Applying rubber cove base - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Commercial and Industrial Painting

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 1 Post By Fman
  • 1 Post By Gwarel
  • 2 Post By Whiskey
  • 1 Post By Johnny_inFL
  • 3 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 2 Post By CobraCDN

Old 04-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,022
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Applying rubber cove base

I got a request for an estimate to paint a bunch of offices but they want the rubber cove baseboards installed. I've never done it and I'm not a handyman type.

I know I won't get the painting work if other contractors offer the cove installation.

Maybe I can hire a handyman. What's the going rate to install that sh*t?

Last edited by Mr Smith; 04-17-2019 at 08:42 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,499
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
I got a request for an estimate to paint a bunch of offices but they want the rubber cove baseboards installed. I've never done it and I'm not a handyman type.

I know I won't get the painting work if other contractors offer the cove installation.

I think you just glue them on with PL or the likes. I imagine around $1.50/lin.ft? Cut them square in the corners. Not sure how you would do an outside corner..

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Fman and Johnny_inFL like this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,978
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post

Oh, you can do it! IDK what to charge for it but it's pretty easy. You might have to trial and error on inside and outside corners but it's mostly straight runs. If you know any carpet guys, they'll teach you how to do the corners.
Mr Smith likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 818
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

Same thing happened to me. I went to Youtube, bought the gun, Googled the price per foot and figured it out pretty quick. You got this.
Brushman4 likes this.
Gwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 42
View Whiskey's Photo Album My Photos

Easy to do. I do it often for the College I work for. Get large caulking gun and adhesive spreader at Home Depot or carpet store. Cut the base at inside corners and on outside corners scar the back side and prefold the corner before applying adhesive. Have a hot glue gun also for some of the stubborn outside corners that don't stay tight to the wall.
Mr Smith and Johnny_inFL like this.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Retired Painter/Carpenter

Rewards Points: 36
View Johnny_inFL's Photo Album My Photos

I had "one" very bad experience with the base with Self-Stick Adhesive.
I agree with above: a good construction adhesive or contact cement.
Mr Smith likes this.
Johnny_inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 14
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Speak of the devil...Iím currently performing a 1st time installation on 6 rooms and was just reading the tech sheet on the wall base adhesive I bought, stating the adhesive cannot be used on non-porous surfaces. I primed the drywall with BM 023 primer. The tech sheet states that paint needs to be removed...I think Iím just running with it. I removed the existing base over unprimed drywall, tearing nearly all the paper off the gypsum. Spent a lot of time on the repairs/skim coating all the walls and priming...hope it sticks and stays! Maybe overkill, but Iím doing my cuts on a compound miter saw!

Last edited by Redux; 09-06-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 210
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

You'll need a heat gun. It's not as simple as people are making it out to be. That's why there are contractors making a living doing cove base.

Let the adhesive sit for the proper amount of time. It will work, even if it seems counterintuitive.

Dont use construction adhesive...you're screwing over the next guy. There us a reason it has it's own adhesive. Would you put up wallpaper with liquid nail?
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ParamountPaint For This Useful Post:
firstchoice01 (03-08-2020), Mr Smith (04-19-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 158
View CobraCDN's Photo Album My Photos

Don't use PL, a few of us laughing at that one. Google "Cove Base Nozzle" for your caulking gun, makes it easier, suggestions of having a heat gun handy is bang on also. As painters are concerned, keep the adhesive below the top by at least half an inch, so when you press it on it does not squeeze out the top! Take a bit of trial and error test time.
Cheers

^^The Correct Way ^^
Fman and Brushman4 like this.

Last edited by CobraCDN; 04-25-2019 at 06:40 PM..
CobraCDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,978
Thanked 9,671 Times in 5,510 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I have installed both rubber and clay based cove base. The rubber is a lot stronger and has more of a memory, which makes wrapping corners more difficult. I started replacing wet adhesive with thin carpet adhesive tape. It bonds extremely well. Especially around outside corners. I've yet to remove any cove base with adhesive tape, but I'm sure it's as much of a pain as it is removing dried adhesive.

With the tape, there is virtually no clean up.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None