Will You Ever Really Retire? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree30Likes

Old 04-13-2019, 11:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,057
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos
Question Will You Ever Really Retire?

I can not imagine a life without work. I may slow down, do projects with a more limited scope BUT retire!?! I can not imagine a life in which I am no longer a contributor. What then, hang out and wait to die? When do we reach the age when we are no longer useful?

Remember those slow months when the phone rarely rang and you got tired of odd jobs around the house. Can you really imagine that as a life style.

Is the 80th Birthday when we get told to stop living and go sit in the corner? THEN ME!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,488
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

It'd be really nice to even have the option. Something I cant even fathom. Us Americans are kinda screwed in that sense.
Wildbill7145 and Holland like this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
It'd be really nice to even have the option. Something I cant even fathom. Us Americans are kinda screwed in that sense.
How so? Don't you have any retirement funds or assets? That would be kind of scary!

No one in my family has "retired" for some generations. One great Uncle died while roofing a house at 98, another great Uncle was a Post Master and worked til his dying day at the ripe age of 96. My father was forced to retire at 65 and was dead 6 years later. My spouse is 71 and still working full time as am I at 62. We could both retire tomorrow if we chose but would have no idea what to do with ourselves if we did.

Nothing is more frightening to me than becoming useless! I have been working for wages since I was seven years old; it's the only life I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,228
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Just because you retire doesn't mean you become useless! Instead of working yourself to the bone, fighting traffic, getting up too early, bitching at your spouse, or as your Uncle did, die while roofing a house at 98. Why in effin hell would anyone think of climbing a ladder and getting on a roof at that age unless they were contemplating suicide?

Instead, you could pursue things like shopping for great food products and cooking gourmet meals, watching your favorite game show(Jeopardy), reading whatever the heck you've always wanted to, surfing the net, going to museums, going to the beach, becoming one with nature, stopping to smell the roses, playing golf, taking leisurely walks, have lengthy meaningful conversations with your significant other, etc. etc. etc.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:48 AM   #5

@ Brushman4 Because I love love painting. My Great Uncles loved their jobs too! Nobody thought it was strange for them to keep doing what they had always done. My father was heartbroken when they disposed of him.

I shop for great food now & cook great meals now but it is not a life in and of itself. BTW: I don't bitch at my spouse nor he at me or at least it's rare. We're partners in this life and respectful of each other. I can do all the things you list, do most, and still keep painting. I have always said I want to die with my brush in hand! I did mean it!

Clearly I'm an outlier! Doing what you love to do, you never work a day in your life!

Old 04-14-2019, 02:41 AM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 9,794
Thanked 15,314 Times in 8,011 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

My target age for retiring from painting was 65. That was almost a year ago. But, I still enjoy working and still do pretty well physically so I continue to take on jobs and just renewed my state license for another two years. However, for the past year or so I have been way more selective about what jobs I take on and by this time next year I will be retiring for good. At that time I won’t be renewing my insurance and bond and will let everyone know we are out of the game permanently.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #7
King Dude

Rewards Points: 4,998
Thanked 5,021 Times in 2,849 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

I like painting just fine but I can think of plenty to do instead. Fishing, guitar, and traveling would be fine replacements for painting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,488
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
How so? Don't you have any retirement funds or assets? That would be kind of scary!

No one in my family has "retired" for some generations. One great Uncle died while roofing a house at 98, another great Uncle was a Post Master and worked til his dying day at the ripe age of 96. My father was forced to retire at 65 and was dead 6 years later. My spouse is 71 and still working full time as am I at 62. We could both retire tomorrow if we chose but would have no idea what to do with ourselves if we did.

Nothing is more frightening to me than becoming useless! I have been working for wages since I was seven years old; it's the only life I know.
Not really.... Its not like non-union painting jobs offer a 401k's, or pay enough to save money. I've been in debt my entire life. Now that Im on my own, I can chip away at that debt, and hopefully start putting something away....
Holland likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Not really.... Its not like non-union painting jobs offer a 401k's, or pay enough to save money. I've been in debt my entire life. Now that Im on my own, I can chip away at that debt, and hopefully start putting something away....

Good Luck!

