What would you do with this? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos
Default What would you do with this?

Well, this is the second one for today. Got a call about a small commercial project a few miles from where I live. It's an exterior, a commercial lease space for an auto repair shop. They want the east and west walls repainted, a 110 foot cinder block dividing wall and some overhead doors. The overhead doors are the subject.

Commercial exteriors really aren't my thing either - but again, a job is a job. At least i'm starting to see some action again after an increadibly slow 3 months.

I got the feeling from looking at this that they just want a quick clean up job so they can lease this space out when the auto guys move, so I don't want to get crazy with the prep and quote too high. Normally, if this was a residential project, I would completely repair these overhead doors, but since this is a commercial exterior, I don't think they really care for that kind of detail.

So what would you do with this? They're already in super crappy shape and to bring them back to decent repair would take a lot of time - time that I think they don't want to pay for (there's 3 of these, 12 x 14's) I was thinking a powerwash to get the loose stuff off, a quick scrape and sand and hammer some solid alkyd stain into the cracks to clean these up a bit. It would pain me not to fix these properly, but I need the work and to get the work I need to quote this one on the lower end of the scale. Not a job i'd showcase on my website lol. What kind of attention would you give these - the same?
Attached Thumbnails
What would you do with this?-overhead-doors-damage.jpg  

Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10
View city slicker's Photo Album My Photos

When I get calls like this, I give it to them straight! Time to replace the garage door!!!!! I tell it just like I see it!
city slicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by city slicker View Post
When I get calls like this, I give it to them straight! Time to replace the garage door!!!!! I tell it just like I see it!
That would definitely be my first choice too, but it's not something they would entertain. This building is an old crappy looking POS and i'm only bidding doing half of it. So if they're not going to pay to paint the whole damn thing they're definitely not going to pay for 3 new 12 x 14 doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252
View tedrin's Photo Album My Photos

Those doors aren't too bad,I've seen much worse..I'd get the palm sander out and do the whole door with 100 grit paper...Then mud the cracks with exterior spackle,and caulk where necessary,then sand again.....Then a coat or two of acrylic solid stain...
tedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tedrin For This Useful Post:
Rcon (02-08-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Can you sell them on repairing the doors rather than replacement? No doubt it is the bottoms that took most of the damage. If that is not an option than just make sure to cover in the proposal the extent of work that is going to be invested in the doors.
Sometimes you just have to deliver a less than satisfactory product because that is all they want to pay for. I have been there before, I am not happy with it when it happens but the customer seemed to be.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Rcon (02-08-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 152
Thanked 8,646 Times in 4,035 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Ask them what they want as far as a finished product concerning the doors. My guess is that they'll tell you just to paint them. They're writing the check.
Rcon (02-08-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Ask them what they want as far as a finished product concerning the doors. My guess is that they'll tell you just to paint them. They're writing the check.
True, true. I just fired off an email asking them what they wanted me to do with these. I told them straight up that unless they're willing to pay for the time it'll take to repair them that I won't be able to warranty work to them, but would be able to give them a much better price.

We'll see what they decide. They can't all be picassos
Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrin View Post
Those doors aren't too bad,I've seen much worse..I'd get the palm sander out and do the whole door with 100 grit paper...Then mud the cracks with exterior spackle,and caulk where necessary,then sand again.....Then a coat or two of acrylic solid stain...
This is just a close up of 1 section of 1 door. They're all like this - every single panel, and theres 24 panels on each door. the frames are just as bad.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

You would be surprised at how good those can turn out.Just got to know what your doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
This is just a close up of 1 section of 1 door. They're all like this - every single panel, and theres 24 panels on each door. the frames are just as bad.

Easiest thing is to just palm sand them all {at LEAST the bottoms}then coat with an acrylic solid stain...It may fill in some of the cracking...That's the crappiest fix I'd do....Anytime I power wash,you still have to power sand it afterwards..
Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
You would be surprised at how good those can turn out.Just got to know what your doing.
I've done these before, and I know how nice they can turn out. But that takes time and costs money - i'm only asking because i'm trying to keep my quote on the low side for this one. Doing my normal prep routine on these would mean i'd have to raise the price by a wide margin.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Easiest thing is to just palm sand them all {at LEAST the bottoms}then coat with an acrylic solid stain...It may fill in some of the cracking...That's the crappiest fix I'd do....Anytime I power wash,you still have to power sand it afterwards..
yeah, that's something along the lines of what I think these guys want. "Just want to clean it up a bit" was the term they used. I know a great product for this kind of work - an alkyd latex hybrid solid stain, good and thick so it'd at least hide some of that damage and prevent any wood tannins from bleeding through like it would just using an acrylic.

Last edited by Rcon; 02-08-2010 at 09:36 PM..
Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
I've done these before, and I know how nice they can turn out. But that takes time and costs money - i'm only asking because i'm trying to keep my quote on the low side for this one. Doing my normal prep routine on these would mean i'd have to raise the price by a wide margin.
Well then all you need is to wash the doors, sand the high spots, brush some peel stop on them, add a little caulking, paint your favorite color and your done.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

Instead of guessing at what they are willing to pay for, ask them. Give them two quotes, one done up right and the second just a blow and go.
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
Instead of guessing at what they are willing to pay for, ask them. Give them two quotes, one done up right and the second just a blow and go.
exactly

I always give them a 'good,better,best' option...They rarely go for the "good" option...
Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #16

Quote:
exactly

I always give them a 'good,better,best' option...They rarely go for the "good" option...
True enough. I just got the impression that they only wanted a quick job on this - something i'm not accustomed to doing.

Suppose i'll just add a couple of options to the quote and see what they go for. Nothing wrong with an upsell if indeed they care for it.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
Yeah, but good painters don't do a blow and go. Sure you tell yourself that, but do you really do that, your name has to go on it, so give them a good bid you can live with, and then you wont let your self down.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 250
View capitalcity painting's Photo Album My Photos

Im not sure I would pressure wash them, looks like they could blow apart. At the least you would be pushing alot of water through those cracks and it could hold alot of it.
capitalcity painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity painting View Post
Im not sure I would pressure wash them, looks like they could blow apart. At the least you would be pushing alot of water through those cracks and it could hold alot of it.
I have to unfortunately, the entire building is covered in grease - its an auto repair shop side by side with a gas station, so it's filthy.

The more I think about this the more I think i'm not going to be able to offer them the kind of price I believe they're looking for. Maybe i'll just quote high; that way I can do the kind of work i'm accustomed to performing and if they go for it then great, i'll make some cash and have a job that I can put my name to. If not, then I won't have to be ashamed to say I did the job.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #20
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

I ran into the same situation about 5 years ago with a Pennzoil quick-lube. Whole place covered in grease and similar problems with overhead doors and regular doors. Shot them a very high bid (did not expect to get the job because the bid was so high) They took my bid over several other lower bids becuase I took the time to detail all the work that needed to be done and why. So I would give a bid that you know you can profit from. If you don't get the job you lose no money and if you it you MAKE money. Good luck.
Lambrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lambrecht For This Useful Post:
Rcon (02-08-2010)

Tags
None