What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened on a project? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By PACman

Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152
View SweetLu's Photo Album My Photos
Default What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened on a project?

Ok so we recently had a “worst screw up” thread, but what about worst thing that happened with your specific product? For example, paint peeling off, bubbles, cabinets chipping? Also how much time or money did it cost you?
SweetLu is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #2

I’ll go first. Recently we did a cabinet job in high humidity, things didn’t cure as expected, and a lot of paint chipped off while the hardware installers were working. So much that it was downright embarrassing.

I refunded them in full, and thankfully negotiated out of doing any work myself fixing it. I couldn’t afford to do both.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 398
View Painting Practice's Photo Album My Photos

It isn't terrible, there are far more human error stories: Doing a previously painted wrought iron railing, I scraped, sanded, primed with I forget what but it was appropriate, and applied a PPG product in a green and black can, forget the name but it was oil based enamel. Had about 10 hours to dry before some light rain came. When I came back the next day to put on another coat, despite going as light as possible with the first, the entire thing was wrinkled up and could be slid around like an elderly persons skin, what was underneath didn't dry. It actually didn't dry for days, and kept its wrinkled appearance. PPG rep couldn't figure it out and he comped me the can. This was the very last project of a full remodel on a rental I was doing and customer didn't mind too much, especially after I cut the price in half for him.
Painting Practice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 10,202
Thanked 15,352 Times in 8,039 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painting Practice View Post
It isn't terrible, there are far more human error stories: Doing a previously painted wrought iron railing, I scraped, sanded, primed with I forget what but it was appropriate, and applied a PPG product in a green and black can, forget the name but it was oil based enamel. Had about 10 hours to dry before some light rain came. When I came back the next day to put on another coat, despite going as light as possible with the first, the entire thing was wrinkled up and could be slid around like an elderly persons skin, what was underneath didn't dry. It actually didn't dry for days, and kept its wrinkled appearance. PPG rep couldn't figure it out and he comped me the can. This was the very last project of a full remodel on a rental I was doing and customer didn't mind too much, especially after I cut the price in half for him.
HEY! My wrinkled skin doesnít slide around - much.
chrisn and Painting Practice like this.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Had a customer paint right over teflon coated wallpaper once. Came off in a sheet so big my customer rolled up in it like a burrito and posted a pic on her facebook page. BUT at least she was honest about it and mentioned that i warned against painting wallpaper if she wasn't 100% sure of what kind of paper it was.
Woodco likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,384
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos

Back in the early 1980s I had to paint some bathroom walls. They were 9' high and tiled halfway up. I scraped virtually all of the paint off, then decided to prime with a cheap PVC drywall primer. I ended up scraping basically all of that off after it started to wrinkle. I went to the paint store and got the proper primer and finished the job. Never used PVA again for anything!

futtyos
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 42
View PaPainter724's Photo Album My Photos

Had a job where the drywall board was really just absolute garbage, and good heavy body paint wouldn't dry and it just would sag and run no matter what we did. Our paint rep advised us to try cutting the paint down pretty heavily with water to see if it would absorb into the drywall and then just do multiple coats. We did that, and it looked like it was working, until we came back the next day and every inch of board that was painted turned orange. To this day, we still have no clue what was wrong with the board. They ended up tearing it all out, replacing it and had zero issues after. I thought for sure I was going to have to eat the costs for it, but they knew I had never cut corners or screwed them before and took me at my word, thankfully.
PaPainter724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,318
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Chinese drywall from a few years ago?
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 42
View PaPainter724's Photo Album My Photos

The builders swore it wasn't, but that's what I always suspected. I'm just glad they didn't try and throw it back on us.
PaPainter724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:23 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 398
View Painting Practice's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
Chinese drywall from a few years ago?
Somewhat related A while back working in a cabinet shop I cut into some burner sheets of Chinese plywood for some blocking and lo and behold I hit a spot in the saw that felt weird. I looked into the kerf and saw something dark so I wedged the ply apart to find a basketball.
Painting Practice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
HEY! My wrinkled skin doesnít slide around - much.
Ok that's particularly funny to me today. My hubby is getting outta the shower and drying off when he realizes "hey-- the skin on my head moves!"
I'M DYING!! he's seriously concerned and I cant stop laughing.
He's worried about his not so graceful approach to 60 (he's 58).
Of course I demonstrated to him that skin is supposed to move. Thats what it does.
Then (cuz I'm uh......a helpful wife) I offered to make him a dr. Appt so he can have his new concern addressed. One condition....I get to go.i cant miss an opportunity like that. HALARIOUS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25
View deadend's Photo Album My Photos

What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened on a project?-20181203_081825_1544480351204.jpgWhat’s the worst thing that’s ever happened on a project?-20181108_092442_1544480428647.jpg
...worked with some guys I never had before...they'd done lots of work for the client and one worked with one of the most prolific painters in the area for 15 years...my only guess is the Simple Green didn't get washed well enough in places...had to scrape/sand back to solid and recoat...peel off like butter in one spot and hard as a rock 12in from that...gonna get through Xmas and see if anymore spots rear their ugly head...I got paid but I'm still nauseous from the thought that this isn't over...
deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #13
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,055
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadend View Post
Attachment 103199Attachment 103201
...worked with some guys I never had before...they'd done lots of work for the client and one worked with one of the most prolific painters in the area for 15 years...my only guess is the Simple Green didn't get washed well enough in places...had to scrape/sand back to solid
and recoat...peel off like butter in one spot and hard as a rock 12in from that...gonna get through Xmas and see if anymore spots rear their ugly head...I got paid but I'm still nauseous from the thought that this isn't over...
Simple Green didn't get washed well enough?
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #14

That right there looks a lot like my cabinet job. And exactly why I will never take on one again. Even if that worst case scenario happened on walls, walls are easily fixed. Cabinets take so dang long, and so much prep. I cant take fixing them.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #15
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

We were on a #5 story condo railing job a number of years ago and had a 60í lift. Week one someone parked next to it while my dad was up in the basket. He didnít see the car and while rotating wiped out the side of the car. Week two one of the guys drove it onto the grass after it had rained and buried the thing up to the axles. Had to have a one of the semi tow trucks pull it out.

Intestling enough they never called us back for additional work.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 38
View BeerbowerPainting's Photo Album My Photos

While we were painting the exterior of an apartment building this summer I got a call from one of my guys that the JLG (I wasn't the one renting the JLG either the owner of the building did) was not running right. I head over to the job and find out that he had filled the tank with premium gas which he thought was the same thing as diesel... thankfully he shut it off as soon as he realized it wasn't running right and we were able to drain the gas out flush it with diesel and it drove fine after that.
BeerbowerPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None