For me, retirement means refusing jobs I'm not crazy to take and only working when I want to. I'm pretty comfortable with that. I call it semi-retired.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 104
View Toolseeker's Photo Album My Photos

Instead, you could pursue things like shopping for great food products and cooking gourmet meals, watching your favorite game show(Jeopardy), reading whatever the heck you've always wanted to, surfing the net, going to museums, going to the beach, becoming one with nature, stopping to smell the roses, playing golf, taking leisurely walks, have lengthy meaningful conversations with your significant other, etc. etc. etc.

This all sounds like being pretty useless to me. At 73 I guess the answer is no, if I'm doing something I like why would I quit
jennifertemple likes this.
Toolseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolseeker For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,052
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

I sure would like to retire someday, just to say "I made it." I love the PAINTING part of this life-long job, but the other parts, especially paperwork and taxes, I loathe. And, I've previously stated how much I hate taking or making phone calls even though it's the life blood of the business world. Text me and I'm happy, call me and I become "grumpy old man." I guess after so many years you get a feel for how each call is going to go based on what is said. Anymore, (and I know this sounds crazy) when someone says, "can you give me an estimate on what it's going to cost?" I already know they won't/don't have the money to have the painting work done.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,052
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

I also have come to dislike the "helpless people." You know the ones. They call you, the painter, to come screw in a light bulb, put outlet covers on, blow leaves and twigs off the roof, etc. Just had one on Saturday. Customer calls and says she has a few screws loose, yes, you read that correctly. It was indeed a few screws.......on her shutters. 4 of them came loose after many years of service. It took me all of 5 mins to put new ones in. She surely had a screwdriver somewhere in her house? I'm sure if I charged her $100 for the service, that would end the crazy calls for simple stuff, but, I have a heart, I guess.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I also have come to dislike the "helpless people." You know the ones. They call you, the painter, to come screw in a light bulb, put outlet covers on, blow leaves and twigs off the roof, etc. Just had one on Saturday. Customer calls and says she has a few screws loose, yes, you read that correctly. It was indeed a few screws.......on her shutters. 4 of them came loose after many years of service. It took me all of 5 mins to put new ones in. She surely had a screwdriver somewhere in her house? I'm sure if I charged her $100 for the service, that would end the crazy calls for simple stuff, but, I have a heart, I guess.
I learned early on to say sure, I can do that for you and it will only cost you $### / @ double my usual rates. I learned to do this my mid 30s when I drew the line at "Could you do a favor for me, I need my garage cleaned up enough to get my car in." SO I said sure it will only cost..." Her jaw just about hit her knees. I said, "Well, I'm a painter. If you want something that has nothing to do with paint I charge more."

I am 62 now. I have other things I do as well as painting; I do rare book cleaning and repairs, some bookbinding, furniture refinishing and I paint pictures on canvas and paper. I only take jobs I will enjoy doing and I no longer work my butt off.

I will not work for people who make me hate something I love to do! I used to really work a grueling schedule in my middle years. Now I'm the laid back painter. I have a small stable of regular clients and take the odd new one but only on a good referral. I have also simplified my tax issues and let a CA take care of the paper work. For me, this is retirement.

(I just found out we can not write 3 Xs in a row! Whats up with that?!)

Last edited by jennifertemple; 04-14-2019 at 07:26 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jennifertemple For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-15-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #14

@Gymschu After you move, don't spoil any more people with cost free favors unless it was your own idea and of your own free will!
Gymschu likes this.

Last edited by jennifertemple; 04-14-2019 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling, AGAIN!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 AM   #15

Quote:
@ Brushman4 Because I love love painting. My Great Uncles loved their jobs too! Nobody thought it was strange for them to keep doing what they had always done. My father was heartbroken when they disposed of him.

I shop for great food now & cook great meals now but it is not a life in and of itself. BTW: I don't bitch at my spouse nor he at me or at least it's rare. We're partners in this life and respectful of each other. I can do all the things you list, do most, and still keep painting. I have always said I want to die with my brush in hand! I did mean it!

Clearly I'm an outlier! Doing what you love to do, you never work a day in your life!
Wow, jennifer are you saying your Great Uncle was still doing roofing jobs at 98 for HO"S? How at that age did anyone insure him?

I know for sure if I was in the market for a new roof and he came out to give me an estimate and looked a day over 90, I'd say sorry, no way. Give someone else a chance who really needs the money to support a family.

