Who did that! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 109
View Bighead's Photo Album My Photos
Default Who did that!

Walked onto a jobsite yesterday to get started on a kitchen remodel. During a conversation with the GC I noticed a dent on the new refrigerator. So I pointed at it and the GC says, "who did that?!" I did not have a single tool on sight so it wasn't me. But of course the painter gets the blame.

I should have said, "ask your plumber, plasterer, tile guy, floor guy, countertop installers, electrician, finish carpenter, homeowner, etc

Anytime I start a remodel the cabinets, appliances and flooring get thoroughly inspected.
Bighead is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75
View JHill's Photo Album My Photos

Definatly a good idea to inspect eveything before getting started, and point anything out that is seen. Good catch on the fridge.
JHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Walked onto a jobsite yesterday to get started on a kitchen remodel. During a conversation with the GC I noticed a dent on the new refrigerator. So I pointed at it and the GC says, "who did that?!" I did not have a single tool on sight so it wasn't me. But of course the painter gets the blame.

I should have said, "ask your plumber, plasterer, tile guy, floor guy, countertop installers, electrician, finish carpenter, homeowner, etc

Anytime I start a remodel the cabinets, appliances and flooring get thoroughly inspected.
I now take my camera with me on every job.

I take before pics, during pics, pics of how 1 vs 2 vs 3 coats looks if h/o is not around that way I don't get the "i'm not stupid that's OBVIOUSLY only one coat" garbage.

I also take pics of pretty well every drip ding dent etc. I can find just to make sure I don't get the blame.

Never been burnt yet, learn from others mistakes before you make them yourself!

Real Life Steve Austin the Bionic Man
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BC_Painter For This Useful Post:
brushmonkey (05-17-2010), dubinpainting (05-16-2010), Wolfgang (05-16-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

good save!!!

i take digital pics also.

my camera has saved me from stuff like this several times.

paint on brick,
broken windows,
paint on shingles,
paint on concrete,
broken furniture sofa table
broken picture frame,
broken ikea crap furniture
stain on carpet,
missing screen,
missing window crank
scratches on hardwood floor

i have been blamed for every one of these!!! the digital camera saved the day.

i love the look on their face when i show them,,,,,they even argue a bit beforehand.
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnthepainter For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (05-16-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead
I hear ya
My best story like that is the call-back I went on to look at a floor gouge
It was so obviously made by a 7 1/4 circ saw I couldn't believe we were even considered as the culprits...but OK, maybe Homey don't know that
So after explaining that to said H/O. he said he "...I talked to the carpenters and they said it wasn't them"

So after explaining that I have liability ins. and if it were our fault, I'd have no problem whatsoever about calling them to fix this, I then went into the explanation of the precise nature of the gouge (a 7 1/4" diameter smile)
I then invited the client to come out to my truck and find a tool capable of such a precise gouge

Needless to say, he declined my offer

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by high fibre View Post
good save!!!

i take digital pics also.

my camera has saved me from stuff like this several times.

paint on brick,
broken windows,
paint on shingles,
paint on concrete,
broken furniture sofa table
broken picture frame,
broken ikea crap furniture
stain on carpet,
missing screen,
missing window crank
scratches on hardwood floor

i have been blamed for every one of these!!! the digital camera saved the day.

i love the look on their face when i show them,,,,,they even argue a bit beforehand.
I want to work John, for I know you would be looking after us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
View boman47k's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post

You hadn't even gotten started, and he was placing blame on you?

Good idea taking pics.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Recently, I was doing a bunch of repaints on Apt units. Basically, the manager had all these units she had to get ready and her "handyman" couldn't get them done fast enough. I came in, got her caught up, and then wouldn't you know it, she blames me for some paint splatter, which was from a previous paint.
It was so obvious she was looking for an excuse to tell me she didn't need my services anymore, and chose to use this bogus situation as a reason. I obviously was more expensive than what she pays this handyman who lives on site. I did take some pictures of the worst units in order to defend myself, but ironically didn't on the one she decided to blame me with.
I was sorta upset she was doing this, but, after a short deliberation, realized I was better off cutting my ties with this relationship anyway. The money wasn't that great, plus they expect you to jump at attention whenever they need you there and get something done. But thats the apartment painting game, usually.

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None