Would you work by the hour? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View sir paintalot's Photo Album My Photos
Default Would you work by the hour?

Hey Everyone:
I'm in the Vancouver BC area. Right now I have no work booked, I know that will change soon as it always has for the last 25 years....I got a call from a guy to paint apartments by the hour. The job includes sanding drywall....and then re-painting walls. All materials are supplied. He says he pays his "regular" painter 25/hr, he's a full time employee so I guess that's within the range. I usually charge out at 50/hr and luckily have averaged that over the last 15 years or so. 50 sounds like a lot but with lunch breaks I usually am at it for 6-7 hours a day. Thats only 300-350 per day and of course I am very productive.
He says he can give me 35/hr. so that's 210-245 per day. What do you think? Should I lower my price and work or stay proud and wait for the calls to start coming in?

Thanks for your time in advance.
sir paintalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 31
View Macsimus's Photo Album My Photos

I would take the work.
Macsimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250
View Slingah's Photo Album My Photos

why not?? unless you don't need the money. ....your helping him out & visa versa....
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #4

View zerowned's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir paintalot View Post
Hey Everyone:
I'm in the Vancouver BC area. Right now I have no work booked, I know that will change soon as it always has for the last 25 years....I got a call from a guy to paint apartments by the hour. The job includes sanding drywall....and then re-painting walls. All materials are supplied. He says he pays his "regular" painter 25/hr, he's a full time employee so I guess that's within the range. I usually charge out at 50/hr and luckily have averaged that over the last 15 years or so. 50 sounds like a lot but with lunch breaks I usually am at it for 6-7 hours a day. Thats only 300-350 per day and of course I am very productive.
He says he can give me 35/hr. so that's 210-245 per day. What do you think? Should I lower my price and work or stay proud and wait for the calls to start coming in?

i live on vancouver island and the most regular painters make between 10-25 an hour. a person i know who is doing the apprenticeship thing is only making 20 an hour and has no work right now. take what you can get right now until the market gets better or risk not having any money in the short term.
zerowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Hey Everyone:

Depends - is this guy going to '1099' you and expect you to provide all your own tools and liability insurance - and not even guarantee 8 hour days? I'd say walk real fast. If you are of the ilk that 'some' money is better than 'no' money than just remember any analysis of your 'numbers' will show that what you could call remotely 'salary' is at best $6/hr. This is only at best a short term gig in order to borrow money against yourself until a real cash flow from your own work comes in and pay back all the bills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #6

View cy hundley's Photo Album My Photos

I would for sure take that gig, explaining that you have your own biz, and eventually you will need to return to it. Maybe you commit for a certain length of time, and all the while keep up your advertising and start booking your own clients for when the committment ends. You may even get leads from this job. Good luck.
cy hundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

maybe try to snake the work out from under him,,,,thats always an option. it has been done to me several times, but youll probably need to beat his price.
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 1,001 Times in 524 Posts
View premierpainter's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=plainpainter;60384]Depends - is this guy going to '1099' you and expect you to provide all your own tools and liability insurance - and not even guarantee 8 hour days? I'd say walk real fast. If you are of the ilk that 'some' money is better than 'no' money than just remember any analysis of your 'numbers' will show that what you could call remotely 'salary' is at best $6/hr. This is only at best a short term gig in order to borrow money against yourself until a real cash flow from your own work comes in and pay back all the bills.[/quote
How is that a $6 an hour at best salary?
If he has no work, take the job. Some money is better than no money, no matter how he is employed. 1099 is fine, just submit your taxes. Take the job.
premierpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #9

View zerowned's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
How is that a $6 an hour at best salary?
If he has no work, take the job. Some money is better than no money, no matter how he is employed. 1099 is fine, just submit your taxes. Take the job.

6 dollars is better than no dollars per hour. times like these call for taking jobs you normally wouldnt.

I don't think 1099 is relevant in Canada but there is a separate term for that but i don't know what it is exactly. like he said in his original post he would be employed under that person if i read correctly, so he would be on a payroll and hopefully his taxes would be deducted like a normal paying job.
zerowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

I agree there are millions of Americans out there that would die for 35$ hr... If you have no work,take it!

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #11

View sir paintalot's Photo Album My Photos

I'm gonna start with one apartment on friday and see how it goes. I really hate working by the hour...always feel like I'm being watched , just hate that. I know for a fact that my hour is twice as productive as guys making 25/hr. After contracting for 25 years, going flat out is all I know so I know for sure this guy is going to get a crazy good deal paying me 35. It's just a big adjustment from contract work...
Thanks for all your replys, they helped me to make a decision!

Cheers
sir paintalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

I doubt you are going to be the same painter on the clock as you are on your own. I would take the work too, but I find that I work differently under those two circumstances.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #13

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

Was thinking about this. I would tell him that I would take either the 35/hr or what he was paying the other guys to get the units done.. which ever was more. If you get it done faster.. then he gets his units painted faster, and you get what he would have charged normally. Both you guys come out smelling like roses.
nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,924
Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post
I doubt you are going to be the same painter on the clock as you are on your own. I would take the work too, but I find that I work differently under those two circumstances.
thats a shame, I always give 100%,
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
thats a shame, I always give 100%,

yeah I know...

WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,924
Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post
yeah I know...

lol
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #17
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
Depends - is this guy going to '1099' you and expect you to provide all your own tools and liability insurance - and not even guarantee 8 hour days?
This is a very valid point. Your net is going to depend entirely on what you have to pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
I'd say walk real fast. If you are of the ilk that 'some' money is better than 'no' money than just remember any analysis of your 'numbers' will show that what you could call remotely 'salary' is at best $6/hr. This is only at best a short term gig in order to borrow money against yourself until a real cash flow from your own work comes in and pay back all the bills.
I don't agree with this, but only because there are too many unknowns. It might be a decent gig; it might be a total bomb. Without knowing all of the numbers, we really can't say.

To answer the original question, I can only say that short term thinking breeds short term results. If you use this as a stepping stone to your long term goals, then it might be worth doing. But if you do it only to bring in some money today, while neglecting your long term goals, it will do you more harm than good.

Brian Phillips

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #18
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Hey Everyone:

I agree with Brian in that if it is keeping you from moving forward then you should look for other sources of revenue. BUT if it is a matter of putting food on the table it is ridiculous to say stay home and make nothing as opposed to working by the hour for something. Unless you don't need to eat then taking the stance that I would only work for top dollar regardless would probably make sense to some.

Consider it as fill work.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #19
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by high fibre View Post
maybe try to snake the work out from under him,,,,thats always an option. it has been done to me several times, but youll probably need to beat his price.
OK, I guess my opinion of people actually can get lower.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #20
In and Out painter

View Ardee's Photo Album My Photos

You said you hve no work booked. The way I see it is if you can get 30 hours a week for 50 weeks=$52500 per year. If you normally charge $50 per hour you will need to work 1050 hours for the same money. If you normally book in 1051 hours or more in your season then you should turn the offer down or hire help to do both his work and your normal bookings when the time comes.

Good luck.
Ardee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None