Your Perfect Client - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos
Default Your Perfect Client

What would be your perfect client.
Mine would be a general contractor that looks at you as part as their team, rather than a red headed step child. One that helps look out for your best interest, rather than taking advantage at every opportunity. One that values your professional advice, rather than disregarding what you have to say. One that communicates with you (pay, schedule, scope, ect), rather than keep you wondering. One that expects a fair bid, rather than the cheapest. One that pays their bills, rather than dodging you (even when they haven't been paid for the job). One that keeps the unit clean, rather handing you the broom. One that expects every trade to respect the other trades, rather than letting their favorite get out of hand. One that has respect for your time, rather than being late and expecting you to wait around. Ohhh k it's not a perfect world but it's a great thought.
I actually have a client that is most of those above. Just not a lot of work right now. Just added that to my list.
One that has a lot of work, rather than no work.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (11-23-2009)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #2

BTW if you are a lurking GC I described above^^^ click on my link below vvv and click contact us. I'm willing to travel.

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 11-23-2009 at 02:34 PM..
Old 11-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75
View woodtradesman's Photo Album My Photos

I'm afraid those ideal candidates are a very rare breed.
woodtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodtradesman For This Useful Post:
nEighter (11-23-2009), One Coat Coverage (11-23-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 14,610
Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,909 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

A homeowner that is richer than God...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
nEighter (11-23-2009)
Old 11-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #5

What if their richer than God but cheaper than the devil?
4ThGeneration (11-23-2009)
Old 11-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Mine would be a general contractor that looks at you as part as their team, rather than a red headed step child. One that helps look out for your best interest, rather than taking advantage at every opportunity. One that values your professional advice, rather than disregarding what you have to say. One that communicates with you (pay, schedule, scope, ect), rather than keep you wondering. One that expects a fair bid, rather than the cheapest. One that pays their bills, rather than dodging you (even when they haven't been paid for the job). One that keeps the unit clean, rather handing you the broom. One that expects every trade to respect the other trades, rather than letting their favorite get out of hand. One that has respect for your time, rather than being late and expecting you to wait around. Ohhh k it's not a perfect world but it's a great thought.
Aren't all GC's that way ?

Seriously, looks like I have had more luck than I deserve
(now to find some wood to knock on - ahh there some is)

That little job we just had out west (that's what we Bostonians call anything beyond the Connecticut River ) the GC was insistant that it was a team working on the house and that he would NOT be bullied or taken advantage of by any sub. It was a very pleasant site to work on. Respect was shown by all and to all.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
hopeless perfectionist

Rewards Points: 156
View Picky Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I know a GC who is absolutely everything you described ewing, no exageration. He builds custom homes with absolutely no cheap corner-cutting practices. All subtrades are the best the area has to offer. If the floor finisher tells him the house must be empty for 10 days while he sands/stains/poly's the floor, thats what he gets. He will even get his crew to blow out all drywall dust from the walls and ceilings so we have nice clean drywall to prime. Over the last 4 years I've had a 1' utility knife go missing, that's it. I've seen subtrades leave their dewalt or milwaukee cordless radios around for weeks, nothing gets stolen. If you have trouble getting paid by this guy, then you've done something terribly wrong to deserve it. It's a shame that there's only two houses a year to paint from this guy.
Picky Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

last couple made me cookies, always a warm cup of coffee and even went and picked up some lil ceasars hot n' ready for lunch one day That is my kind of client.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEighter View Post
last couple made me cookies, always a warm cup of coffee and even went and picked up some lil ceasars hot n' ready for lunch one day That is my kind of client.
"Next time Mr & Mrs PerfectCustomer make sure the sauce is made from fresh picked tomatoes from your garden."
nEighter (11-23-2009)
Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Mine is a homeowner who values their home, respects my crew, and pays after the job is done. Don't care for much else.
The Following User Says Thank You to y.painting For This Useful Post:
nEighter (11-23-2009)
Old 11-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #11

Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

I write into my repaint contacts- must have cookies or other baked goods and coffee waiting to start day.
I'm batting about 200....
Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500
View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushJockey View Post
I write into my repaint contacts- must have cookies or other baked goods and coffee waiting to start day.
I'm batting about 200....

I may need to add that in the small print waaaaay at the bottom and wait to see who catches it. LOL. If they don't, it would be pretty funny to show up on the first day with the contract and point it out with a straight face that there is supposed to be cookies or baked goods present or the contract is VOID!

Last edited by painttofish; 11-23-2009 at 07:33 PM..
painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by painttofish View Post
I may need to add that in the small print waaaaay at the bottom and wait to see who catches it. LOL. If they don't, it would be pretty funny to show up on the first day with the contract and point it out with a straight face that there is supposed to be cookies or baked goods present or the contract is VOID!
added, fee for not having cookies $100.00, $200.00 no coffee, $300.00 no baked goods. daily fees will be charged accordingly
Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #14

View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

No cookie, No coffee!..........No Paint for You!!

painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #15

Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by painttofish View Post
No cookie, No coffee!..........No Paint for You!!
That's the spirit!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
hopeless perfectionist

Rewards Points: 156
View Picky Painter's Photo Album My Photos

On the other side of the coin is the heartless HO who flat refuses to allow tradesmen to use the little boy's room. These jerks must be total germaphobes or something.

One of my favorite "nice HO" stories is from 3 years ago. A big custom home was 5 weeks behind due to a truss issue(HO didnt like the pitch of the cathederal ceiling, not steep enough). All us subs were asked to pour the coal to it to meet the move-in deadline. Not once, but twice, the HO showed up in the evening and found us working away and ran back into town to get us some take-out pizza. We even got to choose our toppings lol.

Last edited by Picky Painter; 11-23-2009 at 09:08 PM..
Picky Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 102
Thanked 8,629 Times in 4,023 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Great OP Gabe! For the most part, probably 90% of my clients are great to work for...and then you have the few that are change order crazy. Personally I enjoy a client who is "involved" in the process but stands back and let's you get the job done.
Wolfgang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #18

View One Coat Coverage's Photo Album My Photos

My perfect client does not have to be anything special, just as long as they are not getting in the way too much, or trying to supervise my crew and I.
One Coat Coverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Man - this is some of the best fiction I've read in a long time.
Quote:
I actually have a client that is most of those above. Just not a lot of work right now. Just added that to my list.
One that has a lot of work, rather than no work.

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #20
tsevnami

View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
"Next time Mr & Mrs PerfectCustomer make sure the sauce is made from fresh picked tomatoes from your garden."
or at least get some Pizza Hut you cheapos, just because we are painters does not mean we do not have standards!
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None