What's the best paint remover - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View pbstamford's Photo Album My Photos
Default What's the best paint remover

Hello everyone, I have a big job to remove paint and I will like to know if anyone knows what is a good product that will really work and maybe something that doesn't smell to much. I have to strip it first before I sand, is a stair with banisters and the baseboard also. Thank you for the help.
pbstamford is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25
View oakley's Photo Album My Photos

Look into the Peel-Away family of products from Dumond Chemical.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Even tho I suspect you MAY be a DIY"er I'll toss you this http://www.readystripsales.com/Multi_Strip_s/3.htm If not a DIY kinda guy then, welcome to the site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 156
View Formulator's Photo Album My Photos

The most powerful stripper we use is Byk Power Stripper. It's not on the "not smelly" side, but it really is strong.
Formulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150
View Wing 54's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhag View Post
Even tho I suspect you MAY be a DIY"er I'll toss you this http://www.readystripsales.com/Multi_Strip_s/3.htm If not a DIY kinda guy then, welcome to the site.

What was the giveaway? Not how much to charge too?
Ditto the if not DIY, then welcome.
Wing 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

That stain and sealer remover that Sherwin Williams sells works pretty good, I just stripped the deck of a house I am painting and it took the 3 coats of paint existing on the house off with ease....

Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

1) Why on earth do you have to strip a stair and a banister? All of those balusters? Yipes! Short of restoring some antique woodwork, I can't think of any reason you would need/want to do that. Are you sure you want/need to strip this? It will be a heinous job.

2) There is no best chemical paint remover. What works for latex may not work for oil, what works for your 6 year old doors may not work for your 50 year old trim, what worked yesterday may be reformulated and not work today. If you know specifically the type and age of paint/coatings to be removed, it might help with suggesting a remover. Or, if you don't know, that's a fair answer too...some are better strippers for "unknowns" than others.

3) You are really in for a messy, messy, painstaking job, that may require multiple strips of different chemicals that will stink the house up for weeks and provide you with lots of hazardous waste to be disposed of, and may still need a huge amount of mechanical removal (sanding)....are you sure you want to strip this?

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
1) Why on earth do you have to strip a stair and a banister? All of those balusters? Yipes! Short of restoring some antique woodwork, I can't think of any reason you would need/want to do that. Are you sure you want/need to strip this? It will be a heinous job.

2) There is no best chemical paint remover. What works for latex may not work for oil, what works for your 6 year old doors may not work for your 50 year old trim, what worked yesterday may be reformulated and not work today. If you know specifically the type and age of paint/coatings to be removed, it might help with suggesting a remover. Or, if you don't know, that's a fair answer too...some are better strippers for "unknowns" than others.

3) You are really in for a messy, messy, painstaking job, that may require multiple strips of different chemicals that will stink the house up for weeks and provide you with lots of hazardous waste to be disposed of, and may still need a huge amount of mechanical removal (sanding)....are you sure you want to strip this?
Good points Slick !

Remeinds me of the time we were asked to strip a banister in a circa 1700's house. We needed three different strippers. One for the top coat of latex, another for the lead under (thank god this was in the 70's), and then something for the original milk paint. Never did find out what takes that stuff off easily.

You are correct Sir, "Short of restoring some antique woodwork, I can't think of any reason you would need/want to do that.". And that was our goal. It sure looked gorgeous after.

BTW, twenty some years ago, 5F5 was the ballz. Stinky,caustic, and nasty stuff, but it did work.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #9
me paint pretty one day

Rewards Points: 150
View stansoph's Photo Album My Photos

Turco 6840S

Last edited by stansoph; 06-06-2008 at 01:28 AM..
stansoph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None