

Rewards Points: 160
View Ric's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Thanks
Hey Mykey...

Just as an FYI, VAE is not acrylic...it's vinyl, and it stands for (are you ready for this?), it stands for Ethylene Vinyl Acetate - VAE (this is why the English language is so hard to understand)..

* Actually that's not 100% true - the resin Vinyl Acetate Ethylene (actually VAE) is still vinyl and the difference has largely to do with what % of vinyl acetate is in the mix...I thought I better say that 'fore somebody here jumps my chit...
ridesarize likes this.

Last edited by Ric; 03-07-2017 at 03:26 PM..
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
RH

Rewards Points: 5,646
Thanked 15,402 Times in 8,079 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Please remember that what may be a hashed over subject to many of us established members is all new to people just finding us. And if our search engine allowed us to quickly locate and bring up existing threads about specific subjects, it would be easier for new members to locate past information. But unfortunately...
craftednorth likes this.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
futtyos (03-07-2017), ridesarize (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

We don't use contractor grade paints anymore. Top of the line only. Contractor paints are pretty crappy in my opinion.
chrisn, gamby, Painter and 4 others like this.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
futtyos (03-07-2017), Gymschu (03-07-2017), jprefect (03-15-2017), thamberg (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #17
RH

Rewards Points: 5,646
Thanked 15,402 Times in 8,079 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
We don't use contractor grade paints anymore. Top of the line only. Contractor paints are pretty crappy in my opinion.
I agree. Using top quality products is something we make sure and "sell" to our potential customers. Another reason I encourage them to get their bids in writing and understand what we are offerring when they are considering multiple bids.

I have never been able to understand the mentality of people wanting to maybe save $60-$100 on a project due to cheaper paints when the largest single expense by far is our labor.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
futtyos (03-07-2017), thamberg (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #18

Thanks everyone for all the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post
Why don't you just use the BM regal or Behr Marquee line you like to use?
The reason I don’t want to include Behr’s Marquee or Premium Ultra paint is because the price is inconsistent unlike the contractor grade. I don’t want to quote my client and they see that the paint on sale a week later for 60% of what I am charging them.
The reason I don’t want to include Aura or Regal paint is that usually people that ask to include the paint in the job, don’t want to pay a lot for the paint and don’t care for the brand. Usually, they are the one that purchase the cheapest possible paint available. Don't get me wrong, I will still recommend the superior paint to the client, but I want to have a bare minimum quality of paint I will use. Have you ever had someone ask you to paint using recycled paint? I did. The guy wanted me to use Boomerang paint all around the house. I was able to have him purchase some better paint for the bathroom, kitchen and dining room, but I painted his living room, his bedroom and garage using this crap. It was not as bad as I imagined, but I don’t know what it looks like now 2 years later.

Quote:
If you know so much then you know that we get this same question over and over and over and over again, and there is never a correct answer. That's why the double face palm. It getting real old hearing the same arguments over and over again. So I apologize. There is no real answer. I didn't say anything about you being french btw. I really don't care.
I don't know so much, this is why I asked the question in the first place. After reading several threads about the subject, I was not able to find the information I needed. There might not be a definite answer, but thanks to the kind help of people here, I found the answers that I was looking for and I am now able to make up my mind. I will try the BM Ultra Spec 500 and see if I like it. I will use the Promar if I don't and skip the Behr entirely.

In fact, I just purchased my sample of Ultra Spec 500 today to paint my grandkid’s bedroom this week end and see if I like it. The guy at BM told me it's an excellent paint and is as good as Regal except that it slightly change colour over time in direct sunlight, so for someone that plan to move furniture or need to do touch up in the future, it might not be a good idea to use it. I am a bit sceptic about it being comparable to Regal, but I will see how it turns out.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
I agree. Using top quality products is something we make sure and "sell" to our potential customers. Another reason I encourage them to get their bids in writing and understand what we are offering when they are considering multiple bids.

I have never been able to understand the mentality of people wanting to maybe save $60-$100 on a project due to cheaper paints when the largest single expense by far is our labor.
Maybe the change is due to the fact that the Canadian dollar tanked compared to the US dollar over the years.

I don't know how much you are able to charge in the US for labor and paint, but I would love to see this applied here in Quebec. As an example, my latest customer purchased the Behr Ultra for about $25 per gallon during a buy one get one free and needed about 20 gallons, so around $500. If he purchased 20 gallons of Aura, it would cost him 76.99 +tx per gallon. If I would purchase it using my BM account I would not pay that, but about 55$ per gallon, which is still 600$ more than what the customer paid buying the discounted paint. That amount is just a little shy of what I will charge him for my entire labor considering taxes paid on the paint.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #20
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the information.

The reason I don’t want to include Behr’s Marquee or Premium Ultra paint is because the price is inconsistent unlike the contractor grade. I don’t want to quote my client and they see that the paint on sale a week later for 60% of what I am charging them.
The reason I don’t want to include Aura or Regal paint is that usually people that ask to include the paint in the job, don’t want to pay a lot for the paint and don’t care for the brand. Usually, they are the one that purchase the cheapest possible paint available. Don't get me wrong, I will still recommend the superior paint to the client, but I want to have a bare minimum quality of paint I will use. Have you ever had someone ask you to paint using recycled paint? I did. The guy wanted me to use Boomerang paint all around the house. I was able to have him purchase some better paint for the bathroom, kitchen and dining room, but I painted his living room, his bedroom and garage using this crap. It was not as bad as I imagined, but I don’t know what it looks like now 2 years later.

I don't know so much, this is why I asked the question in the first place. After reading several threads about the subject, I was not able to find the information I needed. There might not be a definite answer, but thanks to the kind help of people here, I found the answers that I was looking for and I am now able to make up my mind. I will try the BM Ultra Spec 500 and see if I like it. I will use the Promar if I don't and skip the Behr entirely.

In fact, I just purchased my sample of Ultra Spec 500 today to paint my grandkid’s bedroom this week end and see if I like it. The guy at BM told me it's an excellent paint and is as good as Regal except that it slightly change colour over time in direct sunlight, so for someone that plan to move furniture or need to do touch up in the future, it might not be a good idea to use it. I am a bit sceptic about it being comparable to Regal, but I will see how it turns out.
I find that very hard to believe.

Tags
None