Workman's Comp question.... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View stlpainter's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Workman's Comp question....

Anyone here with a crew go without Workmans Comp?

Just found out today that the contractor I work for doesnt have it after He told me he did.

Should I hit the road if you were me?
stlpainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Ummm, should have comp...is he a legit business?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Formerly ModernStyle

Rewards Points: 250
View In Demand's Photo Album My Photos

does he hold out taxes ?
Odds are if he doesnt have workmans comp on you then his liabilty policy will not cover anything you do either. If he is giving you a 1099 then he has you listed as a sub, and even though doing things this way is illegal, as a sub you will have to have all your own insurance policies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Demand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernStyle View Post
does he hold out taxes ?
Odds are if he doesnt have workmans comp on you then his liabilty policy will not cover anything you do either. If he is giving you a 1099 then he has you listed as a sub, and even though doing things this way is illegal, as a sub you will have to have all your own insurance policies.

No I am an employee of his LLC.
Federal and local taxes are held each week.

I am not on a 1099.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Formerly ModernStyle

Rewards Points: 250
View In Demand's Photo Album My Photos

Then he has to have workmans comp, if he doesnt then call the local labor department.

In Demand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

He told you he did. Did he tell you he didn't?

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150
View Wallpaper Gypsy's Photo Album My Photos
Default If I were you...

I'd make sure he is making payroll deposits. Nothing worse than having taxes with held that aren't being paid out. If he lied about one thing... then again, if you aren't covered by worker's comp and you have an accident, you can sue for neglegence. You get more money that way.

Last edited by Wallpaper Gypsy; 08-09-2010 at 06:47 PM..
Wallpaper Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk069 View Post
then again, if you aren't covered by worker's comp and you have an accident, you can sue for neglegence. You get more money that way.
Chances are if he doesnt have comp...its because he cant afford it. So a collecting off of a law suit might not work

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10
View LeogeN's Photo Album My Photos

The way it works in Canada (Nova Scotia):

If your crew has < 3 guys working at one time, you are not required to carry Workers Compensation.

Definition of workers: Anyone getting paid by you to service, this includes employees and subs.

If your General Contractor, or Employer does not carry workers compensation the site where you got hurt is liable.

So, as an example:

If I did not advertise workers compensation, and had a small crew (1-2 people), and was hired by a family to paint their home, and my guys got hurt, the homeowner is actually liable.

Homeowners can pay a premium to have workers comp on their workers while they are there if they do not have coverage. It is obviously very important to ask for a clearance letter by the contractor BEFORE getting them to perform work, as seen above, they are liable.

I use this as an example, -this is the way it works where I am, and yes I do pay for workers compensation (~5% premium). It is the only way we can pick up large commercial clients, because it is one of the first things they ask.

Hopefully you get it figured out, you should give the rep in your area a call and have a chat. Good luck!
LeogeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

In my state (Calif) You are still covered. When you file a claim you will be filing with the Employment Development Department. www.edd.ca.gov/
After you file a injury, they will find out your employer does not carry wc, he's looking at fines and suspension of his lic. EDD would still cover you and bill the employer. Because it is still his responsibility.
I'm assuming most other states are similar.
As the above said check and see if he is paying his/your tax's, and unemployment insurance. If not, they will hit him with back tax's and fines, and you would be expected to pay back taxes and subject to fines. If he is paying you under the table, you can count on the fines. Because that is your responsibility. Unless he was holding the money back and was keeping the money. If that was the case he would probably be going to jail. Most this gets found out when past employees go to collect their unemployment and there is none to collect.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

This a good reason to put your location in your profile, lots of good advice from the guys, but you need to check your local rules, click here.

I did not see it on that site, but if you register, and log in, you may be able to search the database for your employer. My state has a link where it can be verified.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #12

The responsibility would also fall onto the acting GC or property owner. If you got injured on a job and your employer did not carry WC. Basically everyone gonna get hosed. This is why a HO or GC should require proof of WC. I commend a HO every time they request it. Most the time they are scared to ask.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 150
View Wallpaper Gypsy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
The responsibility would also fall onto the acting GC or property owner. If you got injured on a job and your employer did not carry WC. Basically everyone gonna get hosed. This is why a HO or GC should require proof of WC. I commend a HO every time they request it. Most the time they are scared to ask.

That's what I was referring to. Worker's Comp in most states is just a blanket policy to shield the business and property owners from being sued ie: if you are injured on the job, you can't go suing the homeowner or GC. But if you don't have the restrictions placed on you by being covered by a worker's comp policy- you can sue everybody!
Wallpaper Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlpainter View Post
Anyone here with a crew go without Workmans Comp?

Just found out today that the contractor I work for doesnt have it after He told me he did.

Should I hit the road if you were me?
no....................

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (08-09-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
This a good reason to put your location in your profile, lots of good advice from the guys, but you need to check your local rules, click here.

I did not see it on that site, but if you register, and log in, you may be able to search the database for your employer. My state has a link where it can be verified.
I live in St. Louis, Missouri.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
He told you he did. Did he tell you he didn't?
He told me today that he didnt when i asked him point blank before getting on a fully extended twenty footer.

When he told me, i told him that i refuse to get that high on a ladder without WC coverage.

The HO specifically asked my boss if he had it and lied straight to her face a couple days ago.

If you were in my position, would you work for a GC without Workmans Comp???
Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #17
SeHablaEspaņol

Rewards Points: 500
View AztecPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Hmm... Interesting question. Don't you need a letter of clearance before you even start working for someone in order to get a contract just to make sure you have paid all your fees and your employees are protected? But I don't know the rules in the States, so I don't know... Weird Rules eh!
><
>
AztecPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlpainter View Post
He told me today that he didnt when i asked him point blank before getting on a fully extended twenty footer.

When he told me, i told him that i refuse to get that high on a ladder without WC coverage.

The HO specifically asked my boss if he had it and lied straight to her face a couple days ago.

If you were in my position, would you work for a GC without Workmans Comp???
yup, i would truck on or find another job.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #19

You got the HO to go after if you fall. Here's another thought, don't fall. If you worked for me I would be a little concerned that you kept asking me about wc. Like, do you want cash in?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #20

Wait a min, business owners are not covered on their WC policy, now what am I gonna do? what a bunch of BS

Tags
None