Would you hire this guy? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View PinnacleResidential's Photo Album My Photos
Default Would you hire this guy?

Edited to protect the innocent
Attached Images

Last edited by PinnacleResidential; 02-22-2009 at 04:59 PM..
PinnacleResidential is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos

Well he proved that he's got a decent set of brushes and he can cut a straight line on dark to light colors (unless he found the pic on the interweb).

Does he have any hobbies such as knitting? Does he take his Mother shopping? Whist Drive on thursday evenings after the prayer meeting?
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #3

Had a closer look at what I thought was brushes (looking at the thumbnail). The rollers all lined up remind me of something. Can't for the life of me think what. Maybe "Choose your weapon" lol.

A bit too perfect if you ask me. Looking at the prep in covering that floor. I'm wondering how long it would take somebody to go to that extreme.

Maybe he's genuine enough. Who knows...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #4

I'm not questioning him as a person. Just have never seen a pro buy that many gallons of Behr - or use tape on a ceiling. He is pristine from what I see in the pics........

But taped ceilings? A painter should be able to cut a ceiling by hand.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #5

Actually, I take back the bit about cutting a straight line. The lid is masked in the blue tape pic
Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #6

Yup sorry. I posted at the same time as you did. I just thought it unusual that somebody would line up their rollers like that. Actually, it struck me as very odd.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Weird huh?

Like I said, nice guy.........

But this site makes me think "extreme DIYer"
Old 02-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75
View zerowned's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinnacleResidential View Post
I put an ad out that I was looking for a professional, experienced painter. Someone that knew what he was doing, was eclectic in his skill set, and who could be personable with our clients.........

I got a response the next day from a guy that seemed nice, intelligent, and genuinely a good guy. Said he had 5 years of experience owning his own outfit.........

Then he sent me some pics to look at........

Tough to see because they are so small. But the first is a taped ceiling. The second is rollers and trays set up displaying all the different colors he painted the house. Problem is, the cans of paint say Behr.

Take a closer look here...
removed.url
Odd to you too???
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooledUp View Post
Actually, I take back the bit about cutting a straight line. The lid is masked in the blue tape pic

no no no, in the pic with all the cans.... the middle can is missing a roller cage.... wheres waldo?

Last edited by zerowned; 02-22-2009 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: removed url
zerowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #9

I should read posts properly first time round. Didn't see the bit about the taped ceiling

It's late here. Worked late today and not concentrating. I'm going to bed so I can get up early and start all over again.

The work does look extremely well done but the methods look extreme and unprofessional. Obviously a self taught guy who can turn out a nice job but probably wouldn't make you much/any money because of the time it takes him. Can'tcomment on the behr because we haven't got it here but I've read enough to know that it aint the best choice
Old 02-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #10

edited

Last edited by PinnacleResidential; 02-22-2009 at 04:59 PM..
Old 02-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #11

I don't even think that Behr is the worst paint out there......

I just can't imagine a pro using HD as his main vendor......

His work does look nice though.....
Old 02-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #12
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 182
Thanked 8,654 Times in 4,039 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooledUp View Post
Had a closer look at what I thought was brushes (looking at the thumbnail). The rollers all lined up remind me of something. Can't for the life of me think what. Maybe "Choose your weapon" lol.

A bit too perfect if you ask me. Looking at the prep in covering that floor. I'm wondering how long it would take somebody to go to that extreme.

Maybe he's genuine enough. Who knows...
Well, he certainly looks organized. I cant fault him on the Behr paint. If thats what the homeowner insisted on, he may not have had a choice. It's happened to me on a 7K sf interior. And over the years I've had multiple customers insist on masking tape/paper. I remember getting bitched out by an HO because my guys werent using tape and masking. If thats what they want to see and they're paying for; thats what they're going to get.

I'd be willing to bet his customers are happy...and happy customers tell other potential customers. People want to see their property protected.

I think if I were interviewing him I'd have to ask if all his jobs are prepped like that...and maybe remark something about taping a cut line on the ceiling. If I could get the productivity out of someone like that, I wouldnt have a problem hiring him. Your business, your call.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #13

Go with your gut mate. I think you're right to decline his application. That is unless you want to take him and do some moulding.

Right I'm to catch some kip.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75
View PrecisionPainting's Photo Album My Photos

id give him a chance, id had no exp.. when my boss gave me a chance, 4 years later still working for him and running my own little business. Cant judge him until you work with him.
PrecisionPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #15

edited

Last edited by PinnacleResidential; 02-22-2009 at 05:00 PM..
Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinnacleResidential View Post
I'm not trying to be judgemental......

although I must say that if I posted those pictures and claimed them to be mine, you guys would have my a$$.....

Anyway, I replied to his inquiry with this email:

The website looks good. What I am looking for is a professional painter that is capable of high-quality interior and exterior painting and staining. I need somebody that can get along well with others, show up on time every day, and who is multi-faceted. I am hoping that the candidate has experience with airless and hvlp sprayers as well.. One major aspect of our work is deck restoration. You must be prepared for long days and sore knees with such work. Experience in this field is also preferred. Finally, please be ready for heights. The highest ladder you will be expected to climb is 32', however, you may also find yourself on 40' scaffolding, or 60' man lifts. This is part of your job. Be prepared for it.

Above and beyond all else, Pinnacle employees are required to be kind, courteous, and professional with clients. You must present yourself in a respectable manner. You are expected to clean your uniforms, and yourself, on a regular basis. Any inappropriate conversations at work (i.e. drugs, alcohol, cursing, etc) will absolutely not be tolerated. Any drug or alcohol use on the job will lead to immediate termination. You will also be required to maintain a valid drivers license. Our company vehicles are commercially insured and you may be asked to drive them from time to time. Suspended / revoked licenses, and/or DUI/DWI's will lead to your immediate termination. Pinnacle retains a very loyal customer base. Our clients expect professionals, please act like one.

To which he replied:

I appreciate you providing this information but this does not sound like a position I am interested in.
Thanks
It all sounded good. what was the pay starting at?
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #17

Hadn't gotten to it yet. My typical starting pay is a daily salary somewhere between $125 and $175 per day depending on your skill level. I pay per estimated day to motivate employees to finish jobs on time. So, if I estimate the job at 4 days, I'd pay the employee for 4 days of work whether it took 2 days, 3 days, 4 days, or 5.

I'm in Michigan, I was surprised the guy turned ME down before discussing compensation. It's not like there's much out there right now.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Sounded pretty straight forward to me. I would of taken it to the next step of the process if i was him.
Maybe he was on drugs without a license and was afraid of heights.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

I agree that a good painter should not have to tape off a ceiling, or virtually anything for that matter. But all of us had to learn sometime and from someone. We weren't born with these skills.

The first rule in hiring is hire attitude. You can teach skills. If he has the right attitude, he will be eager to learn how to do the work more efficiently, better, etc.

One way to find out a lot is to have him paint a door or window. I keep a bunch in my warehouse for this purpose. Hand him some paint and tell him to paint the door/ window. You can find out a lot by doing that and it just costs you a little time.

Brian Phillips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Boy, he sure covered that trim with blue tape. See right there is enough for me to know if he is good or not. First of all you should be able to cut around a door for sure.If you hired a guy like this, how long do you think it will take him to tape around all the doors in the interior? That would be one day's work for him right there.Just give me a guy that don't know didly and I will train him from the start, that's a much easier job.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None