whats the most popular ? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266
View tntpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default whats the most popular ?

im tired of secureing jobs ,only to have people cancel days before the job was to start .ive never asked for deposits before but man im gonna now. im thinking half upfront and the rest upon completion does that sound fair ? tired of the b.s.
tntpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntpainting View Post
im tired of secureing jobs ,only to have people cancel days before the job was to start .ive never asked for deposits before but man im gonna now. im thinking half upfront and the rest upon completion does that sound fair ? tired of the b.s.

I never got half down, but typically grab 20% and have a signed contract.

Last minute cancellations are BS :p

Real Life Steve Austin the Bionic Man
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Try putting a cancellation policy in your contract.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Signed contract, deposit and cancellation clause. It will 100% eliminate your problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

How far out were they booked?
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the input guys I have a basic contract but I will put in a cancellation clause absolutely need to stop nonsense from my perspective customers . The only time this happens is w/ new customers but doesn't lesson the grief .I do alot of repeat buisness most people are loyal .
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Can't relate, never had a scheduled job cancel. Give some examples so we could dissect your problem and try to help you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timhag For This Useful Post:
MNpainter (04-02-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #8

I m not really sure why , I thought maybe my price? But quality costs , I think my rates are competitive in the area . But u can be sure I'll be getting deposits from all my customers so hopefully that solves my problem . ( maybe the illegals are back in town ) lost work to them couple of years ago .
Old 04-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #9

They left?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
I m not really sure why , I thought maybe my price? But quality costs , I think my rates are competitive in the area . But u can be sure I'll be getting deposits from all my customers so hopefully that solves my problem . ( maybe the illegals are back in town ) lost work to them couple of years ago .
If you had it scheduled and they are canceling days before the job, apparently the have accepted your price. No?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
You need to sell yourself/workmanship. Need to build your reputation. Give referrals. Build a relationship with them at hello. I never have nor will ask for money just to schedule a job.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #12

That's what I was thinking. So is why I was asking how far out were they scheduled. Or maybe there is a communication break down somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
timhag (04-01-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
. Or maybe there is a communication break down somewhere.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhag View Post
You need to sell yourself/workmanship. Need to build your reputation. Give referrals. Build a relationship with them at hello. I never have nor will ask for money just to schedule a job.
How you conduct yourself, will eliminate most people walking on a contract. You must present yourself in a business like manner first and foremost. A deposit helps "lock-in" the remainder. It can be small, but anything given as a deposit just helps solidify the commitmient in the customers mind.
timhag (04-01-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
How you conduct yourself, will eliminate most people walking on a contract. You must present yourself in a business like manner first and foremost. A deposit helps "lock-in" the remainder. It can be small, but anything given as a deposit just helps solidify the commitmient in the customers mind.
I hear ya Scmmidty

The Following User Says Thank You to timhag For This Useful Post:
Schmidt & Co. (04-01-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #16
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

I don't like to hold large amounts of money from people, and most people are nervous about dropping a grand or two 4-6 weeks out, let alone 8-12 weeks out. Most of the time I stay at least scheduled 4-6 wks min but this time of year I cut off new work after I get 10-12 weeks out.

My standard is a non-refundable deposit of $200 at the time of signing the contract and 50% at the start, with the balance when finished. Last year I started to offer the option of either the $200 cash or securing the $200 with a credit card and the card would not be charged unless the contract is canceled. Unless they flat out cancel the card, with a signed contract stating the agreement, they wouldn't have a chance to dispute it with the credit card company.

This way they are invested in the project without risking large amounts of money. I don't normally charge existing/repeat customers a deposit and many times don't collect until the job is finished unless it is a large project.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Yea, I would feel weird asking for a deposit before I even started. I think over time I have had a few people cancel for what ever reasons. Was not really that big of a deal because I just moved to the next job on the schedule.

My feeling is chit happens, to us and to our customers.

Pat

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #18
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Heard a story from a local how a customer called and canceled the night before. Some bullsh!t reason about snow and not being able to get trucks in the driveway.

THE NIGHT BEFORE !!!

I couldn't believe it.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with Tim. Never had that happen or ask for anything up front. Would definitely make certain you are answering all their questions thoroughly and leaving them confident you will take care of them.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack pauhl For This Useful Post:
timhag (04-02-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 254
View DanielMDollaPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Some people get sold at the consultation and are eager to say yes without any other prices. Then talk to a few friends about the price or use the price to get other contractors to get under the price and then back out like it is no big deal. Lets face it, without any down money, they have nothing to lose.
My buddy had an order online with a company than fiound it alot cheaper on another site. Called them back and explained that this other company had there price beat substatially and cancelled. It's the way people think now adays with the walmart,homedepot, lowest price mentality. People are literally going into walmart and large department stores and "haggling" the price like they are at a yard sale. Get used to it. Without money down or something to lose they have nothing to lose and they don't really care about there integrity aas a person as long as they get the lowest price or the "best value" for thier dollar. These aholes are the first people to complain about the lack of customer service. They want everything for nothing.

DanielMDollaPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None