Working on Warped Cedar shakes Roof - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By kmp
  • 1 Post By Brushman4
  • 1 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 1 Post By ThreeSistersPainting

Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,766
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Working on Warped Cedar shakes Roof

How do you normally deal with working on warped cedar shakes roofing?

I mean I normally use a roof boot with my Pivit tool. I also use roof jacks with a plank. This surface is uneven and I'm worried about driving screws into the cedar shakes. Will they crack? Will they take hold?

Here is a Pic of the job
Attached Thumbnails
Working on Warped Cedar shakes Roof-sheldons-house.jpg  

Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

Here is an old thread. https://www.painttalk.com/f2/roof-jacks-cedar-67690/

One guy suggests using deck screws and to fasten the roof jacks between the gaps. One guy says to drill a pilot hole. I'm still not confident that I won't crack the warped shingles when walking on them.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,595
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

What about renting a cherry picker (lift)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #4

I was really hoping to get some advice on this problem. Has nobody ever worked or built a platform on a roof with cedar shakes? Can someone suggest how I can get the answer? I've called several places including 4 of my paint reps and a cedar dealer and nobody can help. Financially, renting a boom lift is not going to work. I'm not sure that would even help with painting the 7' high round pillars. There was a time when we had 50 active posters in here. That number is down to less than 10.

This job would be a piece of cake if it had regular asphalt shingles. All you do it use some roof jacks and a wooden plank along with a Pivot tool and a roof boot.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 07-07-2018 at 11:31 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #5
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,362
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Anything you do that involves placing a screw in old shakes is probably going to split them even if you drill a pilot hole. You will have to use a pretty long deck screw to go through a 2x4 and shakes and be able to bit into the sub-roof. The bitch is having to have the two different roof angles and try to get them both. My problem with any of this type of work on an upper end house is that if you can't afford to maintain a house like that then you shouldn't live in a house like that. Lots of rope work and queer placements. I have no real answer for you but be safe.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,982
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
Anything you do that involves placing a screw in old shakes is probably going to split them even if you drill a pilot hole. You will have to use a pretty long deck screw to go through a 2x4 and shakes and be able to bit into the sub-roof. The bitch is having to have the two different roof angles and try to get them both. My problem with any of this type of work on an upper end house is that if you can't afford to maintain a house like that then you shouldn't live in a house like that. Lots of rope work and queer placements. I have no real answer for you but be safe.
I agree if you have a high-end home like this, then you can afford to maintain it! If you didn't, then it's time to pay the piper.
Mr Smith likes this.
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
Good advice. I'll probably pass on it. The garage roof angle makes it difficult to get a lift in there too. I'd probably still have to get out of the bucket to paint part of those pillars. Also, very easy to do some damage because it is a very tight fit with no margin for error. I've rented boom lifts a few times but am certainly not an expert and haven't used one for 3-4 years. I wouldn't give it a second thought if it was a warehouse or something with a lot of space.

I was trying to figure out ladder placements for about 15 minutes and it had me stumped. That little roof over the front door is less than 2 feet wide and there is window batton trim and part of the 7' high pillar to paint. That pillar alone is difficult because it is round and you have to paint it all at once without stopping or you could get lap lines.

I've attempted to hire roofers to build platforms in the past but nobody shows up or sends a quote for small jobs like that.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 116
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

We do some work in a resort area, and they love to build these 3-story or more chalet-style houses that are perched on the side of a mountain. Usually cedar siding, and many cedar shake roofs.

I have to use the lift. I'm not climbing around on some old busted cedar shakes. You can set the basket down almost on the roof and hop out if you absolutely have to reach some tight spot. At least the basket will keep you from sliding off the roof.

There's a lot of truth in the comments above. People ought not buy things that they can't afford to maintain.
lilpaintchic likes this.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 450
View ThreeSistersPainting's Photo Album My Photos

These arent pics of any of my jobs but one that would represent what is needed to work above a cedar plank roof.

The combination of ladder hooks, ladder jacks, and ladder planks could get you there. Careful planning and execution would be needed to acheive results that would result in productive work. Like stated above, this house carries a higher maintenance cost and that shoudl reflect in the bid price.
Attached Thumbnails
Working on Warped Cedar shakes Roof-11111111111.jpg  

Attached Images

Gymschu likes this.
ThreeSistersPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,130
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

In my area of the midwest, everyone is doing metal roofs. I envision similar scenarios to yours @Mr Smith. There are places with these metal roofs that you cannot stand on let alone try to place any type of roof jacks/racks to be able to access areas needing paint. HO's just don't think about those things, I guess.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #11
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,362
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Correct, homeowners think nothing about future maintenance when they build. There are some clamps available that will work on a standing seam metal roof but not on the popular corrugated kind in lots of areas, including mine. They are around 900 dollars apiece and you would need at least 4 of them to work a roof.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None