Why No Staircases? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
hopeless perfectionist

Rewards Points: 156
View Picky Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Why No Staircases?

I don't know about you guys, but in my area a significant amount of the homes have been built in the last 25 years or so. Alot of these homes are ripe for renos and upgrading and alot of people are having their staircases refurbished. This usually means carpeted treads are replaced with hardwood, new spindles(pickets, whatever u call em), new main posts, a change in stain coloration of the wood(usually changed from golden or honey oak to something richer/darker looking) and sometimes the risers and stringers are painted to match the trim in the house. Some painters in this area will not take on the work of staining/polying/painting these kinds of projects.

I have a fair amount of staircases under my belt now and I get why some people are loathe to do them, but work is work. Since I haven't seen anybody hear yet comment on doing staircase work, I was wondering if you guys and gals take them on or avoid them.
Picky Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Most of the staircases I do are from NC mostly wrought iron spindles here. I enjoy doing them.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
View WAGGZ's Photo Album My Photos

I don't mind them, but I do them T & M.

I had to do my parents this summer. It had over 50 spiral fluted spindles and 6 very custom balustrades. But after a coat of oil Impervo it was blingin'. I'm going to wait until she wants the wall by it painted to put a pic in my portfolio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think of a fair price as one that puts my kids through private school and offers value to the homeowner... -Pressure Pros
WAGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 83
View ortiz23's Photo Album My Photos

I don't do a lot of them but I do them when i can. I have a custom house coming up soon to stain the treads and paint the risers and also do the spindals, stringers, posts etc. I am sure i will get sick of it at one point since this homeowner who i continually do work isn't the nicest guy to work for but i am looking forward to it. There isn't many staircases out here that don't have carpet so i look forward to it because it looks fantastic when its all said and done and is something different rather than boring carpet.

Agreed Waggz, impervo is the way to go for paint grade!
ortiz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250
View capitalcity painting's Photo Album My Photos

When I get called to do a staircase its usually just the walls as the HO has already done the rest of the house but cant figure out how to manuever on the stairs. They all think you need some kind of scaffolding.
capitalcity painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
View One Coat Coverage's Photo Album My Photos

Work is work, painting is painting. I've never turned down a staircase, never thought differently about them than any other aspect of the job.
One Coat Coverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
wje

Rewards Points: 1,048
Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,228 Posts
View wje's Photo Album My Photos

I have done 5 this past month. I tell yea I am not sorry to see them go, but at the same time I made thousands doing them and have thought about going to the local stair and handrail company and offering to finish all of their work. They don't offer the finishing as a service and never refer anyone to do it. I know it sucks sometimes when there is nice paintjobs that can make more money but the satisfaction of woodwork for me is greater than painting... it is a more preserved look instead of a cover up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None