It's quite noble of you to want to die with a brush in your hand, but I wouldn't want anyone to do that while painting my house!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
Wow, jennifer are you saying your Great Uncle was still doing roofing jobs at 98 for HO"S? How at that age did anyone insure him?

I know for sure if I was in the market for a new roof and he came out to give me an estimate and looked a day over 90, I'd say sorry, no way. Give someone else a chance who really needs the money to support a family.

It's quite noble of you to want to die with a brush in your hand, but I wouldn't want anyone to do that while painting my house!
Ah, in my grand parents / great uncles day, it was a different world. Insurance was optional, no workman's comp, communities were smaller and people hired the their neighbors. You took up your trade based on community need and most followed in father's foot steps. People might start apprenticing in their trade as young as 6 or 7. You could not get away with it in the new world. Worse, if you're an employee you can be told to go sit in the corner when you hit 65. Remember, this was a time of root cellars, ice box refrigerators, and storing butter at the bottom of the well to preserve it. If you needed a new cooking spoon you carved it and the only preservation of food was canning in mason jars, salt packing or drying.

P.S. I think I might have been mistaken in that it was not my great uncles but rather great, great; my grand mothers Uncles.

Last edited by jennifertemple; 04-15-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #17
RH

Rewards Points: 9,794
Thanked 15,314 Times in 8,011 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Ah, in my grand parents / great uncles day, it was a different world. Insurance was optional, no workman's comp, communities were smaller and people hired the their neighbors. You took up your trade based on community need and most followed in father's foot steps. People might start apprenticing in their trade as young as 6 or 7. You could not get away with it in the new world. Worse, if you're an employee you can be told to go sit in the corner when you hit 65. Remember, this was a time of root cellars, ice box refrigerators, and storing butter at the bottom of the well to preserve it. If you needed a new cooking spoon you carved it and the only preservation of food was canning in mason jars, salt packing or drying.

P.S. I think I might have been mistaken in that it was not my great uncles but rather great, great; my grand mothers Uncles.
Hell, that long ago, 98 would be like being 128 these days. Hard to believe anyone even let him within 100 yards of a ladder let alone up on a roof working.

My great, great grandfather came out to Oregon in 1847 on the Oregon Trail at the age of 86 (not on his own, he came with his four sons, his daughter, and their families) but he died the next year. I always thought he must have been an incredibly tough old bird but he was obviously a wimp compared to your great uncle.
Brushman4 likes this.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 04-15-2019 at 10:33 AM..
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Hell, that long ago, 98 would be like being 128 these days. Hard to believe anyone even let him within 100 yards of a ladder let alone up on a roof working.

I think it was pretty common then for people to work until they were disabled or died. Retirement wasn't a thing, in those days. I will say, they were pretty famous within our own family history and stories. Most of the family were not so robust! My father's father left us at age 74, and my own father went at age 72. Average life expectancy in my family is about 84-85. The Uncles were on my Mother's side of the family, maybe they had better DNA. My Mother is 90 and still going strong.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #19

Quote:
I think it was pretty common then for people to work until they were disabled or died. Retirement wasn't a thing, in those days. I will say, they were pretty famous within our own family history and stories. Most of the family were not so robust! My father's father left us at age 74, and my own father went at age 72. Average life expectancy in my family is about 84-85. The Uncles were on my Mother's side of the family, maybe they had better DNA. My Mother is 90 and still going strong.
My Mothers 92 and lives in assisted living. She was a bookkeeper from the time she was seventeen until she hung up her adding machine when she was in her early '60's. I love her and know she was a good bookkeeper, but let's put it this way I wouldn't let her do my taxes, nowadays!
Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post

He was not insured. Being my grand mother's uncles, we're taking something like the 1830's because my own grand father was born 1898 and they were the previous generation. Going back that many generations, none of the trades were insured and in fact, most did not have a "journeyman's License", they just did what they had been taught to do. Many could not even read or write. It was a small community and he just worked for neighbors and friends. In his case, he did, actually and literally die on a roof! (Massive heart attack) As for me dying with a brush in hand, I will try hard to not actually be on the job site when it happens! It really was just a figure of speech!

Last edited by jennifertemple; 04-15-2019 at 12:19 PM..

Tags
None