Whitewash stained knotty pine - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 386
View cardgunner's Photo Album My Photos
Default Whitewash stained knotty pine

A customer wants his stained knotty pine bedroom painted. I told him of the extra time required to prime the wood because of the knots, and stain, bleeding thru. He didn't want to pay for that. Go figure. However he said he didn't mind the knots, he just wants it brighter. Can previously stained knotty pine walls be effectively whitewashed or use a "white" stain? Everything I seen on the web was whitewashing on fresh pine.

Thanks,
Cardgunner.
cardgunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post
A customer wants his stained knotty pine bedroom painted. I told him of the extra time required to prime the wood because of the knots, and stain, bleeding thru. He didn't want to pay for that. Go figure. However he said he didn't mind the knots, he just wants it brighter. Can previously stained knotty pine walls be effectively whitewashed or use a "white" stain? Everything I seen on the web was whitewashing on fresh pine.

Thanks,
Cardgunner.
How dark is the stain? I think if you go for a white wash type stain your gonna have a lot of bleed through with the old stain. With a paint I don't you'd have any issues, just a light prime and finish
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
How dark is the stain? I think if you go for a white wash type stain your gonna have a lot of bleed through with the old stain. With a paint I don't you'd have any issues, just a light prime and finish
Stain is pretty dark. I don't think I could get away with a light prime and finish. Those knots would bleed thru. I've always needed to do a shellac prime.

With a whitewash the knots AND the grain come thru. It makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
Stain is pretty dark. I don't think I could get away with a light prime and finish. Those knots would bleed thru. I've always needed to do a shellac prime.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post

But isn't that the point of a wash? If I understand it correctly a wash is a light coat to have some sort of transparency.

But I've seen a lot of people call white painted surface a wash lately so....who knows.

Sounds like basically a faux finish job to me. What do you plan to do? White primer to get rid of the dark stain? Not sure how you'd get away with a transparent white on top of a dark stain.

Post pics if u do it.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

If they want a transparent stain a full strip is in order
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 464
View Toolnut's Photo Album My Photos

Would not the clear finish that is on there now minimize the bleed thru. Assuming there is a clear finish.
Toolnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None