"Cleaning" prep for an Exposed Ceiling - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Commercial and Industrial Painting

Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos
Default "Cleaning" prep for an Exposed Ceiling

I am working on a bid for a commercial retail space in the mall. The new space calls for an exposed ceiling and is spec'ed for cleaning with mineral spirits prior.

I done plenty of new construction exposed ceilings but never an old space that is bound to be covered in grime and dust. What is the best way to prep this area?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Inspect it would be #1 (may not be that bad) Mall air is usually pretty sanitized.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Wonder why they want you to use MS? Was there a kitchen there at one time?If not I think I would maybe get a large air compressor and a long wand and blow the dust off the framing.You could also attach a brush to the end of the wand.I think I also would want to put up a ladder first and check it out for myself.Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Flog a Mocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
Wonder why they want you to use MS? Was there a kitchen there at one time?If not I think I would maybe get a large air compressor and a long wand and blow the dust off the framing.You could also attach a brush to the end of the wand.I think I also would want to put up a ladder first and check it out for myself.Good luck
Well I don't think a visual is possible. It is a functioning store now (toy store I think) in a mall and I there is a good chance that it is not exposed. I thought about shooting some thinner through the airless with a pole gun but still seems like it would still be a mess and the odor may be a bit much for mall mgt.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Ever look into dry ice pressure washing? I don't know anything about them but I understand there is little or no water? Ask the pressure was guys.
But if they spec mineral spirits....
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 514
View GMack's Photo Album My Photos

How many square feet are you talking about? Just curious becasue this is going to be very labor intensive. You can do anything on a small scale, just pin your ears back and don't stop until you're done but . . .
Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Flog a Mocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack View Post
How many square feet are you talking about? Just curious becasue this is going to be very labor intensive. You can do anything on a small scale, just pin your ears back and don't stop until you're done but . . .
About 3,600sf.

Like I said, I have done new ceilings with minimal prep but not a 20yr old space.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
"Member"

Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Get a estimate from 3 cleaning companies. Tack on 20%. Sub it to them if you get it and hold them accountable for the work.....and net 30 them, plus 10% upon final payment from GC. That way if there is paint failure due to poor cleaning or the architect wants to be a pain you can hold someone accountable and it will not come out of your bottom line.

Last edited by NEPS.US; 12-14-2008 at 11:13 AM..
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,652
Thanked 4,390 Times in 1,918 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US View Post
Get a estimate from 3 cleaning companies. Tack on 20%. Sub it to them if you get it and hold them accountable for the work.....and net 30 them, plus 10% upon final payment from GC. That way if there is paint failure due to poor cleaning or the architect wants to be a pain you can hold someone accountable and it will not come out of your bottom line.
Excellent idea right there!

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:

I think I like that approach the best though you'd probably stand a good chance of being high bidder and not getting the job. Depends how bad you want it

It would be nice to see how bad it is up there because if it isn't greasy at all you could do it yourselves and not worry too much about. It's probably pretty bad up there, though. 20 years.

I'd like to know what you end up doing.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
"Member"

Quote:
I think I like that approach the best though you'd probably stand a good chance of being high bidder and not getting the job. Depends how bad you want it

It would be nice to see how bad it is up there because if it isn't greasy at all you could do it yourselves and not worry too much about. It's probably pretty bad up there, though. 20 years.

I'd like to know what you end up doing.
Not really. I know most cleaning companies bill out at a lower rate and have lower overhead than I do. If I was billing a crew plus profit I would be more expensive.

Another thought is to get out of any liability and have the GC break it out seperate for another sub. I'm realy suprised that the cleaning would be included in the painters price. Most commercial projects I bid are for coatings only. The way it should be.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #12

[quote=NEPS.US;50198]Not really. I know most cleaning companies bill out at a lower rate and have lower overhead than I do. If I was billing a crew plus profit I would be more expensive.

If that's what your numbers are saying than I can't argue with them. Any knowledge I have of cleaning prices are from my father in law who owns a commercial cleaning company and would be very expensive for a job like that. He'd assume worst case and bid for it.

On the other hand, if I really wanted the job, I'd try to get a look up there and if it wasn't too bad, bid it accordingly, and most likely less expensive.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
"Member"

[quote=GMack;50207]
Quote:
I have of cleaning prices are from my father in law who owns a commercial cleaning company and would be very expensive for a job like that. He'd assume worst case and bid for it.

That sums it up right there. If your father in law would price it for the worste case then why wouldnt you? A cleaning job of that size could ruin the paint margin.

If the GC is looking for bottom line pricing then thats not a job I want to begin with.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #14

[quote=NEPS.US;50210]
Quote:

If the GC is looking for bottom line pricing then thats not a job I want to begin with.
Which goes back to the first thing I said about the op's question: It depends how bad you want the job. I already said I like your approach the best, just looking for realistic ways to keep the numbers down.

Tags
None