Whitest White - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 2 Post By PACman

Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,141
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos
Default Whitest White

Do companies still do on the shelf, standard white paint or do they all need to be custom mixed now. AND what is the whitest as in pure white?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 912
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

BM has a premixed white in most lines. Whitest BM color is Chantilly lace
jennifertemple likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,068
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

ProClassic basic white is a very bright white white. Can't believe I just used "white" 3 times in a sentence. Other SW whites tend to be grayish. I know I miss their Classic 99 Bright white ceiling paint. It was indeed bright and indeed very white. Makes you wonder what happened to the formula that made it such a great ceiling paint.
jennifertemple likes this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 498
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
Do companies still do on the shelf, standard white paint or do they all need to be custom mixed now. AND what is the whitest as in pure white?
yes, 'stock white' is almost always available, and they usually have fairly good coverage for a white.

The "whitest whites" can sometimes have a problem with poor coverage due to "lack of pigment". I usually avoid them for this reason, and make the customer aware that poor coverage can lead to multiple coats.
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Holland For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,778
Thanked 4,699 Times in 3,167 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Cali Freshcoat pastel base is the whitest white paint i have ever sold. Even whiter than any of the Ben Moore products. It uses a high grade TiO2 and actually hides pretty well for an un-tinted white. Unfortunately the only way to actually compare the brightness of whites is to do side by side dry comparisons. Some paints are quite white when they are wet and dry grayer. Some actually are gray when wet and dry whiter! (PPG 5-70 for example) This is due to the multitude of cheap pigments there are out there. I have drawdowns of most competitive white or pastel bases as well as most package whites. The Cali and Ben Moore product lines are the whitest overall. There are some regional brands that i don't have access to that may be pretty white as well. If i remember Correctly Kelly-Moore and Dunn Edwards were known for being pretty bright white as well. Now the hot button! Very few SW products are actually bright white, regardless of what the name of the color or base on the can says. They can call a white anything so you can't go buy such things as "brilliant white" or "extra white". They don't mean anything. And product for product the PPG/Glidden paints lines are significantly brighter that the SW product lines.

And believe it or not Behr makes pretty decently bright whites as well.

Ancient Chinese laundry secret! Put a few drops of purple colorant in a white to make it appear brighter! (the laundry secret? I few drops of india ink in the wash water.)

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #6

@PACman What do you think of PPG's "Delicate White" (1001-1)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
yes, 'stock white' is almost always available, and they usually have fairly good coverage for a white.

The "whitest whites" can sometimes have a problem with poor coverage due to "lack of pigment". I usually avoid them for this reason, and make the customer aware that poor coverage can lead to multiple coats.
fortunately it's just trims and they are already white. HO just wants to brighten them up a bit so they will look as fresh as the walls & ceilings that are being done. I am expecting coverage will not be an issue as long as the white I use is a pure a white as is on there now. Oddly, the PPG fan book seems to ignore whites, there is only one that seems truly white; all the rest are off whites.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
@PACman What do you think of PPG's "Delicate White" (1001-1)
according to my formula book that has a tiny bit of raw umber in it, which wouldn't be enough to dull the white very much. Of course a lot depends on how gray the base they are using is, but it is a pretty bright white.

Several paint companies don't have a large selection of actual "whites" simply because their bases are too grayed off to be able to make a bright white. You can't go brighter than the base already is. SW has major problems with this. I have had issues with PPG bases as well. Trying to tint bright whites and nice crisp pastels is impossible with SW in general and some PPG products. There are quite a few BM colors that you just cannot make in SW or PPG. Quite a few Cali colors are that way in that the Cali bases aren't off shaded so you can make extremely bright whites and bright crisp pastels with them. In fact Cali is the only paint brand i have ever tinted with regularity that i have never had a problem tinting any color with, even the so called "specialty paints" that claim to have colors that can't be matched due to their special pigments. If anyone wants to test this i can give you some Cali colors to take to your local SW store so you can watch them struggle to match.

One of P&L's big selling points was that their bases were so much brighter than most paint brands so their color selection had much brighter and cleaner colors than them. Much brighter colors than their parent company SW for example.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
fortunately it's just trims and they are already white. HO just wants to brighten them up a bit so they will look as fresh as the walls & ceilings that are being done. I am expecting coverage will not be an issue as long as the white I use is a pure a white as is on there now. Oddly, the PPG fan book seems to ignore whites, there is only one that seems truly white; all the rest are off whites.
You'd be surprised how badly some "whites" cover over existing whites. I have a nice sample wall i like to show people that has several brands "whites" over white stripes that don't cover. PM 200 for example. You can literally see how grey it is and the white underneath it showing through. At 2 mils dry too. But if you have a nice uniform color underneath it, it (PM200) has nice even coverage. It's when you paint over different colors that it shows how piss poor the coverage actually is. Over drywall you need 4-5 coats of PM 200 to get the color on the wall to actually match the color in the can or a color chip.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:44 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 170
View CK_68847's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
BM has a premixed white in most lines. Whitest BM color is Chantilly lace
If I remember correctly that is Marshall’s main color. Chantilly lace seemed like a dirty white to me.
CK_68847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 912
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_68847 View Post
If I remember correctly that is Marshall’s main color. Chantilly lace seemed like a dirty white to me.
Nope it's the whitest white. Just the tint base and a shot of gray the premixed white and pm2 white has like 3x the gray
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None